Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
S
The problem is that, by leaving only a few pennies, the wait staff will think you are a total a-hole and won't even stop to consider the fact that 1) you were unhappy with the service and 2) they will have no idea as to why you were unhappy.

In other words in the long run it accomplishes nothing. Would you go back to that restaurant and expect good service from the same wait staff next time? You're more likely to find something in your food.

Simon, I agree wholeheartedly... eek

Actually, I had dinner with a friend one time and the service was deplorable. I remarked that we needed to speak to someone. My friend said not to worry he would take care of it. At the end of our meal, when it was time to leave a tip... he took his glass of water and dropped a penny in it. Then took a cardboard coaster and put it ontop of the glass of water... turned it over very fast and placed it on the table. After laughing he removed the coaster and now had left a glass full of water, turned upsidedown with a penny in it.

You can imagine the rest. eek cool

Hmmm....so leaving one penny in water is better than talking with or to someone confused eek

Tip or don't........ it's a choice smile

S
S
What a great way to improve the attitude of the servers. That should boost morale and impress them with your maturity.

C
C
If service is not good, don't tip, but do tell the manager why you are not tipping so he/she can do his/her job. If service is great, let them know by leaving a big fat gratuity. Its not rocket science, and it doesn't matter what country you are in or from.

and here i thought tipping was a city in china.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
no NYGal, it's the WAY he left the penny. eek

S
S
Not that this is focused on service in Belize, but, for the most part, service is pretty good in Belize. Not entirely professional like you would find at a formal dining room in Manhattan, but friendly and casual.

Conde Naste did a survey and they found most visitors consider the people of Belize to be the country's most important asset, over all of our natural treasures. Hmmm?

Working with several start-up resorts here, no matter how poor the food, no one complained about service and the staff's willingness to do the best they can. I'm sure some do not fit this generalization.

Service is for the most part very good in Belize. Enough of my friends bring home $600 to $1200BZ per week in tips during the high season to prove it.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Hi all,
I just know not to get into this, but hey, here goes:

Originally posted by RD:
I agree with Pedro1 completely. The idea of tipping for poor service is just completely stupid. If the food isnt up to par, that may be the fault of either the cook or the management. Bad service, however, is simply that.... bad service. Why would anyone reward a waiter for bad service? I believe it is your responsiblility to advise the management in a constructive way. If your comments aren't dealt with professionaly, then you should probably not return to that establishment. Most businesses know that their best publicity is word of mouth and govern themselves accordingly.
Originally posted by Cass:
If service is not good, don't tip, but do tell the manager why you are not tipping so he/she can do his/her job. If service is great, let them know by leaving a big fat gratuity. Its not rocket science, and it doesn't matter what country you are in or from.
You BOTH have got it, if there is a problem, let a manager know---right then---and he/she should take charge of the situation and make it right. I will do whatever it takes to make a customer happy if I know there is an issue, but little can be done to repair a situation once a customer has left. We monitor our server's tip average (since you're wondering:15-18%) to make sure that his performance is good when we can't be on the spot, and I monitor this board for comments, because, as you say, RD, "Most businesses know that their best publicity is word of mouth"
Originally posted by Sir Isaac Newton:
Conde Naste did a survey and they found most visitors consider the people of Belize to be the country's most important asset, over all of our natural treasures. Hmmm?

SIN
Chris, you and they could not have been more right!

ORDER UP!!!
Chris
Casa Picasso

Casa Picasso celebrated three yearsthis May, thanks to all of you!
Chris and Jen
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,480
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.