Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
A
A first class air terminal on San Pedro is definitely not for the benefit of the "locals". Neither are the cobblestone streets. When only "locals" lived on SP the streets were soft powdery white sand. There was no need for paved streets. Or even shoes. Oh, there was no traffic either.

Developmental "needs" are imported "needs."

Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites
Caye Caulker, Belize
www.auxilloubeachsuites.com
S
S
If the San Pedranos didn't want tourist income they could have stayed "as was"...with little or no income, no future for the kids, living in thatch, no medical facilities...wonderful.

Way to go Jesse. Change can be hard, especially as we have the faded romantic view of what SP used to be. However...the wonderful life we have now compared to 1990 is hard to believe! I sure wouldn't want it as it was.

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman. - Maryon Pearson

A
A
So you think the quality of life in SP is better now than it was twenty years ago? Define "better"?

Streets clogged with traffic, buildings lining the seashore blocking the natural flow of the breeze, rising crime and an overly populated small town is considered "better"?

I think you need to google the term "cultural arrogance". More money flowing is not the same as "better".

Cheers,
Wendy

Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites
Caye Caulker, Belize
www.auxilloubeachsuites.com
E
E
I love ya Wendy !

S
S
I liked San Pedro 20 years ago..thats why I moved here. But I felt sad for the kids with no education and no future here...and people with no future of a better life.
Sure wonderful that you are saving Caye Caulker in its virgin state,.

B
B
Hey Bill
Remember when they dumped a plane in the 5 a side area.
It was around Easter time if I remember right.
Everyone walked away from that.
T-boning a 2 story concrete building will be a different story.

S
S
That accident was back when the runway was where the taxi strip is now...no room for error. Now the whole strip has been moved way south and the old strip is used as a taxiway to the new runway...remember?

E
E
Jesse is correct, the old runway was 2400ft, the new one is 3000ft plus 500ft of over run plus 1000ft of taxi way.That puts the school yard 2100ft, farther from the threshold.Any down town airport is a problem, London city, Houston Hobby, all of them, but one must balance safety with convenience. I personally preferred the hot dog stand tropic terminal. I used to just show up, didn't even need to check in, they new my name and put me on the flight.Paradise lost? losing?Progress?Entropy?

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I never saw that, Jesse. Where was the northern end, and was the alignment the same? Are there any maps of those days?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.