Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mobility #109343
10/12/05 02:22 PM
10/12/05 02:22 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,366
San Diego, Ca.
deacon+ Offline OP
deacon+  Offline OP
I am in a wheelchair about 75% of the time. Will this be a problem for me there?

Re: Mobility #109344
10/12/05 02:32 PM
10/12/05 02:32 PM

San Pedro isn't deliberately wheelchair-friendly, but much of it isn't particularly unfriendly. You need to choose carefully where you stay - my immediate thought is that Sunbreeze would work well for you. The streets are mainly sand, and the beach is also a thoroughfare, so you'd really want a chair with fat soft tyres. But you'll find a lot of willing help for the places where otherwise you'd struggle. I haven't come across any wheelchair-friendly vehicles, though many taxis are minivan style and could work.

If you want to dive and don't have use of your legs, I believe there are one or two local instructors who have relevant training. I do know that there was a wheelchair-bound diver staying at and diving with Ramon's recently.

Re: Mobility #109345
10/13/05 07:34 AM
10/13/05 07:34 AM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 193
Craigswench Offline
Craigswench  Offline
My boyfriend is in a wheelchair, and I have told him that Belize in general is not that accessible.

My suggestion would be Corona's, since they do at least have an elevator, but be patient, and watch out for the taxis.

And yes, there are several divemasters who can help you out if you are water-bound. Amigos would be the first one to contact.

Re: Mobility #109346
10/13/05 08:07 AM
10/13/05 08:07 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 4,268
Bellaire, Tx. and the World
Denny Shane Offline
Denny Shane  Offline
deacon, you said 75% of the time. What do you do the other 25%... does this mean you can get around 25% of the time without a chair? This could make a difference in accommodations, etc. However if you are bed-ridden that 25% then there are some problems.

Re: Mobility #109347
10/13/05 08:14 AM
10/13/05 08:14 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,337
MALIBU Offline
MALIBU  Offline
I find that I am 'water-bound' when in Belize as well Craigswench.

Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 312 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020 HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1