Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#112835 12/14/05 12:42 PM
OP Offline
On our way home from Belize we encountered a problem with Maya & bottom line: They owe me money for a mistake they made.

However, the people at the desk at Maya didn't care one bit, and we had 10 minutes to book another flight & get to the airport or we'd miss our international flight. So I didn't have much time to argue with them.

Basically here is what happened:

On Saturday we had Aquamarina call Maya Air & change our flight from 9am to 10am. I stood there while she called, everything was confirmed, flight changed for all 3 of our travelers.

Sunday morning we arrive at Maya Air terminal. They look up my name & my name is on the 10am flight...but the other 2 people are not.

The lady at the counter proceeds to tell me that we've missed our flight & everything is full until 11am.

We freaked out because if we were not on a 10am flight out of there, we'd surely miss our 12pm international flight into Houston.

We argued, asked for a refund, tried to figure out what to do.

NO ONE cared.

We ended up having to run over to Tropic Air & re-pay for all of our flights. Maya refused to refund our money.

So, Maya screwed up, I'm now short quite a bit of $$ that I desperately need back, and I don't know how to get them to refund my money. We didn't miss our flight THEY SCREWED UP & never changed everyone over!!

I will never fly Maya Air again.

I encountered no problems in Belize until leaving & they were rude and didn't care at all about their own mistake.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my $$ refunded or is this just a lost cause???

"If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere"
#112836 12/14/05 12:47 PM
RMT Offline
I'm sure someone will have suggestions on what to do with Maya or not do but in the meantime let me ask you....did you use a credit card? If so can you file a dispute with them?
Good luck..Rhonda

#112837 12/14/05 12:54 PM
OP Offline
Yes we did.

#112838 12/14/05 01:02 PM
RMT Offline
Well I would call my Credit card co. DIRECTLY and see what they say. Have all your dates, times, facts ect.,. and usually they will remove it if you have all the facts in order. It's worth a try. That's why I always use a card for my own protection. Good luck Kristy!

#112839 12/14/05 01:06 PM
S
spl Offline
S
what b.s. your own travel agent through this board says they are not sure if you can get a refund? Totally unacceptable and not good business procedures.

They need to look at the long picture...referals are worth more than ripping someone off.

#112840 12/14/05 01:07 PM
OP Offline
its CLEARLY Maya's mistake. I even saw the piece of paper with filght times & the 10am flight had my name right at the top...but not the rest of my party.

Then all 3 of us were listed on the 9am flight with our names crossed out & she said "Sorry, you've missed your flight" & went to help the person behind us. RIDICULOUS !!!

I would attempt to contact Maya myself, but I'm not sure who to call/ask for/etc.

#112841 12/14/05 01:19 PM
OP Offline
ps. Let me clarify, my travel agent was very helpful & great throughout this whole trip. I just really need my $$ refunded!!!

#112842 12/14/05 01:34 PM
,kristykins step no#1 call maya air ... speak to someone of managament..if they tell you to pound salt,go to step #2 call card company ,dispute charge.have all facts ready and written confirmations ,to fax to card company .. would think as business people maya will do right by you ,but you need to be aggressive..I have seen this before, many times not with maya but other things..And you need to be firm and speak nice , and calm on the phone...all should be well ..if not e mail me off the board...as I know a little about travel business but just a little....???

Living The Dream Every Day!
#112843 12/14/05 02:04 PM
Worked for CC company for 7 years. If it gets to that point, call the company and let them know to expect a letter. The CC company is under no obligation to help you after a phone call -- it's the letter that starts the clock they are required to adhere to by their agreement with Visa or MasterCard. Ask where to send correspondence specifically for disputes. A good customer service rep will tell you what to include and may even fax you a letter template that helps them help you. If it's a smaller company make sure you have, at a minimum, the following: name, date of letter, cc # used, date of service, name of all travelers. In your story, make sure to use the words "service not performed," "denial of service," and "attempted to resolve with company management." After you tell the story, it would be a great idea to get an affidavit from the person who helped you at Aquamarina. Long story short, your CC company has full time employees who do nothing but execute their powers as narrowly defined by Visa (or MasterCard). They need to see evidence like itineraries and affidavits to help you. General word to the wise, Visa is much better with international disputes, MasterCard greatly reduces your dispute rights when you travel abroad. Good luck!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
#112844 12/14/05 02:53 PM
OP Offline
Wow. Great advice/information!!! thanks so much you guys. my travel agent is still also working on resolving this, so if that doesn't work, I will start making the nessesary calls. I'm definetly not backing down on this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.