I agree with you, sweetjane. I see it only here in the US as well. I have never experienced a fear in other countries, and we do travel extensively. On occasion, we have felt a little intimidated, but never afraid.
I also stayed home with my kids, as long as I could, and then took a job that allowed me to be home when they were home. I understand that today, it's almost impossible for a lot of people to do that, and it's easier to have the schools take care of the difficult stuff.
I respect your wish to not have your childred subjected to prayer, I don't think religion should be pushed down anyones throat if it isn't welcomed. I hope in return that you respect my wish to allow my kids to pray, and if your kids don't want to hear it, then don't listen. I don't have anything but respect for your religion, even thought I don't necessarily agree with your beliefs. Who is to say which one is right? I believe as I do, and give anyone else the same right, without question. But, when things go wrong, we are always looking to blame someone else. We need to look at ourselves and how we fit in to the puzzle. If we want to feel safe, we may just have to give a little. It isn't always about us as an individual. Sometimes, we might just have to give as a cohesive group, to make sure we, as individuals are protected.
Not a lecture, but something to think about. How wonderful it would be if we never had to be afraid, or concerned for our kids, but I'm afraid those days are over. I so wish it was different.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'