Well I can live with under $50 a month! Someone I know on C.C. got a bill for $200 and they don't use air conditioning so I was a bit put off by that. It costs an average of $50 a month in Canada on average for lights and fridge and stove, and sometimes fans, for a small two bedroom so it must be close to the same rate. This does not include heat for which we use propane.

I've seen a few forums on the internet of those exploring solar and wind power and some are doing it.

I can't imagine why more places I've stayed in on C.C. didn't put bars on their windows so guests could keep windows open with fans. They advised us to keep the windows locked up at night when sleeping for security. So I've been forced to use air conditioning when it was cool enough to use a fan, if anything at all, so it gave me the impression electricity was cheap. And I don't like air conditioning! Then my friend got this huge $200 bill. They have a small cafe but no air conditioning. So I was confused.

If anyone else can share their monthly energy costs and also alternative ideas, that would be grand.