jenniee, if you don't feel comfortable about your claustrophobia, then don't let anybody pressure you into diving. But may I suggest you at least go to the BEST dive instructor you can find in your area and discuss with him/her your concerns and phobias. Then I would suggest to him/her you MAY be willing to try a scuba 'experience' one on one. You can then first try to put your face in the water (like snorkeling) but with a regulator, you will notice very dry air and very easy breathing, then try to relax and float as if you are snorkeling, keep doing that until you are comfortable with the strange noise you are hearing (your breathing and regulator), keep doing that for awhile, if you feel comfortable enough head down a few feet in the sitting position and just breath and look around, but remember one thing at this point, 'don't bite the mouth piece in two', just remember nothing to worry about but trying to get over your fears of the unknown. If that felt somewhat comfortable I would do it again in a few days or a week. And if the day comes you decide to go for your dive certification classes, I would do them without your spouse to be. You will be much less pressured to do as he says rather that listening to your instructor and will learn much and also be much more confident. Two years ago I sent our 12 yr old daughter to get her dive certification at the local shop, and only stopped in once to see what was going on (6 wks, 3hrs a nt. 2x wk course) I done that because I wanted her to know her stuff and did not want her to 'depend' on me or anybody else for the basic stuff. Most of all don't get pressured into the sport, But I will say it is a blast. Check out this site, you will not see any of this at the surface. http://community.webshots.com/user/idaho_diver