Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
#106379 07/27/05 06:12 AM
My condolences to the family of Mr. Antonio Almendarez and may he rest in peace.

#106380 07/27/05 09:34 AM
K
K
SIN, How is obtaining a US visa going to improve the economic situation in Belize?

#106381 07/27/05 09:44 AM
I
I
I was very sadden when I heard what had happen in my island...Most of all I was sock. On Nov 2 it will be three years that this similar incident happen at Elvis Kitchen, and what happen? the man found with blood in the yard turned into crown evidence and was FREED. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE SYSTEM HERE IN BELIZE??? The crown witness mentioned in all his statements a man by the name of Clevland May AKA may may. I was not surprise to hear when he was arrested again on Tuesday 26/7/05 for questioning for the murder of the security guard at Fidos. The police officers here in Belize need to tighten their belts and do proper investigations. WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO NOW??? TURN THIS "MAY MAY" INTO CORWN WITNESS AND FREE HIM??? I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED. COME ON OFFICERS OPEN YOUR EYES AND DO YOUR JOBS...INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE PAYING FOR CRIMES IN JAIL.
CONCERNED RESIDENT.

#106382 07/27/05 10:24 AM
It always hits home more strikingly when a violent crime is committed in a small community. I feel for the family of the victim of any violent crime. It is also sad when people's vision of 'paradise' and a safe escape is marred by the real world. As is seen in any developing area, when you have a deprived community confronted with the prosperity and excess of a wealthy community sprouting on their doorstep, these things are inevetible. The only thing, in my opinion and experience, that will stem the tide of rising crime on AC is to make sure that the gap between haves and have nots does not get any wider and does not forge resentment and envy. Low wages, the exploitation of workers, outrageous excesses and waste all rub the noses of the poor in it and create a climate where crime may not always be condoned but may be tolerated amongst those who have the least.

I am not in any way saying what has happened is right or acceptable, but I am saying that unless some work is done to ensure that everyone on AC feels included in the growing perception of prosperity on the island, the paradise will not continue.

I am all for punishing the perpetrators severely, but that is closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

#106383 07/27/05 10:48 AM
May Antonio Almendarez rest in peace....

My ramble for the day:

The police are just as upset and just as distressed as we are. Artful attorneys can utilize the technicalities in the law to get many guilty criminals free - often before the public has even heard of the crime. Our police force is doing its best and they are receiving better training and more central government support now than in any other time in this town's history.

Where are these teens parents?

I vote that all adults 18 years and older that are not gainfully employed be sent back to where they come from unless their families live here and support them.

The reason drugs are so prevelant in this town is because there is obviously a demand for it. And this demand is both from locals and tourists. We also have widespread prostitution - same type of demand.

Unfortunately, when a town grows from a population of 300 to 10,000 over 25 years the growing pains can be out of control at times.

It is going to take a strong community to reign the terror back in.

We cannot begin being vigalantes - this will simply compound the problems.

We can be ever vigilant. Start reporting suspicious activity, start calling the cops when there are bums loitering around your neighbourhood.

Many people complain that the cops don't come when I call, so I don't call! Well I have never had that problem. However, when I call the cops I ask them if they have a mode of transporation to get to me, if they don't I rent them a golf cart or call a cab or a water taxi.

The resources in this town for our crime fighters are extrememly limited, the governments coffers are stretched to the limited. If we want more help from the police, we might need to help them too.

For those of you that spend most of your time trying to avoid paying your rightful taxes - at least donate some needed money now. It can be to the neighbourhood watch or the chamber of commerce so that committees can target the most critical areas of need.

I am a great believer in capital punishiment. I think Belize city should re-erect the hanging noose in front of the court house, for everybody to see. That should be enough to weaken some of the criminals resolve, and then we should have a hanging or 2, or 3 - hey I can't stand the idea that my tax dollars pay to feed and house many of the death row convicts in Hattieville.

We have wild crocodiles and sharks...... I have heard that these creatures occasionally enjoy a midnight snack.

#106384 07/27/05 11:05 AM
S
OP Offline
S
PROACTIVE SOLUTION (not acne medication):

ANTI-CRIME RALLY THU. JULY 28TH, 7PM in front of the Reef Radio Studio (across from Milo's Money Exchange).

All are urged to come and show ISLAND SOLIDARITY to take control of OUR ISLAND.

Please leave the political rhetoric and biased opinions on how to run things behind. This is a show of support and to voice everyones's opinion (even those we/you/I may not agree with).

The organizers believe this is the genisis of turning the tide on this vital issue.

See you there. SUGGEST THE WEARING OF WHITE T-SHIRTS.

SIN

FYI: Alcohol is a drug also, but this belongs in a seperate forum.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
#106385 07/27/05 11:09 AM
Collyk,I have a completely different perspective. The reason so many of these people of lesser means than some of us are on the island is because of the jobs that have been created by those with more wealth. The demand for restaurants, hotels and condos, etc is what is creating those jobs. And, people from not only Belize, but other Cental American countries are coming because of those jobs. Many of those jobs pay much more than these people could make in the countries they come from or even in other parts of Belize.

Further, criminal activity is criminal activity, and the net worth of anyone participating in criminal activity should not have and does not have under the law any bearing on that persons responsibility to obey the law.

If you do a search and read about the views on crime discussed on this forum in the past, it is appalling that it takes such a violent and horrible act to get some people to realize the seriousness of the situation and not dispel it with the faulty logic that Ambergris is more safe or has less crime than other places. Only when the people who live on Ambergris Caye and also those who visit are willing to recognize the seriousness of the problems will there begin to be solutions to the problems. You can think and wish that Ambergris Caye is the paradise you want it to be, but it will only be that paradise when it is made and kept that way by people willing to recognize problems and address them. They are not going to go away on their own.

#106386 07/27/05 11:45 AM
Security Guard Killed in San Pedro
It's the most popular tourist destination in Belize but, it is still in Belize, and San Pedro's prime tourism status gives it no ease from the wave of violent crimes sweeping across the country. Still, tonight the residents and visitors in San Pedro are in stunned disbelief after a security guard was killed at a prominent establishment in the center of town.

Popular restaurant and entertainment center, Fido's located on Barrier Reef Drive was the scene of the vicious homicide of 50 year old Antonio Almendarez. Alfonso Noble found out that the security guard was killed for a few thousand dollars.

Alfonso Noble Reporting, [[email protected]]
Fido's Entertainment Director Tony Brown and other employees looked on and wept in disbelief and grief this afternoon as the body of 50 year old Antonio Almendarez was taken out of his place of employment in a body bag. Amidst a throng of onlookers it was carted down the steps of Fido's in downtown San Pedro and placed inside a police pickup truck and transferred to an awaiting boat from where it was taken to Belize City for a post mortem.

Almendarez was the watchman for Fido's and police believe he was killed sometime between 4 and 6 this morning in a robbery. Brown says he saw Almendarez at around 12:30 last night when he helped him to lock up the place.

Tony Brown, Entertainment Director - Fido's
"I came here at midnight last night to bring the keys so he can lock up and then I left and then I got a call that he's dead. Last night 3:30 in the morning I had a dream about my mom dying and I wake up and I don't know what's going on. Then I came here at 6:45 this morning and found out this happened. I closed the place with him last night."

Thereafter Almendarez was seen talking to another watchman at around 3:45 this morning on the beach. That is the last time he was seen alive.

Police believe robbers caught Almendarez inside the establishment and bashed him to the right side of the head with a crowbar. They then placed a cloth inside his mouth and taped it. His handcuff was used to secure his hands at his back and he was made to lie face down on the ground where he died either of asphyxia or from the blow to the head. Thereafter the men made their way to the upper flat of the building where they pried open a safe and made off with a cash pan that was inside the safe.

Police believe the robbers made off with US$6,000 in 50's and 100's and about BZ$2,000. Today everyone on the island was totally shocked at the events of this morning.

Tony Brown,
"Usually its all good. Nobody ever messes with this because he says hello to everybody and he's just a normal person and then they just came at him. We don't expect this."

And while a killing was totally unexpected businessmen on the island say that crime has escalated over the past couple of years. Just this year alone businesses have been the prime target for burglaries.

Tony Brown,
"You see all these robberies going on in San Pedro right now? All these craziness going on here and there is not one police patrol. Not one on this main street with all these businesses. These officers are supposed to protect us, that's there job and there was not one on the street with all these robberies. It is not even safe for the people. They robbed the post office, they robbed this place, they robbed the place next door the night before. They should patrols on the main street where the economy is coming from. They should protect the businesses because its not people they have to protect because there are no people on the streets, they have to protect the businesses. How can you rob a post office? You know what I am saying. In the United States how can you rob a post office?"

Tony Bono, Businessman
"When I came here in 1998 everyone one of these docks where the water taxis come and go and at the airport, you saw a police presence. You would see them shaking people down. There was a police presence. Man I could go anywhere on this island, that's why me and my wife moved here. In this last year you do not see a policeman, you don't see them. They don't walk the beach, they don't check people coming on and off these docks. At night there are 2 or 3 on duty when there should be more on duty at night than during the day. I've been burglarized five times since I've been here. I've caught the thieves twice and they didn't do a day. I never got anything back, no reparations - no nothing."

Now that feeling of helplessness has at least one businessman looking at his options.

Tony Bono,
"I am going to go to Belmopan, as a policeman suggested to me, because we own apartments, we own a bar, and I'm going to get permitted for a gun now. It's gotten so bad that they stop golf carts down south to rob people. Anybody tries to rob me I'm going to take care of them. Anybody touches my wife I'm going to take care of them and here's why, and this is documented here, look at an old man beaten to death. They robbed the Co-op three days after lobster season opened. How do you rob a post office? Alright. I mean there's no police presence. There has got to be policemen on the street at night walking around, not all in the police station."

Tony Brown,
"These babies on the beach right now, they see the yellow lines and everything but what are you going to tell them? Somebody came and killed the man? I am not going to tell no baby that. Somebody came and killed a man unarmed and they are supposed to feel safe about the future of their country?"

The yellow tape that ran across the usually peaceful beaches of San Pedro gives him the answer and that is that maybe why San Pedro may still be La Isla Bonita but in these days, beauty is tainted by the appearance of crime's ugly under belly.

Police have picked up a pair of suspects in connection with this crime. They are two young men accused of robbing the town board of its safe less than two weeks ago. They had been remanded because they could not meet the $10,000 bail, but when they re-applied to court, against the police prosecutor's objection, the bail was lowered and they were released pending trial. Now, as the investigations progress, they may face charges again.

#106387 07/27/05 11:49 AM
Given the increase in wealth on the island and the fact that those that are the wealthiest are in a position to help the poorest (who cannot pay for a water taxi or golf cart when they need police assistance), wouldn't it be useful to start a fund to provide proper support for the police to fill the gaps in financial support that the government obviously cannot or will not fill.

Incidentally it is usually the poorest (the security guards etc) who suffer the most from crime. Those who have been robbed of money are victims of material crime. Those that lose their lives protecting money are usually not paid very well.

www.conchcreative.com

#106388 07/27/05 12:02 PM
Bywarren,

I don't disagree with you in the slightest. I understand that those who may be committing some of the serious crimes on AC are not from the island. But remember that before the wealth, there were many people of limited wealth on AC and throughout Belize. The problem is whenever wealth develops in close proximity to poverty, crime will increase. It happens everywhere. All over the world. I do not negate the seriousness of the crimes and think it is bloody awful for anyone directly involved. Nevertheless, people need to be aware that in a poor country, where education is not free, opportunities are few, unemployment is high and disenfranchisement is high - the frustrated young who feel that they have no hope will commit crimes against both rich and poor in an opportunistic fashion. If there is not sufficient resources to police this, combined with a perceived increase in disparity between both populations, people will have to choose between living in isolated 'gated' communities or find a way of reducing the inclination of disaffected youth (may I say they are primarily male) by providing or forcing the government to provide outlets and opportunities for them. Whether in the form of national service, vocational training etc. I hope to live on AC in the not to distant future and do not see it as paradise. But I feel sorry for those who do and who have had their illusions shattered. I completely agree that it is sad that it has taken the death of a 50 year old man who has given his life for the sake of a few thousand belonging to someone else to motivate people to get together to do something.

www.conchcreative.com

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,480
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.