Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#109527 10/17/05 09:27 PM
B
OP Offline
B
We will be first timers to AC in Nov. We are interested in taking a cave tubing/ruins tour, without the trip to the zoo. Do you know if any tour operators will do that? My other question concerns my 13 and 9 year old daughters. They are NOT adventurous, and I'm concerned about their ability to ride the tubes...how fast is the water flow? how dark are the caves? Would my 9 year old be able to ride with an adult, or must she ride alone? Do you just ride with the flow, or do you have to navigate your tube through areas? If these questions can be answered, it will help us in deciding if we all will be taking this adventure, or if we should leave the apprehensive kids at the hotel with their grandma! (And save us a bundle of $$!) Thanks.

#109528 10/18/05 07:14 AM
Four weeks ago my wife and I did a trip to Xunantunich and cave tubing. We went with "Tuff E Nuff" and they were very good. You will regret not taking the girls (except for maybe the expense smile ) . It was a full day but not too much. The ruins hike is comfortable and not too strenuous. The tubing is not too fast at all. It'll knock you off your feet, but you don't feel out of control on the tube. You can stand-up nearly half the way. You really cannot steer incorrectly. Your 9-year old will likely be upset if she doesn't get her own tube. This is not whitewater rafting or anything like that. There is one stretch of caves that is completely dark for about 7-10 minutes. The guide will invite you to turn your lights off. Ask your guide before you get in to warn you when this is coming so you can all lock boats to ensure your girls don't feel uncomfortable. The cave formations are the best part of the trip, not the adventure part at all. You'll also enjoy the ride there through small towns. Ask lots of questions, there's a lot of great culture on the Western Highway. We missed doing Lamani which is the premier trip (as the board folks will tell you) -- but you cannot do anything else with that trip. Ahhhh, next time.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
#109529 10/18/05 10:21 AM
Hi beachbum,

I would say that as long as your girls are not generally afraid of the dark already, then it will be an enjoyable experience for them. The caves were quiet and cool and very relaxing. Sometimes the water is shallow (inches) and you have to do a "butts up" call to lift your abdomen out of the way to pass shallow areas (or maybe get out and walk a bit).

Our guides required life jackets for everyone for extra safety, but for experienced swimmers it is an added caution only. We stopped at a couple on pools outside caves for fun swimming in gorgeous water.

We had no problem keeping our group together.

We did have a bit of a hike carrying tubes and life jackets to the "put in" site. Perhaps different guides do that for you. But the walk through the jungle, on a well cleared trail was great. We went during dry season (April) and had no mosquito problem. Check and see if you need Deet in November.

We did Xunantunich (near Quatemala) for a Mayan trip. It's a small site but fascinating nontheless.

If your kids are hardy types, let them experience it all. Memories for a lifetime! Maybe for an "away from kids" date, a sunset cruise for you and your sweetie!

You're gonna have a blast, and you'll want to return!

#109530 10/18/05 03:16 PM
S
S
I would not skip the zoo! It's not a typical zoo like you would find in the states. It's small but I have never seen so many fat happy animals. I will be visiting again in May!

#109531 10/18/05 07:32 PM
I liked the zoo and cave tubing was a blast.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
#109532 10/23/05 05:39 PM
Check out Black Rock lodge. You can hear the Howling monkeys in the Jungle at night. It's next to the Mecal river about 4 miles from Guatemalia.

www.blackrocklodge.com

ArtZ SmartZ
#109533 10/24/05 12:32 PM
L
L
I have done cave tubing with Tanisha, lunch at Jaugar Paw and the zoo. Loved it all.

#109534 10/24/05 05:24 PM
HOw much does a trip cave tubing cost?

"If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere"

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.