Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
Marty #494804 08/20/14 07:21 AM
S
S
I like the first picture where they're all looking and saying "holy sh*t did you see how fast that guy was going?"

Marty #494812 08/20/14 01:04 PM
I TOLD THE traffic patrol guys they can park in my driveway (hidden by trees) and time the speedsters. Where are the radar guns?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Marty #494818 08/20/14 01:53 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

First phase of northern Ambergris Caye road begins

Work on the first phase of the Ambergris Caye northern road has commenced, and is expected to be completed in three months. Construction started on Friday August 15th and in the first week, 600 feet of concrete material have been laid down by AM Construction, the subcontracting company that is executing the project. The entire project, aimed at improving the tourism fabric on the island, is estimated at $7 million. The first phase is being financed by the Government of Belize (GOB) at an estimated $3 million.

The total project includes the concreting of seven miles of road, a distance that extends from the Sir Barry Bowen Bridge to Blue Reef Resort. The project has been broken down in two phases, the first of which will see three miles of pavement from Belizean Shores Resort to the bridge, and costing $3 million. The second phase will consist of four miles of pavement running from Belizean Shores Resort to Blue Reef Resort, with an estimated cost of $4 million. The first phase of the project is being executed under the auspices of The San Pedro Town Council (SPTC). The SPTC had initially approached GOB for permission to secure a private loan, but instead, the government decided to fund the first phase of the project.

According to the Mayor of San Pedro Town Daniel Guerrero, the project is expected to boost tourism activities and improve the tourism fabric of the island, which is in line with the council's political mandate. It is also expected to increase real estate values. "This is a project that we promised, but more importantly, it is a project that is going to boost the economy on the island�it will be good for guests, for tourists and good for everyone; it is going to benefit everyone. We want to service the majority of our hotels and resorts. When we complete this seven miles project, we will have serviced over 98% of our hotels across the bridge�this will be a legacy for San Pedro Town. It will add something to the island because bicycles, golf carts and the motorcycles driving or riding up north will have to use the road. Residents will have no excuse to ride or drive on the beach front," said Guerrero. While monies for the first part of the project are coming from the GOB's coffers, Mayor Guerrero said that the SPTC is hoping that GOB will also undertake the second phase. If GOB cannot, the council will be looking at other options.

Pott indicated that the contract does not include placing shoulders along the sides of the road but rather the paving of three miles of road along with speed bumps near resorts. He did say that sand will be place on the shoulders of the road so that vehicles can be able to make it onto the concrete pavement. In regards to drainage and maintenance Pott added that, "we cannot avoid flooding on an island so when we have these conditions, the road will be under water�we foresee that maintenance will be done perhaps in 20 years from now because we are using 4000 psi (pounds per square inch) quality concrete. That is enough to put a [loaded] truck three days after the road is paved. The base has 3/8 size steel so the pavement is of good quality." Instead of slabs that are common within town, the road is being paved with concrete that will have three-inch deep cuts at various points on the pavement to prevent it from cracking.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Corona Steve #494827 08/21/14 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by Corona Steve

Yes, this is Corona Steve, who gave it's name, Corona Freeway.
progress is great, as long it keeps it's Charm of a laid back neiberhood, and Charm

Steve considering Elbert's reply about substances and the inevitability (however distant) of the project one might have thought one could have been a bit more imaginative. At least baptize it with a name more suited to the natal country...like Belikin Boulevard.

Marty #494840 08/21/14 06:44 AM
"bicycles, golf carts and the motorcycles driving or riding up north will have to use the road. Residents will have no excuse to ride or drive on the beach front" ....superb. I'm so happy this project is finally under way.

A few strategically placed speed bumps will keep the speedsters honest. Even with a concrete road 15mph is fast enough.

Marty #494841 08/21/14 06:54 AM
BEAR - Belikin is not natural nor is it native. Corona Freeway was a joke!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Chris #494842 08/21/14 06:57 AM
From what I have seen about speed bumps around town is they just speed faster between them. Speeding tickets and losing your license after repeat violations would have a more effective result.
What has happened with the radar gun traffic was using? You would think the resulting income from fines and the incentive not to speed would be worth the effort.

Marty #494846 08/21/14 07:55 AM
I saw them using the radar gun yesterday.

Marty #494853 08/21/14 12:39 PM
N
N
If the speeding gets bad I will have to get my box of tin tacks out!

In the meantime I am delighted work is underway!

Nick Barton #494856 08/21/14 02:22 PM
If speed bumps are placed just at resorts as they state, there is a disaster just waiting to happen and it's going to be a taxi that will be involved. They will be going at speeds that you have not seen them go before. All it will take is a bicycle, golf cart, or worst, a pedestrian to drive or walk out in front of a speeding taxi and it will be all over. If anyone thinks that the taxi cabs are going to adhere to a 15 MPH limit, they're in a fantasy land!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.