Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
#106359 07/26/05 02:17 PM
only if you hang them by the neck

[email protected] to book your fishing trips.
#106360 07/26/05 02:19 PM
I concur with Ibanole.....and thought the same, back when she posted the info/concerns.

Many got upset, instead of taking action, to prevent. Don't think there will be any hangings, but the police should could arrest their asses, or are these bad people, connected to the higher up officials.

Several boarders posted of problems over the last year, and others denied the problems.

So sorry to know of his death, and his family's grief.

When something bad happens on AC, it is like it has happened in our own town.

Dare To Deviate
#106361 07/26/05 02:33 PM
S
S
Who would have the nerve to deny these REAL problems now? It's time to come up with solutions rather than argue about whether or not AC has a SERIOUS crime issue.

#106362 07/26/05 02:42 PM
S
S
In previous posts it was indicated it was local kids responsible for jacking golf carts. The argument wasn't that the incidents didn't happen but that it probably wasn't local kids. The ones I've heard to be responsible for this incident are not what I would consider to be local (island born and not recent to the island.) I don't recall anyone being crucfied, there were just differences of opinion on who was responsible.

I also don't think that anyone has denied that there are problems just that certain incidents were blown way out of proportion to make it sound as if this was Kingston, Jamaica.

For those who don't live here it has only been recently that we have experienced such a crime wave (2 or 3 months) and the crimes have been directed at locals not tourists.

The problem is that there is plenty of finger pointing but very little action. In my opinion if the community leaders put aside their politics and came together and worked towards solutions we'd be well ahead of the game. Maybe we need a community rally in front of the Police Station inviting the media from BC.

#106363 07/26/05 02:45 PM
S
S
"Who would have the nerve to deny these REAL problems now?"

Twice I've heard that comment but I've yet to see the evidence.

There is a big difference between putting things in perspective and denying that things happened in the first place.

#106364 07/26/05 02:55 PM
Perspective......denying....get over those two, the security guard is dead.

When the smaller crimes started, one has to know crimes will escalate, if not cracked down on.

Often I think we visitors miss read, your wording, on events. You are kind in all matters, we are more harsh when speaking of crimes, then warm and fuzzy on fun stuff.

Dare To Deviate
#106365 07/26/05 03:00 PM
S
S
well I posted recently about drug probelms and was attacked by so many people that claimed they never saw anything. With drugs comes crime.

This is horrific. I wonder if these kids were high?

#106366 07/26/05 03:11 PM
S
S
"When the smaller crimes started, one has to know crimes will escalate, if not cracked down on."

You're very right, the problem is that it doesn't seemed to have happened. The only thing that has happened is finger pointing.

For the record I do see this a serious problem but it is most certainly not an every day indicator of how things are on the island. Therein lies the problem, first time readers of the board can easily get the wrong impression of our community if the incident is worded in such a way as to indicate we have a huge crime problem. We do have a crime problem but is mainly opportunistic and seasonal and in very rare cases is it violent as happened this morning.

Drive to any convenience store in the US and ask them how many times they have been robbed then do the same thing here on AC. The answers will be very different. Perspective.

Gotto go until late tonight, can't wait to read the thread. Have a good afternoon and please send prayers for the family of the security guard (I feel very bad that I don't even know his name yet.)

#106367 07/26/05 03:50 PM
FROM FM NEWS

San Pedro Police have detained four people in connection with an overnight burglary that left a watchman dead. Just before six o'clock this morning Police went to Fido s Restaurant and Bar on Barrier Reef Drive in San Pedro Town. They saw the body of 50-year-old security guard Antonio Almendarez. Almendarez was gagged and tied to a chair and had injuries to the head. Police Officers on patrol in the area reported seeing Almendarez alive and well sometime around three-30 this morning. Sometime between three-30 and six Fido's was burglarized and Almendarez murdered by the burglars. Police have asked the public s help in solving this latest murder.

#106368 07/26/05 04:29 PM
Our town is grieving.

There has been a rash of burglaries here this last month. Information about it has been kept at a 'need to know' level. Evidently people get riled up, nothing changes and then it happens again the following year. That's just what I was told by a very reliable source who has been involved in the neighborhood watch organization.

Last week at the Chamber of Commerce meeting I suggested we post substantial award money for the arrest AND conviction of anyone committing a crime. I can't say that I felt a lot of support. I mentioned that when Pat Stiley and I posted the BZ $1,000 reward for catching the person poisoning our dogs IT STOPPED!

However, I was chastised (not at the meeting) and told that we have a minor crime wave here every year in the off season. What is said is that people are afraid to identify criminals for fear of recrimination by their families.

The Chamber meeting this Thursday will be dedicated to fighting crime. I'm sure the place will be packed.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,479
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.