Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Originally Posted by Capt. Hollywood
Yes Jeff, I know, I coordinated the last effort to grade the road to Captain Morgans.
It will not be extrodinarily expensive if everyone pitches in.
Once it is well built it will take less $$ to maintain. No it won't get done overnight, but can be done in stages.

I have been patroling the road and most of it is passable except for a few low spots and a real bad patch around Portafinos.

You are correct, the road does not always follow the BEL ROW. BEL needs a road to maintain the lines so they are going to build it anyway.

Part of the existing road may cut through your private property, but the alternative is the reserve.. yes THE BEACH and we all know how everyone feels about that.

SO Hey here's an idea, how about we all work together with mutual respect and co-operation, and try and solve the problems instead of creating more.

Unfortunately, some people here have the last man in syndrome.

I'm here, I've got my property, now close the Island and no more development.
Unfortunately this does not work in the real world.

The designated "road" exists at least on paper most of the way up the island. Unfortunately for would-be neighborhood amateur road builders, some if it is in areas that are 2 feet under water. This is not something cheap or easy to deal with.

When we tired of carts on the Mata Grande beach many years ago we got together a few folks and cleared the designated road in a section of our neighborhood. Indeed many (if not most) of the neighbors refused to participate - saying "I'll never use it" (baloney). Fortunately for us the land where this road would run was solid and did not need true "construction". The folks who use it still patch it as best we can, and clean the trash along the roadside as well.

A trunk road location is mostly formatted. As best it can, BEL is following that public easement in the installation of their new lines. That does not mean BEL is going to build a road. They are not going to build a road.

GoB should be pressured to support this island with proper infrastructure. When we continue to do for the government what government should do for us we patently say - fine, keep my money and do nothing.
I'm not against patching and chopping a bit here and there to make daily life better - but the grading and all being done by neighborhoods is not sufficient to give us a reliable all-weather road. The road is a mass of puddles and ruts due to this last rain and we're just getting started with the rainy season. We need drainage and a proper road surface.

AND we need to assess the tangential impact of the road before it goes in! What about speeding, noise, trash along roadsides, increased crime? It's not a single-issue item. I'm all for a better road, in the right place - but not until and unless we can deal with the big picture that surrounds it. I'm tired of seeing projects just done (like the clock) and then trying to deal with the negative aftermath after the fact. If we have to live with a bad road until we can have a truly workable plan, then perhaps that inconvenience will motivate us as a community to make a comprehensive effort to do something lasting and positive. "Take a boat" is, and probably always will be a more pleasant and beautiful and much faster way to get to town - but it is not an affordable option for many of the workers in our area.

The "road" needs walking paths and bike paths - it needs trash pick-up and landscaping .......... all these things should be factored into the plan. If you want to see the results of not planning for these things, take a look at middle street in San Pedro - zero-lot-line to a narrow street clogged with people, cars, dogs and kids. Dangerous, noisy and no fun at all.

elbert #438635 05/23/12 08:05 AM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Diane, is the new blockade yours also? what was the point in taking one down and putting up another?
The other one was more colorful.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
"Unfortunately, some people here have the last man in syndrome.

I'm here, I've got my property, now close the Island and no more development.
Unfortunately this does not work in the real world."

Too bad it does not work that way on AC. I see nothing wrong with limiting developement based on the infrastucture available to handle it. There are enough people now paying taxes and generating revenue to provide the funds for adequate infrastucture. Lessoning the quality of life for those living on the island and not providing sufficient crime control, roads, traffic flow, water, electricity, sewage, garbage disposal, etc, etc, etc, for tourists visiting will have a very negative effect for the future. Any business or tourist destination that does not invest for its anticipated growth prior to that growth will suffer in the long run. The "short term greed" will fall short of the long term prosperity. frown

elbert #438642 05/23/12 08:35 AM
A
A
Elbert you have 2 boats. For years you commuted by boat then you bought a motorcycle. Now the road is important to you. When the road is bad use your boat as you have in the past. Stay off the beaches with a motorcycle. You have alternate travel options.

elbert #438644 05/23/12 08:50 AM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Its not gona happen, its one of those inevitable things your going to have to get used to. look at what a ridiculous mess you've made of your beach with all those silly barricades.
seriously it won't stop anyone. try bobbed wire or rolls of concertina.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #438645 05/23/12 08:58 AM
M
M
The heavy pressure has been placed on the "road" by the illegal allowing of vehicles on North Ambergris Caye. When the last town council opened the road to traffic it was an illegal move. Since then we have had rampant stealing all of which was and is facilitated by the illegal opening of this road. They have allowed heavy trucks which is also illegal. Development must be controlled so that it happens in a good way. Master Plan was ignored allowing too big resorts for a few while others have struggled trying to develop in an ecologically sensitive fashion. Premature opening by the town board of a non existent road was a big mistake. Beware any type of business that asks "how much can you pay?" Sounds like a bad start. I think the govt should take their responsibility. Look at the beautiful road they have now in Placencia, what happened to us? Piecemeal repairs other than by individual owners just makes the situation worse in my opinion and Ministry of Works should be in charge. They have lots of good engineering staff. Respect the law and keep the vehicles off North Ambergris until they can be handled in a proper way. If you want to open the road do it legally not just say ok everybody can now drive on it. Bad government and now the problem is much greater than when there was no vehicles allowed as per law.

I am starting a new thread for NAC registered property owners only. All others please debate it here.

elbert #438814 05/24/12 07:26 PM
Just build that road north and open up more land to buy and these deep pockets of mine will gladly take land off of your hands.

I have an insatiable hunger for more land !!!
S
S
OOOHHHH....how exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SP Daily #438817 05/24/12 07:30 PM
E
E
Go eat another pork chop, Jesse.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,478
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.