Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#116784 01/31/06 12:15 PM
B
OP Offline
B
One of the most ironic things to happen on my trip two weeks ago I forgot to put in my trip report. Regardless of which side you agree with, it ought to make you think:

My family and I were in one golf cart, and our friends were in another. We poorly timed our trip back across the cut from the north such that we hit lunch-time traffic. As we were first in line, my golfcart made it on the ferry--just barely--along with a million construction workers bicycling home home for lunch.

On the other side, we waited for our friends. The ferry came across, but while they waited for the bicyclists to get on, more and more kept coming, such that the ferry was full, and my friend couldn't get on with his golfcart. In the meantime, another woman in a golfcart got behind him. Again the ferry came back to get him, and again the bicyclists pushed ahead and filled up the ferry. This time, however, I could hear the gringa from across the cut yelling at some of the people on the ferry. I then noticed my friends' golfcart was put on the ferry.

My friend said that this lady, who lives just north of the cut, raised hell with the ferry operator because none of the golf carts were being let on. She pointed to the sign for rules where it said that one golf cart would be allowed per ferry when a certain number of pedestrians were present. The ferry operator, however, pointed out that these men were just trying to get home for lunch. She raised such hell that apparently some of the workers muttered, under their breath, "Damn American." She heard it and said, "If it weren't for us damn Americans, you wouldn't have jobs up here!"

That's how it ended. She's right: all of the people on that ferry, were working up north of the cut, working on houses being built for the "damn Americans" (ok, maybe some Canadians, too). On the other hand, my friends and I (though not necessarily the gringa lady) were just visitors, having a good time, and these guys were working--and we weren't hurt by the extra wait. A bit ironic, I guess, and perhaps symptomatic of a small bit of ill-will I sensed while down there. Some people, long-time residents, I guess don't like the newcomers, but at the same time, like some of the benefits the newcomers have brought. It's hard to have one without the other. Just food for thought.

#116785 01/31/06 12:27 PM
And you wonder why they call us the Ugly Americans....how rude of her. Those guys going home for lunch should have priority....what, did she have a cake in the oven or something?

#116786 01/31/06 12:28 PM
It is ever thus.

That aside, this wasn't exactly what I expected to read when I saw "iron" in the thread title. wink

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#116787 01/31/06 12:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Crackin' up, SS
laugh laugh laugh

#116788 01/31/06 12:40 PM
So, SS....did you tink it would be needle in the thread? laugh laugh

#116789 01/31/06 12:55 PM
C
C
Putting in my 2 cents, again
Now you know why I kept bringing up bridge, and pushing for it. It looks like we needed this 3 years ago.
Finally a bridge to cross, and the ferry, well, maybe someone who likes this so much, ought to buy it.
First Disney attraction, on Island.
Ferry to No Where.

#116790 01/31/06 12:56 PM
This sounds like a project for hellokitty. Now everybody get along and you will get your stickers laugh laugh laugh laugh

#116791 01/31/06 02:07 PM
Looks like praise and honors for the "not participant" again. CS don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. Oh and the bridge goes the same place as the ferry does. The bridge is a good thing but CS had nothing to do with it neither did I. But someone taking credit for others hard work and effort over a long period of time is one of thing that causes resentment.

Latent hostility increases exponentially if not resolved. The issues of respect and resentment tend to linger for a long periods of time and have very little to do with a ferry or bridge. The local people need to "feel" like equals in their interaction and relationships with expats and tourists. If not the results surface in many ways some not very nice in the long run.

95% of people that I have seen and met while in AC have done their part to foster and cultivate a very positive relationship with the belizian people. It is something that we all need to work on and can always make improvements. It is day to day individual relationships that will reduce the issues that belizelaw identified. Yes maybe I do sound a little like hellokitty. Even if she is a little on the too sweet side and the sticker stuff about makes you sick, she does have some great points about friends and treating others right . She is better than me.

#116792 01/31/06 02:07 PM
I just don't know what to say. Seems every one involved was rude. I don't think anyone gets stickers....But, they can have mine....I don't really want them. I don't have a sticker book, and I've run out of places to stick them.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
#116793 01/31/06 02:16 PM
Well dern it! I've never been given a sticker from ms hellokitty! Now I feel left out.....here Sun&sand has too many she doesn't know what to do with them.

laugh laugh laugh

I don't know what to think about the initial post except this -- SS I was rather hoping to see a pic of a nice looking manly man holding an iron just waiting to iron my clothes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.