Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#50560 03/04/02 03:56 PM
P
P
If you're staying for ten days, see if your hotel has a laundry service. Our guests find that the less they pack, the better! Who wants to lug ten suitcases through the airport. Ouch...
Also, there are two or three laundry services in town so that's an option as well.
Have a wonderful time!
Stephanie Lehmkuhl
Manager
Tradewinds Paradise Villas

#50561 03/04/02 08:17 PM
this is funny, and VERY female: my first trip there was mostly jungle. we packed for that, and just swimsuits for san pedro. we end up befriending this great couple, and the girl was a knockout. she had all these cute little short rompers & low cut sundresses. in my khaki shorts & t-shirt (and no make up), i felt like a total frump at 30!! (next trip i packed little dress or two, just in case!)

#50562 03/04/02 10:08 PM
R
R
Wanda45 gets a Gold Star for asking the question about a dress code, sweetJane gets "A" in understanding "Marketing 101", and Chloe and LaurieMar get an "A's" for always giving the correct answer. Brandilee gets a "Gold Star" for caring about her personal appearance in the evenings, I hope her boy friend is worth her effort.

Now for my POV, on the beach, in beach bars, shorts and tank tops/t-tops are fine, as Debbie says, sarongs are great in afternoon beach, pool and bar hopping, but when I sit down to dinner I want my lady to be dressed as a lady, sundress, long or short, a light shoulder wrap if needed, this is good for beach restaurants or mountain lodges. I don't want to know what or if she has anything on under it, I want to be surprised when it hits the floor or sand later on in the evening.

There is one thing that I will say, I know you are on vacation, I know you are having a good time and want to be carefree, I won't take that away from you, but remember you are in someone elses country and someone elses hometown and think about how you would want them to dress and act if they were on vacation and having meals at your favorite restaurant in your hometown.

Rocio

#50563 03/04/02 10:38 PM
L
L
Laughing at Rocio! Thanks for the "A". I think it is nice to wear something that makes you feel good when out to dinner too. And, after dinner, who knows?

#50564 03/05/02 09:47 AM
B
B
jake5492 --- I liked your fellow travellers' idea and, believing you do whatever you can in this world to help out, I would like to do something similar when travelling to AC in April. This question for everyone on the board, though: I'm not a particularly pc person but I'm wondering how you give your clothing to the folks in AC without looking like a condescending rich gringo. I'm given to believing that San Pedranos are proud, happy people with a rich tradition and much pride in who they are and where they live. How do you do this without diminishing their sense of pride and self-worth? Under what circumstances do these opportunities present themselves? Is there a "clothing bank" or something similar?

Please don't misunderstand. I am NOT criticizing anyone for doing a nice thing. Quite the opposite. I'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing and trying to make certain that I don't unintentionally hurt the people who have been gracious enough to share their beautiful island home with me for ten days.

#50565 03/05/02 11:31 AM
J
J
there are plenty of opportunities to help out without offending.The people are VERY nice and appreciate our help.I'm not sure exactly how he gave his clothes but he also said he gives his hat away each trip too.He just walked up to a few people and said does anyone want a hat and all of them said yes.I'm sure an opportunity will present itself to you.people can feel what's in your heart and will know you are nice not condescending.You will come back a changed person..it's more than just a vacation

#50566 03/07/02 10:51 PM
Why take clothes with you? Honestly - take money and buy a few things your first day there, not your last. The last time I was there I did not take any tank tops and it was to hot for regular T's. I had to rush out and buy one. They also have lovely sundresses that you won't find back home. I'm a BIG woman and sometimes it's hard to find things that fit, but people are helpful. I've found the shops over by the airport have larger sizes than do the ones on Front Street.
I buy a wrap (sarong) everyplace I go. They make more usable souvenir clothing than do T's. I use them like shawls for evening wear here at home and get all kinds of compliments. Again - find yours early in your trip so you can enjoy it there.
Best tip for packing light: wash your lingerie when you shower and it dries overnight.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#50567 03/08/02 09:28 AM
B
B
Harriette: Thanks for the tip! I'm a big woman, too, and know what you mean about the fitting issue. Now I'll know where to look. Staying at Caribbean Villas which I understand isn't too far from the airstrip. Sounds like shopping will be right at my doorstep. 37 days and counting!

[This message has been edited by BankerWoman (edited 03-08-2002).]

#50568 03/08/02 10:13 AM
W
Wanda45 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Harriet, bless you. I was having nightmares about all the women on the island being like skinny models! I too will be shopping at the airport.

#50569 03/08/02 11:58 AM
Harriette, you sure got lucky. I agree that there are larger sizes in a couple of the shops over by the airport. However, despite that, at Christmas my friend and I, went shopping for her (larger sized) and we had one heck of a time. We finally found a little dress in a shop on frontstreet right near the square. There were some very nice things in there but most were too small or the cut was narrow even if they had the right size. We even went down to Boca del Rio where they had a few nice things too but again, not quite big enough.

I'm glad it's worked out for you, but me, I wouldn't chance it.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.