Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Marty #494142 08/01/14 05:11 PM
Just from the little improvement of gravel fill I've had an increase in drop-in business. It doubled! (from One to Two).
I'm all for the road being paved just skeptical about another politician promising improved infrastructure just before the election. Every election we get a flood of announcements about road, water, electric service, police protection and such.
The island is heavily populated with voters that are influenced by these little news items so they get results. I wonder what causes the memory loss when it's election time again and the same guys promise the same shit.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Marty #494143 08/01/14 05:28 PM
I question who the people behind this "improvement" really are? I don't think it is any of the what we

call 'locals." At least not the thousands of working class locals.

Just my not very humble opinion but the people pushing this NEW lifestyle are mostly gringo developers who have purchased tracts of land that they want to make 'high end' and cater to people who don't want to get hot or dirty riding in golf carts. I feel like we are the heathens they see as they motor by. I have to wonder what they think "of us poor white folks sitting outside watching the world go by."

The older resorts were built by having their supplies barged to them and brought their guests by boat. Guest who were not interested in going to town every day or night. Guests who came for the peace and quiet.

Yea - yea - yea - I know all the arguments for CHANGE. I just think it is important to understand the direction all this change is taking and ask ourselves if this is what we want. Of the course the real question is "who is we?"

So, like everyone else, I've had to hedge my bets and invest in raw land way further north.

Everyday there are two traffic officers on their shiny new motorbikes going north I guess to watch traffic in the construction zone. Anyone have any first hand observation of this? They very nicely wave to me everyday.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Marty #494144 08/01/14 06:45 PM
Some people seem to forget that the North of Ambergris Caye is part of Belize, not an exclusive domain of the expat. When "locals" cross the beach on bikes and motor cycles you complain, when the road is graded to make it easier for people to travel you complain. Well now the road is going to be paved, the first phase is 3 miles, the second phase is to take it to seven miles, then it will continue as funds are made available.
This improvement will open up the North for ALL, locals and tourists will be able to travel the North island all year round, without the pot holes and mud. Businesses will benefit and more people will be able to enjoy the North of our island.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Tracker #494145 08/01/14 06:56 PM
"Well now the road is going to be paved, the first phase is 3 miles, the second phase is to take it to seven miles, then it will continue as funds are made available"

Where are these "funds" coming from and how long will they continue to be injected into the project?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Loansum-Al K #494147 08/01/14 08:08 PM
J
J
Any idea on how long phases one and two will take to complete? Does this typically take years to do or is it something that can be finished in a matter of six months or so?

Marty #494149 08/01/14 08:26 PM
Frankly, I'm looking forward to not having to worry about double sports bra for the cart ride north. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Marty #494150 08/01/14 08:42 PM
S
S
Seashell........I'm with you!

Marty #494154 08/01/14 10:16 PM
G
G
Have the politicians discussed anything about the infrastructure of this area such as sewer, water lines, ditches for drainage or bury the hydro lines before any paving takes place? If not, then yes, this is just election talk. Don't hold your breath

Marty #494155 08/02/14 01:28 AM
T
T
Is the ambulance service up and running yet? The locals will continue to have to walk to town for their jobs, shopping, etc. I give it 3 months before someone is run down by a speeding taxi.

Marty #494156 08/02/14 04:49 AM
What form exactly is this paving supposed to be? Concrete? Graded rock & base? Just curious

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.