Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by JEL
I saw a couple workers one day kill a coral snake and a python 10 steps from my house. I think I still have the picture of them both.

Saw a 12ft snake (Black & Red) going across the GBE road the other day just before the bridge

you know the jingle, from the nose. Red to yellow, kill a fellow, red to black, venom lack.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
JEL What is the GBE? Where do you live?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
J
JEL Offline
J
GBE - Grand Belizean Estates

pythons are not on the island or in this part of the world. You probably saw a Boa and yes we got some biggins on the island, but a hazard to birds and rats, not poisonous.
The Black and Red is probably the Johnnie Walker :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
L
L
There are some mean snakes on the Caye but they all walk on two feet!

P
P
More Monty than Python. There is a much more common non poisonous similar looking snake to the coral snake - whose name escapes me. The order of the colour bandings are different, I think the poisonous one is in the same order as the lights on a traffic light and the non poisonous one isn't.

Originally Posted by Phil
More Monty than Python. There is a much more common non poisonous similar looking snake to the coral snake - whose name escapes me. The order of the colour bandings are different, I think the poisonous one is in the same order as the lights on a traffic light and the non poisonous one isn't.

see above

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
S
S
There are no documented dangerous poisonous snakes on the island. What we do have are stunningly beautiful snakes that you'll be lucky to see, photograph and observe.

I've heard of vine snakes being sighted but they are rear fanged and only mildly venomous. Even a Coral Snake is rear fanged with small teeth. It really has to get you between the thumb and forefinger for a good shot to deliver a fatal bite... I've never seen one on the island.

T
T
Phil you are thinking of a king snake. Red and Yellow kill a fellow Red and Black venom lack.

The famous Field Guide to Ambergris Caye by Richie Woods said there where no poisonous snakes on Ambergris Caye. That statement is like so many others, someone will find one somewhere and prove it's not 100% true but fear or concern about a poisonous snake on the island is unrealistic just the same. Ambergris Cayes snakes are a positive aspect and keep a balance we need. Snake Phobics incite killing snakes and cause damage to our environment.
http://books.google.com.bz/books/ab...ize.html?id=FVZqAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y http://books.google.com.bz/books/ab...ize.html?id=FVZqAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.