Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
#106369 07/26/05 05:11 PM
S
OP Offline
S
It is larger than San Pedro and Ambergris Caye. Belize, as some know, is experiencing very difficult financial times. Adding the increased difficulties of obtaining a US Visa, people are getting desperate.

Not too long ago, I knew everyone on the island, or knew of them. Now, at times, I am concerned (not afraid) to drive or walk in certain areas. A new experience for me on AC, not one that I like.

I see people coming in from other areas of Belize everyday. Looking for work or looking for eazy pickens? I think both. But, San Pedro is not the place to come broke, as we all know, it is very expensive here.

Now we have hustlers, thiefs and thugs moving in on our island because they are "hot" in other areas of Belize. Extra desperate on SP, doing whatever it takes to survive, even murder now.

A very dangerous equation for our very fragile industry.

We have a serious problem in SP, not the US and not Jaimaca, so why compare?

Solution? Many. Talkers, finger pointers, "told you so'ers", even more.

Action? In a private session with various town fathers (not politicians) plans are being made.

Those who want to join forces please PM, together we can make a difference (I know, sounds corny but true).

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
#106370 07/26/05 05:16 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Crackheads aren't so bold and too paranoid, but they'll thief your clothes off the line. No meth probelm here (THANK GOD!) Potheads would be too lazy. Cokeheads usually have funds to support thier expensive habit.

Yes, drugs are always a problem, almost everywhere, I believe the perps are just plain cold and calculating theives, not "high" teens.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
#106371 07/26/05 05:23 PM
Yes, together you can make the difference. (not corny at all) Truth.

Sad Day for sure.

Dare To Deviate
#106372 07/26/05 06:17 PM
...another punch in the gut for San Pedro!! Condolence to family and friends of Antonio Almendarez. I know many of these late night security guards...and they represent what is best in recent San Pedro residents. Obviously...the perpetrators are the worst!! These poorly compensated security guards are the first line against the increasing criminal element in San Pedro. I hope that "Our Man" gets a decent, honorable farewell.

Gone fishing!!
#106373 07/26/05 06:52 PM
I may be out of line here, but bear with me. I am the mother of a Marine. I belong to several groups online for service families. When one of our service members is killed in action, or otherwise, we have someone nearby who volunteers to collect e-mail condolences for the family, and to make a book of these. Unfortunately, I know two local families whose sons have paid the ultimate price, and I can tell you how much these books have meant to them. Is there someone in San Pedro who would volunteer to collect, print, and collate e-mails from the rest of us who can certainly relate to what the family of Mr. Almandarez is feeling, then deliver this to the family?

#106374 07/26/05 09:35 PM
S
S
Bill and kris48 have made excellent points. It would be nice if the community came out in force to the funeral (given that it's in SP) to show our solidarity with his family.

#106375 07/26/05 09:39 PM
S
S
Announce the time and place... I'll be there

#106376 07/26/05 09:41 PM
S
S
Just talked to David from the morning show and hopefully they will be able to push the community to show their support.

#106377 07/26/05 10:33 PM
Is Belize a free country for someone like me who is drug free? Hmmmmm....let me see...I can go to any of the 11 or so crackhouses on the island and buy ummm......crack. But, no thanks, I don't want to. It's not my "scene", I don't want to weigh 90lbs.

But, I can't buy a Beck's beer here. I can't buy 99% of the varieties of fine beer that are mass-manufactured on this planet (forget about the 1000's of microbreweries worldwide). It's illegal to import just about any decent beer to Belize. Try it sometime you're really desperate for some excitement. Even if you offer to pay 200% duty on the beer you're not allowed to import it even for personal use. Which is a shame because I personally know how to use good beer.

You've got a bit of a problem when the sale of hard, HARD drugs are treated with less urgency than the "illegal" importation of good beer. It means that our little country has its priorities skewed, it means that when it comes to preventing REAL crime and catching REAL crimminals we're on the wrong page. Events in San Pedro over the past month have proven this beyond any doubt in my opinion.

I don't know for sure if the crime wave over the past few weeks here on Ambergris Caye was drug related. I'm quite sure it wasn't beer related. (Oh man, if we rob the post office we can buy 3 kilos of beer).

The good news is that I'm free to cross the border to Mexico. There I can drink good beer. Some of it is Mexican. Some is imported. Mexico allows beer to be imported from different countries. Yet Mexico still has an incredibly healthy local beer industry. The "Superior" Beer Girls are still in business despite the passage of other beers to Mexico. It's my duty to try these different beers and I solemnly carry it out. I have to pay more than double for an imported beer, but at least I'm allowed to. And, I still enjoy my Mexican beer while in Mexico.

Just as I would still enjoy my Belikin Belizean beer here.

I know this post is on a ramble, I guess my point is that Belize has chosen the wrong crimes to fight.

#106378 07/26/05 11:46 PM
Maybe the Saltwater Croc's should be the hired guns....works for me.

Very Sad day and Sorry to hear of this mans death I do send my condolences to his family...

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 68 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,480
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.