#101357 04/24/05 10:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Jomo - can we all come cast a line in AZ maybe snag a few "sand" perch

#101358 04/24/05 11:15 PM
Or Offline
Obtuseangler, if you have such a problem with "us" Belize that is why are you even posting here????????????? you can post your information and move on............ why the uglyness? "a third world country" it's a developing country if you don't mind..........and why say things like "support some ex-pats business." Do you even know how wonderful some of these people are?

#101359 04/24/05 11:19 PM
Belize, what a paradise, I miss Belize! I have less than a week until I am there, I don't know how to wait!!! I feel so much safer there than here where I live in the states.

#101360 04/25/05 07:06 AM
Well, guess what? I have a little different take on obtuseangler's position than Pedro. I think it fits in well with his name as he seems to be blunt, i.e. obtuse, and to the point. Also, most of what he posted is quoting the State Department and the other seems to me to be pretty much an accurate assessment of the current situation. Now to me, that is not all bad. When I first came to Belize they were no phones to not work and that was just fine with me. I met a number of people that came to Belize, back then British Honduras, partly because it lacked many of the things it now has and because it was an "adventure". Maybe because that was a long time ago and my memory has faded, but it seems to me that many of the people I met back then I related to more so than some that I meet now. I sometimes get the feeling that some of the people coming to Belize now are coming for different reasons than those earlier tourists. It seems that some come because they have this desire to visit a country that maybe there friends have not yet visited and they want to be able to say that they have been there. They come not because of what Belize really is and what it really has to offer, but more because they heard that slogan "where the hell is Belize". And in all fairness, I think that some in Belize are trying to portray Belize in a disingenuous way just to attract more tourists.
I know change is inevitable, but I still prefer Belize the way it was when I first came and I remain because it still has to me many of the attractions that first brought me here. Those attractions keep me here and allow me to ignore the changes I see happening that I do not agree with.
It is still and "adventure' to me. And if some tourists read about the State Department's comments or hear that they might not be able to make a phone call, and that makes them decide to visit Cancun or Jamaica or some other place than Belize, well that will just give me more of an opportunity to meet some of the types of tourists I met in earlier years.
And when I am back in the States and hear others talk of how safe they felt in their "compound" in Jamaica or how their bags were lost or their flights changed when they were traveling to other destinations than Belize, I will just smile and suggest that maybe that will not happen if they go on their next trip to a more well know destination where all of their friends have gone. smile

#101361 04/25/05 07:38 AM
smile

#101362 04/25/05 08:58 AM
I think somebody needs a hug, why the anger and ill feelings Obtuse. Maybe you should find a place you like and post nice things. If you think Belize is dangerous you must have never been to Miami. Read some embassy reports from other countries about our fair American cities. As is always the case, you should understand there are good and bad folks everywhere. Move on dude, your negativity is a drag.

#101363 04/25/05 09:03 AM
dittio to NyGal and bywarren

laugh

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
#101364 04/25/05 09:40 AM
The US government at work! I wonder how much we paid for someone to write such silliness. Oh wait it was probably a whole department of folks, none of whom have ever left D.C. They live with such a high crime rate, they probably thing it must be worse OUT THERE.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
#101365 04/25/05 09:45 AM
T
T
Anyone watch the segment about Anacostia on 60 minutes last night? No this isn't a third world country it is a suburb some three blocks from from the US nation's capital...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/21/60minutes/main690002.shtml

#101366 04/25/05 10:38 AM
M
M
ObtuseAngler,

Wow! Have I ever had a different experience than what you speak of. I'm up and down the beach at all times of the day of evening. OK, I'm not one to be hanging out really late, but at least in my experience, I've never felt threatened. In any place, US or Belize, one has to exercise some caution, so hanging out with questionable people half the night could very well be a problem, anywhere. I'm an early riser, so take off up and down the beach at Amergris by sunrise, on my own. Nothing but totally nice folks have I met. My husband and I have been all over Belize. I hope one day to live there several months of the year. Re the inland areas, again, I've never felt threatened. Now, needless to say, one probably should take some care in Belize City, as one does in any city, but a sensible person probably won't be in trouble. I've been to lots of places in Central America, and never felt safer than in Belize.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.