Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much Marty. My other half is the amateur archaeologist but funnily enough we get the San Pedro Sun delivered to us in London and read Dig It with interest every week. My partner went on a little excavation near the sewage plant (well you have to look everywhere don't you) and found a number of pottery shards. I have photographs if you are interested. Some were quite interesting. We left them with some people at the hotel who promised to drop them by the museum for us. I have no idea if they ever made it. I am more interested in the wildlife. I haven't found much on exactly what the wildlife population is like up there. Thanks so much for taking the time to give me more information. Do you know if there are any more active archaeologists on the island now?

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

G
G
Hi Colette,
My good friend (and mentor years ago) Richie Woods lives in San Pedro and he did a field guide on the wildlife, archaeology, shipwrecks, etc on Ambergris. It still serves as a pretty good referenc. I will try and find the link to it if it still exists on the web.
Also, as part of the process of establishing Bacalar Chico as a marine reserve, a biological survey was done of the terrestrial habitats and there is a report on that too. I think it was done by Simon Zisman and Coral Cay Conservation (they home office is in London) and you may be able to get a copy there. I may have a copy, but it would be in Belize.

G
G
Should have known, Marty has a link to it...
//www.ambergriscaye.com/fieldguide/

i'd get richie on this for sure. i haven't see a ton of wildlife up there. lots of birds, crocs

the coral cay conservation email is [email protected] i'm gonna try to get a copy of that book....

there is a lot of info on bacalar chico fish and coral here:

Fish and coral species lists for Belize
//Ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/art/belize_2000_taxon.pdf

there a lot of info for all of Belize, but there is a separate column for bacalar chico

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
You guys are fantastic. All of that information is great stuff. I am away this weekend but will have a good look at it when I get back on Monday. Looks like we have plenty to explore though!

www.conchcreative.com

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I am back from a great weekend (thanks to my hosts for bagging a delicious roe deer for Sunday lunch - yumm). Anyway, I am looking through that field guide and thanks for the heads up on that one Gail (you are full of great information). It seems more of a general field guide to Belize as opposed to AC as I don't think there are Howler Monkies on AC or Fer de Lance. Do correct me if I am wrong though. Nevertheless it is a bloody brilliant site. I might print it up and take it to bed for a good read.

Is there anything about Fauna more specific to AC? Is Richie someone who welcomes enquiries? Would we be able to approach him for advice? Are you aware of any current research being done up there...I'd be quite happy counting turtle eggs or croc footprints or whatnot.

ps. Can't get that pdf link to work for some reason.

www.conchcreative.com

Collyk -

try installing an updatede version of Acrobat Reader, that might fix the problem.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Will do. Thanks klcman. Computers are not my strong point.

www.conchcreative.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.