Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#64190 03/11/03 12:58 AM
Don't thank me yet Marie. I'm not quite done with you. wink

OK, if you can easily equalize on the plane, then it seems apparent that you don't have any sinus restrictions and/or small eustachean tubes. Therefore, we need to work on your technique when diving.

Now then. I want you to equalize, right now, sitting in your chair. Just like you would on the plane. Move your bottom jaw forward just a bit and/or swallow? Feel the slight pop like you get on the plane? So now you know what you should be doing a time or 3 before you get into the water.

Myself, I start equalizing on shore. I do a couple of those and then again on the boat just before descent. Then while still at the surface but in the water, I do a valsalva. (pinch nose gently, gently puff into ears) I've found frequent little puffs work ever so much better than a few big honks. You must equalize early and often. By early, I mean you must equalize before you feel any pressure and most certainly, before you feel any pain. By often, I mean after every inhale.

If you are still feeling fullness in your ears after diving, it would be my guess that you are equalizing too aggressively. I suspect that you've been having trouble for so long now that you've managed to psych yourself out on this issue.

There is nothing wrong with descending slowly, as long as you are equalizing early and often. Going back up when you've gone too far is a good plan for your ears, that's true. However, going up and down like that will surely screw them up. And I don't mean to say don't go back up, you must if you are having problems. You just need to find a way to get past going up and down like that. Remember what it was like in the pool? And when you do your pool refreshers before going back out on another dive trip? Those few feet can really screw me up with the going up and down.

So, you need to find a way to get equalized BEFORE you descend to a point that requires you to ascend to equalize.

OK, so moving right along. Now you are equalizing softly, gently on shore, on the boat and at the surface immediately before descent. Next, you've begun your descent and so have exhaled all of your air. You've dropped a foot or two. Equalize gently anyway, you'll still have enough air left to give a little puff, even so. Now you will inhale just a little bit (because you don't want to fill your lungs so much that you ascend a bit when you are still trying to get down a few feet), that quick little inhale is enough to equalize again as you exhale. Inhale, equalize as you exhale, inhale, equalize as you exhale, continue until you are at depth and have met up with the group. Hold your depth. How are your ears? Looking good. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#64191 03/11/03 08:09 AM
M
M
Thanks Seashell. Your advice sounds logical. I printed it off, and will tuck it in my dive bag for reference the next trip. I think you are on the mark re the big "honks". I do try to do it frequently and hard, and never thought to start on shore. Trust me, I will next time. I really appreciate the time you took to write all that. And, I'm sure it will help lots of other readers. It has been something I've just learned to live with, but those 5 or so wonderful, pain free descents make me want lots more!!! Thank you very much.

#64192 03/11/03 08:42 AM
Good luck with it and remember "early and often".

#64193 03/14/03 08:57 AM
OP Offline
Thanks all for your input. It was nice to look at the locations on the dive map here. Never saw a site with so many great maps. Axeman, I did enjoy your trip report, you got to enjoy some fantastic diving! Ok, where is the Amigos Wreck? SS, you always have helpful info for all. I had a dive buddy who for years just could not get it through his head to start equalizing at the surface. He always waited until his head was under - and suffered because of it. May we all enjoy great diving, and calm water (maybe not possible for me diving in March, but I can wish!) smile

#64194 03/17/03 01:25 AM
Have to agree with most of the dive sites posted already. My personal favorite was Half Moon Caye Wall and Aquarium is great also. Closer to AC we dove Tackle Box Canyons which was fun too.

Since the "carnival winds" kept the surf up outside the reef, my friends and I opted to do an overnight dive trip. That way we only had to make the trip out to the atolls once but got in 5 tanks and some snorkling. We went with Coral Beach Dive Shop which is on the pier next to Shark Bar. The 50 ft boat we went out on has bunk beds and was a very cool experience. The boat Offshore Express II is actually the boat used in the filming of Cocoon.

We dove 3 tanks the first day at Turneffe, Long Caye, and Half Moon Caye. Stayed overnight moored up at Half Moon Caye which was like a private tropical paradise. The next morning we headed to Blue Hole and had already surfaced by the time the first boat from AC (Amigos Del Mar)had arrived. We headed for Turneffe for our last dive and then back to AC.

The crew was a family operation. Alan Forman is a PADI Platinum Dive Instructor and has personally trained his dive masters. His son Clive captains the boat and is a dive master. Drury, another son, catchs fish along the way and assists as a crew member. Norma & Dalcia are two daughters that manage all of the cooking and bedding and all of the guests on the boat comfortable. Another crew member is Rocky, not a family member, but an excellent snorkle guide and tour guide on Half Moon Caye.

The trip cost us $250 US for the dives, all meals, and accommodations. We left Tuesday at about 0630 and were back well rested with a siesta on the return trip by 1630 on Wednesday. The food served was plentiful and excellent.

Here is a website that goes into a little detail on the trip.

http://www.coralbeachhotel.com/

Alan doesn't own the hotel anymore, but does have the dive shop going. I highly recommend this dive shop for local diving as well. Alan Jr., the grandson, who runs one of their other boats Offshore Princess is an excellent dive master for local checkout dives.

We also did an all day survival picnic with Coral Beach Dive Shop. We snorkeled near Basil Jones, had a beach picnic cookout with fresh fish & all the fixings, and another snorkle stop at Mexico Rocks. On the way back we stopped at Mata Chica (site of Temptation Island filming) and at the Palapa Bar for a drink prior to returning. Lots of fun. They will customize this for whatever your group likes to do. Can't say enough good things about this little dive operation. They treat you like family.

#64195 03/17/03 04:04 AM
I think I forgot to mention Pillar Corals. I really like that spot too.

#64196 03/17/03 08:09 AM
OP Offline
Hey Jude, sounds like you had a great time, and enjoyed excellent diving. I will file the overnight dive trip away for future consideration. I only have 1 week, which already is full. I wish I would have planned for at least 10 days or 2 wks. Next time! smile

#64197 03/17/03 09:33 AM
I was told by some of the people that went to the Blue Hole that the water was alot calmer when they were out there versus just right onthe other side of the reef. Is that the case?

Brenda
#64198 03/17/03 04:29 PM
The trip to the Blue Hole from Ambergris has two open water crossings. You start inside the reef on the way to Caye Caulker and then have to angle out over open water until reaching the Atolls, near Turneffe. Then there is another shorter open water crossing until you near the Blue Hole. The open water crossings can be rough. Perhaps this is what your friend was talking about?

#64199 03/18/03 12:20 AM
Scubabuddy & dldoberman,
All of the dives we did at the outer islands were in calm waters. The reef conditions there are not like AC and do not affect the good dive sites such as Half Moon Caye, Aquarium, Blue hole, & Turneffe sites.

We elected to go to these other sites doing a one night overnight so that we only had to make the trip out and back once. It is a great option when the reef conditions for diving around Ambergris Caye are too rough. I think it is more economical to do the overnight option as well since every time the dive boats go back and forth daily, it costs fuel. It might not be for everyone, but it is not a cattle car approach to diving where you are on a strict schedule. We had max bottom time and had wonderful snacks & meals waiting for us on our uptime between tanks as we moved to another site. Very relaxing actually and the slow motoring around the Cayes allowed us to take in all the beauty and uniqueness of these other Cayes & Atolls.

--Hey Jude

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.