Otter, I don't necessarily disagree with you on this one. I think inmates should work, and chain gangs if run properly is one form of work. "Sherrif Joe" certainly didn't invent the concept, nor is he the first to bring it back into practice, there are jurisdictions all over this country who utilize chain gangs. I also agree that custody time shouldn't be a vacation stay financed by taxpayers - not because I think incarceration is at all effective in terms of reducing crime, it is not - but because I don't think crime should be rewarded by luxuries that many hardworking law abiding people can't afford. That said, I do think people should be treated with dignity and in a humane manner - even those who are locked up.
Azbob, I think we are both correct in different ways regarding the makeup of a county jail population. Any inmate in custody in a county jail post-sentencing is doing time for a misdemeanor - a low level crime. All sentences for felony convictions must be served in a prison. So, the vast majority of those who spend time in jail custody are going through the court process. When that process is concluded (or before conclusion if bail is posted) these persons are released or sent to prison. So you are correct that while at any one time there might be more misdemeanants in custody than pre-sentenced inmates, I am correct in terms of sheer numbers, the vast majority of those who spend time in county jails are persons awaiting a finding of guilt or innocence.
Regarding Mr. Arpico, even he is innocent until proven guilty. However, my statements don't come from my legal opinion, those result from the opinions of the judges and juries who have heard the suits where he stood accused - and they found him guilty - in court - numerous times. Should you need the case citations I can provide them for you. Because he was acting under "color of law" when he committed these acts, most are civil settlements which are paid for out of tax dollars or insurance proceeds. As for Club Fed - give it time, he is currently under federal investigation in a number of matters.
You might think re-election makes it appear that a lot of people in Maricopa County that think his actions are "right" but my guess is the electorate in Arizona are simply as un- or ill-informed as those in the rest of the country. They are uninformed about the actual amount of money he has cost his county, and wrongly believe his tactics are effective when all indications demonstrate they are not. However, even assuming you are correct and the residents of Maricopa County are well-informed and fine with all of his conduct - that is still an insufficient basis for approval. If all it took to make an action just was to have the majority of people in favor or it, we'd still have segregation and women wouldn't be able to vote.
If this is the "drive by media" story and there is another side, I would be interested in hearing it. To date all that I find that can be documented and proven is the tremendous cost he has inflicted on the citizens of his county and the toll he has taken on human life.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?