Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
S
The northern end was right at the fence across from what is now Tropic Cargo. There was a slight realignment moving the southern end of the new strip more westward to avoid existing buildings.

C
C
Hard to believe that people would object/criticize a transportation company for providing a safe, comfortable terminal for it's passengers, which by the way Wendy, 75+% of the travelers are Belizeans.

The old rwy was 2100 ft long x 20' wide, measurement started from the edge of the former Maya Airways bldg (which is now the Tropic Cargo bldg), ended just past were Bowen's hangers are now.

S
S
Made for some exciting times! You say 20' wide but it was breaking up and someplaces was 18'- 19' wide...and when you went off the edge ...that was exciting!

Hubby has a question that makes some sense---if Tropic's building a big new terminal-will Maya be following suit? Will Tropic be raising prices to pay for the new terminal?

"Sometimes I go this way, sometimes I go that way-but it's always MY way!" LOL! "Cheshire" in CA
B
B
They already have raised their rates to adjust for the dramatic increase in the cost of fuel, but they will be competitive irresepective of how much they spend on the new terminal. At the end of the day, traveling folks look for the most cost effective fare with out regard to the condition of the terminal. Point in fact....Maya has a very nice terminal at Municipal. Do I fly Maya because of the nicer terminal? No....it is all about the service and I like Tropic. At the end of the day, they both do a superb job under somewhat difficult condtions.

Last edited by beachbumin; 07/05/08 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling of course
Think about who started bringing in SUV's, pickup trucks, Delivery trucks and automobiles! It wasn't the tourists nor was it the gringo retirees. The sand streets were turned into oil soaked dirt beyond repair by grading. As much as I dislike these vehicles on this island I have to understand the ego's that drive these purchases. Belizean's are no different than any other people when it comes to wanting to keep up with the Jones's. They watch TV and go to Belize City and see shiny new cars complete with air conditioning. They have made a lot of money selling beach front to developers or running a gift shop, etc.
With the expense and frustration of maintaining a golf cart a motor vehicle looks pretty nice --- any way for a while.

EVERYONE has complained about the traffic jams in front of Tropic Air. The new terminal was needed in order to open up the street and reroute traffic. Do you really think they should build a palapa? I imagine they will move their offices and cargo all into one building.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
You imagine wrongly!

I
I
We have to realize that San Pedro is growing more everyday.We are no longer the quaint little fishing village we were twenty years ago.And as expected with all this growth changes come.Some are really good, like all the employment generated by tourism, some not so good such as the higher crime rate, bad streets.But pointing fingers and and playing the blaming game as to who started bringing trucks to the island is not gonna solve anything.But as with everything in life it cant all be perfect.The new terminal will help with the traffic problem, not just the people living here, but everyone.Will the island loose some of it's charm??? perhaps,but we have to come to think that the tourists visit our island for the hospitality, our beaches, not the infrastructure,My grandparents used to live in a thatch house, and used to cook using a fire hearth, not so today but they are still the same.San Pedro is developing, but we are still la Isla Bonita

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Interesting that since the ground-breaking work has started, and a tall pile driver is in place, there have been lots of takeoffs from south to north, right over the site. Yet we've had no wind that could have prompted that. Is this just to show that they can?!

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Belizean's are no different than any other people when it comes to wanting to keep up with the Jones's

Hey, I'm one of the Jones' and I haven't noticed anyone trying to keep up with me! Not that it would be difficult.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 114 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.