Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#97609 02/16/05 07:24 AM
The good, bad and ugly of travel is part of life's many learning experiences. Personally, my expectations were met on all levels at Aqua Marina Suites when I visited AC during 4/2003. The property management must have changed since then.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
#97610 02/16/05 08:33 AM
Joe, apparently this is the alert. I have always maintained that the quality of the competition has improved AC. Bad restaurants don't survive long because of the competition. I would imagine if a lodging establishment disappoints too many people, it will have to change or fall by the wayside. Dog is also correct, not every place will meet up with your expectations. The experienced traveler has to learn to roll with the punches, but mis-representing a facility, or shoddy treatment has no excuse. The customer is not always right, but they are always the customer. If the management becomes aware that they are under scrutiny, they may get a clue that something is wrong. Just my opinion of course, no second chance to make a first impression.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#97611 02/16/05 09:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Yes, some of us know the good, bad and ugly details of hotels, restaurants, dive shops, etc etc. I know because it's my BUSINESS to know, just as it is with several other "boarders". I have actually stayed at one property that gets a lot of press on this board, and I would NEVER stay there again. There are restaurants that get great press that I won't step into.
Sometimes you (the questioneer) take advice from someone who has never been to these establishments, or was there 10 years ago. I have seen questions on this board that are easy, and I have seen wrong answers, but (as an advertiser on this site), I can't overstep my boundaries and "advertise", or I'm not supposed to do that. If you look at my comments, I do "endorse" certain restaurants, but rarely my own.
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience in San Pedro. I do hope you will come back, but please don't expect what you would find other places in the Caribbean. Hopefully, San Pedro will never be like those places. And keep in mind that sometimes things happen, and you might not get a specific room, or you might have to move. None of the properties here are 700 room Hiltons with lots of empty rooms.
Seriously, if you really want to know the truth about something, look at previous trip reports, then ask someone who knows.... (for example: Barb's Belize, Magnum, Chamber of Commerce, residents, etc). If these people give you the wrong info, then tell the board.

#97612 02/16/05 10:15 AM
Hey Diver Dan

Look at it this way - you stayed in the "Dead Centre of Town." ha ha

The building you stayed in is in the vicinity of an infamous place from many years ago.... the Graveyard Hilton.

There used to be quite a wild bar there at one time too - was it Santino's?? All I remember is lots of table top dancing!!!

So sorry your accommodations didn't work out as well as you plannned.

Next time - BANANA BEACH RESORT

#97613 02/16/05 10:38 AM
Kind of funny, isn't it? A lot of people seem to believe anything they read here...not to belittle what appears to have been a lousy experience with a particular hotel. And, of course, we all appreciate hearing about it. I'd wager those two posts just cost AMS an appreciable amount of business.

Just keep in mind that much of the input here is from people with very limited experience(s)--only staying at one resort, eating at a select group of restaurants, using a single tour operator, fishing with one guide, etc. You really need to keep an open and, at times, critical outlook. The fact is, there are many great places to stay, a multitude of fine food establishments and many very experienced tour operators, dive shops and fishing guides.

One experience does not a reputation make or ruin--not that I have any intention of staying at AMS.

Use your own mind or risk assimilation. wink

* I Go Pogo *
#97614 02/16/05 10:51 AM
capt jeff stayed there up to 6 months ago they,had a nice clean place I got deal in the main hotel as the place next store was not finished yet .I always had a suite on the right side not near the graveyard. and never used the restaurant.as no no was every there . and stained glass pub was next door and had great food ..the staff was different each month nobody stayed?? they all quit as they did not like the owner . the owner is the same owner of aqua divers .and he brings in large dive groups and sends them to his hotel. can not understand shoddy treament,as bad service is not the norm in sanpedro.... the people here all go out of there way to be nice.

Living The Dream Every Day!
#97615 02/16/05 11:16 AM
Catatonic Motivator brought up an interesting phenomenon. Have you ever wondered why so many boarders, regardless of their experience as travelers, are fiercely loyal to a given resort, or set of restaurants? And why they go back again and again? It's because they get what they want or expect, or even more. It's because their vacation experience was enhanced by the businesses they patronized. That is good business. And have you wondered why so many places are hyped by so many people? Simply because there are a lot of quality places that do believe in serving the public and trying to making a profit.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#97616 02/16/05 11:27 AM
D
OP Offline
D
By the way Capt. Jeff, at your urging we DID do a full day fishing trip with Capt. Bicho & his son
Bicho Jr. We were treated like royalty. The fishing was great (all four of us caught fish)and the lunch at Lion's Club park was Lobster (which Bicho Jr. caught) and some of our catch of Trigger fish and Yellow tail, and they cooked it PERFECTLY. A VERY GRAND day on the water. Thanks again Capt. Jeff for the heads up about Bicho. I would recomment him to ANYONE!

#97617 02/16/05 11:38 AM
diver dan another fan . sounds super ..will share that when I see capt bicho and his son jr.. it is nice testiomials like this , that makes me so happy .I go out of my way to reccomend him as he works so hard to give people a wonderful day out on the water...he helps people live the dream ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
#97618 02/16/05 12:15 PM
We went out with Bicho and Jr. last week and had a blast again. My brother-in-law was under the weather, so it was just my wife and me. Bicho and Jr. had a great laugh at my expense as she caught the first 2 barracudas, but then she let me catch a few before the lobster feast. I've got pics to post and will have them up in the next day or so.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 111 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.