Manuel Heredia Junior Supports Decriminalization of Marijuana "for the Little Man"

Minister Heredia says that the trafficking and sale of drugs are at the heart of criminal activities on the island, but are there contradictory rules in place? At last Friday's House Meeting, the government tabled a bill to amend the Misuse of Drugs Act that decriminalizes possession of up to ten grams of marijuana. But the bill does not address the suppliers of the drug or even cultivation, which still remains illegal on the books. Here's how Heredia Junior responded to the proposed law.

Manuel Heredia Jr., Minister of Tourism

"This had been in the pipeline for many years, looking and in consultation. I think you heard Doug Singh yesterday when he was Minister of Police having consultations with different organizations and N.G.O.s and the churches and whatnot. And we believe that there are many of these cases that you will find people that do it not really for a habit, but because they want to concentrate probably better. Or sometimes they say because of sickness or so. But I believe that as they mention, alcohol is something that does a lot of damage�why should we be tackling the little man over there doing and not really the bigger man, the bigger persons that are really doing the bigger harm."

Reporter

"So sir, for the record, do you support this move by your administration to decriminalize that ten grams of marijuana?"

Manuel Heredia Jr.

"Yes, I definitely. If I am not mistaken it was a unanimous decision that was taken by cabinet."

Channel 5