Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
KC Offline
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/ol-trampoline.html

Sorry, Cheri -- Trampoline was at the 2000 olympics. They don't televise every competition, especially if the U.S. doesn't have a participant.

Too bad they didn't have Alexandra competing! Which was really the whole point of this thread -- to congratulate a great athlete who has been honored by her sport.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Just wanted to let you "boarders" know I am going to be absent for a short while. I am having an "its that time of the month, full moon" dinner party that will keep me busy in the kitchen for a while. I am inviting all my friends. It will be a HUGH party. Two of us and a hugh amount of food. But, don't think that because Jim and Susan agreed with me on one point, that I am lulled into a false sense of security thinking that there is not alot of work left to be done. There are still the likes of ChrisW and Cheri lurking out there. Now, ChrisW showed that he has the intelegence. He just needs some enlightenment and direction. Cheri on the other hand, well, we will need to pray for Divine Intervetnion or wait for the science of brain transplantation to improve.

By, until later.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm with Jim and bywarren. incredible.

ABOUT

The Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG) was formed on 23 July 1881 when representatives of the gymnastics associations of Belgium, France and the Netherlands met in Liège. As a governing body it is held in high esteem by both its member federations and gymnastics clubs throughout five continents. In 1897, seventeen national associations joined together to form the basis of the European Gymnastics Federation. However, when the USA was admitted in 1921, the Committee changed its name to the Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique or FIG, as it is known today.

FIG comprises three Olympic disciplines: artistic, rhythmic and trampoline.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 08-22-2002).]

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
ByWarren,
Please give Alexandra our congrads!! I think it's great to hear the accomplishments of our "family" here on the board...
Hope to see you soon.
Vicki and Butch
Caribe Island Resort

Kayla---Welcome back!!!!! Hope (And I have no doubt) you had a wonderful trip.... Can't wait for your trip report....
Talk later...John

John
C
C
I'm not a REAL gymnast (I know a few). I've been a wannabe at times. Like many sports, gymnastics has changed with time. It is very different now than it was say 20 years ago.
I found an interesting paragraph on the web:

Trampoline and Tumbling History
Trampoline and tumbling can be traced to archaeological drawings in ancient China, Egypt and Persia. Over the years, a number of methods have been devised to allow man to gain time in the air and perform a variety of skills. The trampoline is one of these methods. Trampoline was not actually a competitive event until after its invention by an American, George Nissen, as a portable unit in 1936. From 1947 through 1964, trampolining was included as an event in gymnastics competitions by both the AAU and NCAA.

Gymnastics is very political (like most sports). The trampoline is not part of the popular gymnastics competition now, but it use to be. Maybe it just wasn't as popular as the other 4 events, but it seems like the gymnasts of that time could compete on any apparatus.

Don't take it too personal, we just want to make sure Alexandra gets her credit (even though I don't even know her).

Nate

This is getting out of hand. What Marty posted as simply information on Alexandra Nicholson's induction into the USA Gymnastic Hall of fame has been turned, by Cheri, into a debate on whether the trampoline even exists.

Out of respect for the USA Gymnastic Hall of Fame, can you believe they are so ignorant as to call it "Gymnasitic" Hall of Fame, I would suggest we leave this thread to what it was intended, and start a new one on whether Cheri is actually brain dead or if she is capable of understanding what many of us are trying to tell her. REALLY!

I am busy in the kitchen, so I will leave it to someone else to figure out the new thread.

Cheri, as far as October goes, I will be there and would enjoy getting together with you for an intellectual conversation, I am assuming that is what you have in mind. Strike that. I use the word "mind" in the figurative sense. Maybe you would feel more comfortable talking with Piasano.

At any rate, I am still busy in the kitchen getting ready for my friends tomorrow. Strike that, Friend. He is only my friend because I think he comes from the same gene pool as Cheri. That's it, Cheri, were you conceived in Arkansas? I guess we can have a friendly conversation, if not an intellectual one. Looking forward to October!

by, until you wise up.

T
T
In the ealy 1800's the trampoline was not the same design as today, in fact, the trampoline was used as a surveillance mechanism. It was employed by using strong young men and an 'athletic' girl. The young men would hold onto a round piece of buffalo hide and toss the young athletic girl into the air near the wall of a city and she would relay the message back to a scribe who was standing nearby. The girl not only had to be physically able to make many jumps in a row, but had to be keen on interpreting the goings on inside the city walls, thus, she had to be intelligent.

Then, many years later, came the idea that would revolutionize the gymnasics world only to be demoted. The idea being that because it had once been used to snoop on people it should not be a recognized sport.

Toad Rocks! Personally I like girls in bikinis jumping on trampolines aka "The Man Show"

Being inducted to any hall of fame is pretty damn cool for whatever reason. Go Alexandra!!!

LOL
I'm still trying to figure out what a "HUGH party" is....and what a "HUGH amount of food" is...

Define HUGH....bywarren LOL [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 114 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.