Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#101377 04/25/05 06:46 PM
Didn't George,Dick,Donald and Condy release a State Dept. report stating how safe Iraq was after a month into our adventure there? And if you come to Disneyland in LA PLEASE take the proper precautions. We have unstable politics,riots now and then,and lots of airline problems! And also we have had a rash of freeway shootings all around the OC so bring some kevlar. And if you visit in the fall please bring a firetruck and help us extinguish the brushfires. Oh and don't stay in a multi-story hotel,we get horrific earthquakes. And don't stay on a bluff overlooking the Pacific,can you say mudslides(no,not the drink you guys)? And limit your exposure at the bank. LA is the bank heist capital of America. Have a great time on the tea cup ride everyone! cool

#101378 04/25/05 06:50 PM
S
S
You forgot the high risk of a terrorist attack...

#101379 04/25/05 07:55 PM
We don't worry about the terrorist threats. Al Jazeera TV issued a Taliban State Dept. warning against travel to LA. They think it's WAY to dangerous! But i did forget gang members,pedophile washed up musicians,immigrants galore,WAY to many LAWYERS,smog,traffic,and a really bad actor starring as the Governator! cool

#101380 04/26/05 02:05 PM
M
M
usair just called to tell me our june 25 flights were moved by 5 minutes. So it looks as if everything will be running smoothly again.

#101381 04/26/05 03:45 PM
It seems to me that with progress and growth anywhere you get more problems and crime. We stopped going to Jamacia when we felt it too dangerous to stay outside of all inclusive resorts, which we hate. So far our trips to Belize have been wonderful, we love the people, the reef, food, etc, and have never been in fear. But, one of our guides did mention that a boat was stolen from Hol Chan while everyone was diving, so that now many of them will leave someone aboard. He was very sad about how things have changed. And one morning after cashing travellers checks at the bank I felt we were being followed by a couple of suspect men, we calmly crossed the street, and didn't look back as they made comments. We got to our property and they moved on. That's not to say the same thing couldn't happen here too. We were there last week and didn't have phone, internet or ATM service until Thursday, but it really wasn't a problem. There have been sporadic power and water outages both times were were there, you just have to go with the flow or don't go. It was actually kindof fun when the power was out for a couple of hours one night, we lit candles and sat on our balcony. There is no doubt that there are some issues there right now, hopefully they can be resolved quickly and peacefully. The building and growth on AC is ever present, hopefully it won't change the character of the island. But none of this is new, it happens everywhere, and won't prevent us from coming back, not even this itchy pica pica !!

#101382 04/26/05 06:28 PM
Raper,
Wipe the foam from your mouth, take a deep breath and reconsider in-patient treatment. Not sure what your rant against LA is based on, but I'm thinking a chemical imbalance is likely.

#101383 04/26/05 06:43 PM
Obtuse

The riots (Rodney king) never happened or did they?

#101384 04/26/05 06:56 PM
Real estate investment opportunities on beautiful Ambergris Caye, Belize... overlooking the barrier reef and Caribbean Sea.
English speaking commonwealth country
Stable government and economy
Guaranteed fee simple titles
No capital gains tax
No inheritance tax
Advanced offshore banking laws

Once people start doubting the ads, the business goes into the crapper.

Petey uno,
If the LA riots were happening today, and the same people on this board that have an economic interest in Belize had an economic interest in LA, they would be denying it was happening. Self interest rules here.

#101385 04/26/05 08:17 PM
T
T
Yes I agree with O.A.!

Everybody dump their property and run for your lives. There are a few or us crazy enough to stay behind and pick up the pieces for pennies on the dollar...

I think O.A. is a serious contender for our new minister of finance! Move over Ralph or you might get a fly hook in your eye!

All joking aside, then again I guess I am one of the few joking here, stability is obviously important. Stability isn't what is going to kill the investment economy in Belize. Taxation of hard working citizens to make up for the "carelesness" of the present/soon to be past government is a more likely contender.

So those of you who love Belize please bare with us. For those who aren't sure- please come and vacation here anyway as we need your money to help pay our taxes and utilities! (Even if none of them work)...

In closing- O.A. Cap't Jeff has invited you for a free day fishing and Pedro 1 has promised to provide (he didn't say pay) the beer for the day!
On the other hand Cap't Jeff will supply the boat and gasoline. You bring the tackle!

#101386 04/27/05 08:28 AM
K
K
Here's my take/ramble: been coming to AC 2-3 times a year for 7 years. I fish and it offers the best value for the opportunity/experience anywhere. I've never been on the mainland except the I-airport. I've never met a rude vendor/server/owner/taxi driver/bartender/clerk-even when i include P1. Opinionated maybe. I know little about the politics of the country, but am amazed at the lack of local gov't control. It irritates me when taxes and fees that I pay go up anywhere, but it's particularly galling when the $ doesn't help the local economy/industry that generates it. It's refreshing to see the citizens/workers respnse to their view of the prblems. Sure they inconvienced me last month, and some of you over the last few weeks, but I have yet to hear/read about an action directed at a visitor. I don't know if I believe that would be true elsewhere and speaks volumes for the people of Belize. I intend to continue to visit,all the while remembering that I am a guest, and have no business telling belizeans what to do. If a time comes where my politics/religion/social values/sense of security are severely tested I'll find another destination. I'm a long from even considering that.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 152 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.