Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Spearfishing? #104087
06/04/05 08:13 PM
06/04/05 08:13 PM
reaper Offline
reaper  Offline
Well....that just took all of our fun with this topic right away laugh Have a fantastic trip and watch out for the dynamite and grenades!!!! laugh cool

Re: Spearfishing? #104088
06/04/05 08:34 PM
06/04/05 08:34 PM
Home of The Weinermobile
S
sandb Offline
sandb  Offline
S
Amen.

But, I am concerned about your observations of captjeff's fishing habits.

Originally posted by Spleen:
...As an aside, I was troubled when I saw Cap'n Jeff's fishing pics including a small jewfish. That was a very juvenile example of what could be a 600 pound fish. I'm surprised that anyone would keep it, but that's why the law steps in to protect fish species when the fisherman won't...

Re: Spearfishing? #104089
06/05/05 09:03 AM
06/05/05 09:03 AM
New Jersey/sanpedro
captjeff Offline
captjeff  Offline
Why am I brought into this bull shit controversy? The fish we keep we give to folks free!!!! Who cannot afford to buy fish on their diet, they live in Belize City and we do a good deed. I fish with local captains who tell me the right thing to do on size and species. Capt Francisco Verde caught the fish that day. He has been living here over 45 years. Spleen or any other free thinking, limousine liberal, Eco minded do good.. keep my name out of this.!!!! you go tell Capt Francisco Verde yourself he is no fuc**ing good and he should listen to You!!And as you know all about his life and what fish he should keep and what is not good for him to fish for. if you have the bal*s ...A point of info When we go fishing the capt is the boss. it is There boat, there island. If he says to throw it back ,it is a done deal, we do not keep it as this is his island and he lives here. I am just a once a month gringo fisherman who loves the people and the island. I try not to tell locals what to ever do.so keep my name out of this crap,you are entitled to your opinions just keep me out of your silliness please..

Living The Dream Every Day!
Re: Spearfishing? #104090
06/05/05 10:08 AM
06/05/05 10:08 AM
New Jersey/sanpedro
captjeff Offline
captjeff  Offline
sandb here you go again a nobody, telling a somebody what to do . and whats right or wrong ..get a life..

Re: Spearfishing? #104091
06/05/05 10:30 AM
06/05/05 10:30 AM
Illinois, Arkansas,South Dakot...
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
Welcome to the world of some my buddy, where what you do is wrong and what they do is no problem. We all have an effect on our environment by just being part of it. Be it the fisherman who catches the fish, the dive operator who brings down divers who contribute their share of strain on the environment and probably want to eat some sea food after they are done looking at it or the business man who’s interests are getting more people on the island who want beaches and buildings and who create garbage, sewage, demand for taxis, roads, power, etc.

We need to all try to be responsible in our endeavors and live by the moto “live and let live unless it is the fish I want to eat for dinner”. wink

Re: Spearfishing? #104092
06/05/05 10:54 AM
06/05/05 10:54 AM
New Jersey/sanpedro
captjeff Offline
captjeff  Offline
bywaren,I can understand spleens feelngs , if he wants to spear fish god bless him ,but to bring me into this is bull, as he is a gringo just like me ,and first comming down in two weeks ???? he will stay a week have a fun time???so why is telling the local capt he is wrong for keeping a fish .. what a pair..then he blames me ???? I did not catch the fish he capt verde caught it not me!!!! a local sanpedro long time fisherman . in retrospect why get upset in a month we will say spleen who ?????? as for sandb we know her deal ,a opinionated do nothing .. all talk no action ..how much time, and money has she spent on helping the local belizean community.I suspect none ..and yes the city folks that had many free fish dinners think it was just wonderful........

Re: Spearfishing? #104093
06/05/05 12:00 PM
06/05/05 12:00 PM
NYgal Offline
NYgal  Offline
S T O P.......pointing FINGERS, all of you smile

Re: Spearfishing? #104094
06/05/05 12:01 PM
06/05/05 12:01 PM
West Palm Beach, Florida USA
S
Spleen Offline OP

Spleen  Offline OP
S
Jeff, why the rant? I say the taking of juvie jewfish is troubling and you're having something of a freak out. I didn't "blame" you for anything. I'm not sure why you're so threatened?

Jewsfish don't reach maturity until they're somewhere between 4 to 7 years old and 50 to 90 pounds. That fish looked to be about 20#.

It's great that you're donating the fish you catch to folks who can't afford to pay for it. My suggestion would be that in the course of that charity it might be better to release immature fish. Because jewfish can get so large and are slow to mature what might look like a full-grown fish for a black grouper or a gag is a baby for a jewfish. If I meet Cap'n Verde I'll be happy to make this suggestion to him personally and I promise to do it calmly and respectfully. If you read the entirety of my comments about that fish you'll note that I made my comment in the context of fisherman protecting the integrity of their own fishing grounds and it's harvestable population to avoid regulatory control. Gov'ts step in to regulate fishing when fisherman, commercial and recreational, fail to regulate themselves.

I know you'd love to peg a guy like me as some elitist lefty eco do-gooder. I myself wouldn't mind the limo if that comes with the job. The truth is I've been fishing for 30 years, diving for 20 and spearing for 10 and I've killed my share of fish. If you want to call me anything call me a libertarian, because what I would like to see is fisherman regulate their own fishery responsibly *without* the hassles and endless debate that comes with regulatory intervention.

Re: Spearfishing? #104095
06/05/05 12:13 PM
06/05/05 12:13 PM
K
KS Offline

KS  Offline
K
All I want to know with all this organic nitrogen floating around is will I still be able to fish when I come in Sept.

Also it seems to me that making a precise targeted "kill" versus the random method might be better for the fish and thats coming from a guy that has fished with a pole for 50 years.

Re: Spearfishing? #104096
06/05/05 12:15 PM
06/05/05 12:15 PM
K
KS Offline

KS  Offline
K
All I want to know with all this organic nitrogen floating around is will I still be able to fish when I come in Sept.

Also it seems to me that making a precise targeted "kill" versus the random method might be better for the fish and thats coming from a guy that has fished with a pole for 50 years.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
February
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (dabunk), 498 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,607
Posts479,058
Members19,595
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.