Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
elbert #438009 05/15/12 10:58 AM
Will check with the Mayor and SPBA today to be sure whatever is done is cool with the powers that be.
The fence-notice was made to keep folks from ending up in a dead-end. The recently-formerly used "connection" (courtesy of heavy equipment from GBE) comprises pretty much all of lot #2 at Spanish Reef - way-way back from the beach.
Anybody proceeding on down the "old" track ends up having to turn around etc --- it was fully intended to help people find their way.

elbert #438010 05/15/12 11:34 AM
Actually I have more than one expert legal opinion that all concur with what I have said.

elbert #438011 05/15/12 11:49 AM
It would be nice to know the new administrations opinion about driving on the beach when road access is given. And what is allowed to deny vehicles access to drive on the beach.

I wish people would understand driving on the beach harms it, long term. It compacts the soil, effects the ability of the soil to absorb rainwater, thus creating beach erosion and soil that can not support any plant life. Nor turtle nests.

Having watched turtle nests for two years not hatch, due to traffic on the beach within the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve, I am distressed and sadden. This year the traffic has only increased, with ATV tours to Rocky Point, poachers driving up north on a Sunday to conch in the reserves shallow waters and the ruts on the beach that will interfere with the turtle nests. We personally can not wait to have a road in back and we know others will fight us to drive on the beach. Sad indeed.

These photos were taken in October 2011, luckily storm surge smoothed it out. But until the rains, the ruts now are about 6" deep.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
elbert #438013 05/15/12 12:19 PM
When using the term "public" one may wish to qualify it further ......

"Public Property" means property owned by the "public".

"Public Access" can mean private property over which the public has an easement to pass.

Whilst it may not seem a big different to some, it may also be at the root of some of our longer semantic debates.

In the old days the titles to big parcels went to the edge of the water. As properties were sub-divided, a beach reserve was platted in front of the smaller lots - 20 years ago it was a 35' beach reserve, not 66. Over time it changed to 66'.
In the case where this is imposed on the subdivision the 66' is marked on the maps.

The curious issues are - erosion and accretion. Shorelines change and taking a tape measure to a beach party may have unpredictable results.

elbert #438016 05/15/12 12:48 PM
Colleen, thanks for posting the pictures and the story - indeed many people don't realize how much of a negative impact driving on the beach in the turtle nesting areas have made. And yes erosion, noise pollution, disturbing peace etc. Sure it is nice to drive along the beach but is it really okay???

elbert #438021 05/15/12 01:55 PM
So? What is the answer then? I'm confused. May I walk on the beach in front of private property or not? Is that Private Property sign intended to deter foot traffic too, or only wheeled traffic?

Thanks in advance.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

elbert #438022 05/15/12 02:10 PM
This is a very informative thread but I'm still not clear. I certainly see the negative environmental impact of driving a vehicle on the beach. And I wouldnt want to trespass on someones private property, beach or pier. But what is the definitive answer to the question are people allowed to walk along this or any other section of the beach?
Also, IMHO, the road block and sign pictured are not exactly "friendly." If its a dead end/no outlet or impassible then something to that effect would be more informative. And if you have the right then a low pile of boulders would be way to keep carts off the beach.

elbert #438023 05/15/12 02:14 PM
I believe the whole point is to have a beautiful beach for everyone to walk on.

Motorized traffic, no. Bikes seem to be open for debate.

The bottom line is realize and respect that our privileged seaside location comes with responsibility and consequences. Try to leave as light a foot print as possible.

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
elbert #438025 05/15/12 02:19 PM
Yes you are allowed to walk along the beach and stop and admire the view and even walk along the docks etc. What you aren't expected to do is drive along the beaches or stop, set up a tent and picnic etc. The right to walk along the coast line is permitted throughout Belize and there are areas of common/public beaches where parks are located in which you are encouraged to hang out and picnic and play etc.

elbert #438026 05/15/12 03:27 PM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
More laws! ya just kinda make this up as you go along Amanda or is there some place we can see this written down?
I'm in Belize where there is no such thing as a private beach or private dock. You must be on Fantasy Island, with some apartheid group.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 161 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.