Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Nope, thankfully I was only in grade school in Oakville, Ontario back in '73. The name comes from a couple of friends of mine who helped me get the business started here on the island, they owned the famous but now closed Lagniappe Restaurant across from Fido's. Dan's roots are based in New Orleans hence the Cajun connection.

la-gniappe
(LAN-yap)

n. Chiefly Southern Louisiana & Mississippi

A small gift given a customer by a merchant at the time of purchase; broadly: something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure.

[Louisiana French, from American Spanish la Napa, the gift : la, the (from Latin illa, feminine of ille, that, the; see al-1 in Indo-European roots)+ ñapa (variant of yapa, gift, from Quechua, from yapay, to give more).]

"We picked up one excellent word" wrote Mark Twain in Life on the Mississippi (1883), "a word worth traveling to New Orleans to get; a nice limber, expressive, handy word --'lagniappe.'

Everybody wants something! Those of us who live north of the cut have not been in favor of a bridge for a long time. However,there is so much construction going on up north that the stream of workers on bicycles has caused a lot of problems. Even though there are signs posted stating that golf carts are to load first whenever there are no police for enforcement it is ignored. The rudeness of the workers crowding ahead of golf carts has caused many ugly confrontations. I'm sorry to say that the northerners are caving in and beginning to support the construction of a bridge.

Even though the elected officials swear that it will be divided in the middle and each lane will only be wide enough for golf carts, the toll plaza in the middle is removable.

It has repeatedly been reported that Barry Bowen was financing the bridge. A few weeks ago that was clarified to mean that he is loaning the officials the money. It is also rumored that an outfit doing a large development has contributed money to somebody's pocket. That is a rumor only.

So, you may ask "Why do you not want a bridge and a road?" The answer is simple - who wants the traffic mess and torn up roads with the dust and noise that now exists in town? We like our quiet golf carts that just bump along.

People who invest up north might want to keep in mind how successful the existing resorts have been without a bridge and road. There are still a lot of people who 'come here to get away from it all."

I guess it may happen - but I am not going to hold my breath.
:p

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Loansum

SMALL WORLD!

Hi this is Scubaldy from the Ambergris Caye message board. Can you believe I have a sister who now lives in Sequim?
eek

Harriette
Opps - I tried sending this to your e-mail and it bounced. shocked

Harriette
S
S
From the Chamber of Commerce Meeting Minutes, June 9, 2005:

8-Boca del Rio Bridge Update:

Chamber President, Tom Vidrine, has met with the Honorable Area Representative, Manuel Heredia. Tom was told that the bridge should begin construction within a week's time and will be up and ready for use in about 2 months after construction begins. The width of the bridge will be 22 feet and there will be an 8 foot clearance underneath during high tide.

S
S
...........and people laughed and said it wouldn't happen.................

Tiger's course is next folks!!!!!!!!!!!

"One to grow on"

CIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
So what does it cost to cross the bridge?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Heard it will be same as ferry charges.

Reality..What a concept!
I thought the bridge was complete and "up and running". Can someone confirm that? We're heading down next Wednesday.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
ScubaLdy, you would surely know if it's finished. You could probably see it from your window!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 111 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.