Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#101347 04/23/05 03:59 PM
I've flown US Air for years and in spite of their financial problems they are great. If you ever have a layover in Charlotte speak with a few of their employees, they for the most part are happy with the company. The worst airline I have ever been on was Delta,(Don't Even Leave The Airport). Twice I've seen their flight attendants scream at a passenger and once they had the guy next to me arrested for complaining. The captain threatened all the people sitting near the guy who agreed with him. Nasty folks!!!

#101348 04/23/05 06:10 PM
H
H
we flew us air last feb and march and couldn't have had a better experiance...have had lousy trips on other airlines. hope they pull through the bad times. the stewards, airport personel and captains all were great, kind of like the old days when i was a little girl flyin on the "yellow bird".

#101349 04/24/05 07:31 AM
Why would someone pay attention to someone painting a rosy picture of a third world country with internal politcal problem, riots in its largest city, and Airline cancellations?

Maybe because as a tourist, I'm concerned with enjoying myself and relaxing on vacation and not living dangerously just to support some ex-pats business.

#101350 04/24/05 08:04 AM
Obtuse angler - you will bvelieve what you want to believe and let me assure you that I do not,as people on this board will testify, give a damn about your business.
My advice to you is go somewhere else -Disneyland could be considered as a nice example.

#101351 04/24/05 08:35 AM
Come on Peter, don;t sugar coat it, say whats really on your mind!! laugh

Reality..What a concept!
#101352 04/24/05 08:39 AM
Petey uno,

I don't give a damn about your business either. I can think of a place you can go but it might be a little hotter than you like.

#101353 04/24/05 08:01 PM
This is from the US state department, updated 3/4/05 (4/3/05 if you are from Europe)

CRIME: The incidence of crime, including violent crimes such as armed robbery, shootings, stabbings, murder, and rape, is on the rise. The Embassy has noted an increase in recent years in reports of crimes against tourists at resorts and on the roadways and rivers. The incidence of crimes such as theft, burglary, purse snatching and pick-pocketing rises around the winter holidays and spring break. Several victims who resisted when confronted by criminals have received serious personal injuries, including gunshot wounds. Although the majority of reported incidents are in Belize City, crime occurs in all districts including tourist spots such as San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and Placencia.

Sexual harassment and/or assault of females traveling alone or in small groups can be a problem. Although violent sexual assault is not common, it does occur. Several American travelers have been the victims of sexual assaults in recent years. At least one of these rapes occurred after the victim accepted a lift from an acquaintance, while another occurred during an armed robbery at an isolated resort.

To minimize the risk of being targeted, visitors should travel in groups, stay off the streets after dark, in urban and rural areas, and avoid wearing jewelry, or carrying valuable or expensive items. As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

Armed robberies of American tourist groups have been reported near the western border with Guatemala in the past few years, several of which escalated to sexual assault. In the past, criminals have targeted popular Mayan archeological sites in that region. Visitors should travel in groups and should stick to the main plazas and tourist sites. Although there are armed guards posted at some of the archeological sites, armed criminals have been known to prey on persons walking from one site to another. Victims who resist when confronted by these armed assailants frequently suffer personal injury. The number of armed robberies on rivers in the western districts increased significantly in early 2005.

Travel on rural roads, especially at night, increases the risk of encountering criminal activities. Widespread narcotics and alien smuggling activities can make remote areas especially dangerous. Though there is no evidence that Americans in particular are targeted, criminals look for every opportunity to attack, so all travelers should be vigilant.

Rather than traveling alone, use a reputable tour organization. It is best to stay in groups, travel in a caravan consisting of two or more vehicles, and stay on the main roads. Ensure that someone not traveling with you is aware of your itinerary. Travelers should avoid budget hotels, which lack security guards and safes for guests, as guests in such hotels are more vulnerable to crime. Do not explore back roads or isolated paths near tourist sites. And remember always to pay close attention to your surroundings.

Americans visiting the Belize-Guatemala border area should consider carefully their security situation and should travel only during daylight hours. Vehicles should be in good operating condition, adequately fueled, and carry communications equipment. Persons traveling into Guatemala from Belize should check the Consular Information Sheet for Guatemala and the U.S. Embassy web site at http://usembassy.state.gov/guatemala for the latest information about crime and security in Guatemala.

A lack of resources and training impedes the ability of the police to investigate crimes effectively and to apprehend serious offenders. As a result, a number of crimes against Americans in Belize remain unresolved. Nonetheless, victims of crime should report immediately all incidents of assault, robbery, theft or other crimes to the police. Tourists may contact the Belizean tourist police unit as well as the main police office for assistance.

Drug use is common in some tourist areas. American citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. Penalties for possession of drugs or drug paraphernalia are generally more severe than in the U.S. Although not common, there is anecdotal evidence of the use of so-called date-rape drugs, such as Ruhypnol.

U.S. citizens may refer to the Department of State's pamphlet, A Safe Trip Abroad for ways to promote a trouble-free journey. The pamphlet is available by mail from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402, via the Internet at http://www.gpoaccess.gov, or via the Bureau of Consular Affairs home page at http://travel.state.gov.

#101354 04/24/05 08:02 PM
and this

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

The U.S. Embassy advises that U.S. citizens visiting Belize currently may face delays or difficulties in making international telephone calls, accessing the internet, or using ATMs to obtain currency. Because of recent industrial strikes and incidents of sabotage, the country's national telecommunications and electricity providers have not yet restored full services, and U.S. airlines have had to cancel or reschedule some flights to Belize.

Labor/management disputes in the national telecommunications sector have disrupted services and also have led to large demonstrations. There is no indication that U.S. citizens or interests have been specifically targeted. However, U.S. Embassy personnel have been advised to avoid large gatherings on the Princess Margaret Drive near the Belize Telecommunications headquarters on St. Thomas Street. On the night of April 20, a protest led to looting and vandalism in the Albert St. area of downtown Belize City. The Embassy has advised U.S. citizens to use alternate routes and take precautions such as securing vehicles while parked, filling vehicle gas tanks, and storing emergency water supplies in the event of a shut down of utilities.

Landline telephone services are currently available in most of the country. Access to cellular, long distance, or local Internet services, including some banking services and credit card services, has not yet been fully restored, and may be problematic. The U.S. Embassy in Belize is not able to confirm that telephone service is available in outlying areas. Major hotels are operating and accepting credit cards.

Americans living or traveling in Belize are encouraged to register with the U.S. Embassy through the State Department's travel registration website, HERE, and to obtain updated information on travel and security within Belize. Americans without Internet access may register directly with the U.S. Embassy. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy to contact them in case of emergency. The U.S. Embassy is located at the intersection of Gabourel Lane and Hutson Street in Belize City; telephone 011 (501) 227-7161/62/63, fax 011 (501) 223-5423. The Embassy is open from 8:00 a.m. To 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for the 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m. lunch hour, and U.S. and Belizean holidays.

U.S. citizens should also consult the Department of State's most recent Consular Information Sheet for Belize, and the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, which are located on the Department's Internet web site at HERE. Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

#101355 04/24/05 08:26 PM
Another unqualified moron is allowed to post

#101356 04/24/05 10:16 PM
B
B
Obtuse,
Just my opinion:::
The first state dept advisory that you posted has been around the circuit a long time with the seasonally added spring break caveat. Doesn't sound much different than that what you read regarding most Carribbean countries and the Riveira Maya. I can drive you through sections of Phoenix that will mimic what this advisory cautions of.
Your second state dept. advisory posted sounds like a typical CYA in case some ugly American starts screaming that they can't get in touch with their broker on their Nokia camera phone from the chicken drop.
I don't understand the expat references nor do I suspect any expat is going to tell us all to "come on down" as the village burns in the background so that we may enjoy a Belikin happy hour at their business.
It's not the states, it doesn't pretend to be, and I think thats what people describe as part of the magic.
If you are afraid or concerned you should probably fish closer to home to feel safer. (unless it's in Jersey)
jomo

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.