Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#126931 09/01/06 12:53 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Please Help!
I have been dying to visit Ambergris caye and my fiance and I cannot wait to do so on our honeymoon. Originally we booked 7 nights at Victoria House because we heard it was the place we just HAD to go. We are very culture oriented people. We like going places where we can talk to, meet and have fun drinking with people. And of course we love food. We do not necessarily need the most glamorous room because we only sleep there anyway.

After doing a lot of research i am starting to second guess of choice of VH. It is costing us so much $$ (over 3,000) for 7 nights. And although it is beautiful it seems far from town and a little more ritzy than we need. I also booked 3 nights on Caulker at the Seaside Cabanas and it was 120 for 3 nights ( much more reasonable). We will be doing that the last 3 nights of our HM.

Anyhow I want your advice. If i cancell VH I will lose my 300 dollar deposit, but will have to pay up over 3 grand when I get there. I am thinking about cancelling and booking Corona Del mar which seems closer to town and more people oriented. That would cost about 750 for 7 nights, but without excursions included. (VH includes snorkeling, a sail trip, a ruins trip and breakfast and dinner)
What is your experences with these resorts? sorry this is so long, I just don't want to make another mistake.
Thanks for your help!

;0)
#126932 09/01/06 01:28 PM
Victoria House is a wonderful choice for a honeymoon. Can you change the number of nights without a penalty? I would still stay there 3 or 4 nights then move into town for more action and go on to Caye Caulker as planned. That way you could have it all.

#126933 09/01/06 01:53 PM
We went down on June 19th through the 26th and stayed at Corona del Mar. We LOVED the place. Granted,it's not as ritzy as VH. (we met a couple while we were there that stayed at VH and really liked it) but Corona Del Mar is a nice place for the price. Miriam and Pamela will help you with any excursions or rentals that you might want to do and do it with a smile. Everyone there is extremely helpful and cheerful to boot! Frank will probably talk you into a game of horseshoes.
laugh "It's all good!" (You'll see what I mean if you stay there)
The rooms are kept clean and there is fresh water put into your mini fridge daily. If you want beer or anything else they can arrange for it to be in your fridge when you arrive!
We stayed on the 3rd floor last room on the left with a balcony. The view was really nice. Our room was a little small (not by much) but like you said, all we did was sleep there. Coconuts is right next door with darn good cerviche and George's Kitchen is across the street for a really good American breakfast as well as a good lunch. You're within walking distance of town and a dozen other places to eat and bars along the way. Sorry my reply is so long, but I loved Corona Del Mar and I'm looking forward to going back. I know VH is probably fancier, and so are other places, but for the money you can't beat Corona.

Take the road less traveled
#126934 09/01/06 02:15 PM
Victoria house is a top notch resort, the cream of the class here, one of best Ambergris Caye has. Corona is a beautiful well run hotel, but not a resort. It's a hotel/condo, very nice, people love it, but not the grounds/pool/service/class/ambiance of VH. Now you have to ask yourself, is the juice worth the squeeze ,after all this is your honeymoon?? It might be worth the move maybe? after doing the math. It should be very special and exciting for you both.... how much more is that worth?? My question to you is also can you drop!!!!! the extras?? Like how much for the meals/tours etc... you know they pack on very heavy service fees at VH!!! That also pushes the price up. Dining out is part of the San Pedro experience and lots of fun!!!! You get to meet new people or meet nobody and have a quiet candle lit dinner yourself, but the choice will be yours. Eating in the same place can sometimes be boring. And there are some great restaurants here and great bars in San Pedro as this is a wonderful venue for dining out with many choices!!! And is Victoria House forcing you to dine there??? Or did you ask for a package?? Because they are very pricy in their restaurant, one the highest on the island. It is very good, but very costly. If you can take away the tours and pricy dining, what would that bring it down to? Add back the costs of doing tours and food on your own and see what's the real deal. If you're in love, both places should make you happy!! Go live the dream and enjoy!

Living The Dream Every Day!
#126935 09/01/06 02:27 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thank for the advice. I am going to think on it for a few days. I did the math and it is about 2,000 less if we switch to Corona Del Mar. In the package I had with VH we were getting 2 meals a day and 3 trips (the ruins, a sailing trip and the marine snorkel trip) I am thinking that even if we did these each and ate in town twice a day we wouldn't spend close to 2,500. What do you think? I am not sure on the individual cost of the trips, but I wouldn't think it would be that much.

;0)
#126936 09/01/06 02:35 PM
clinemick, depending how much you drink, $150-$200 a day is plenty for 2 meals and drink for you both.

#126937 09/01/06 02:47 PM
a full breakfast in town for two $18 us with a tip ,nice place not just buns and coffee. a dinner at a very nice place,from $40 to 50$$ us for two no wine includes like one appeitzer and either fish or chicken/ pork plates with side dishes / salad maybe one dessert !!!! now dinner a great place with wine /drinks from $80to $100 for two .like casa picasso /blue water grill /el divino etc in my top ten picks ..thats $$us dollars again and depening how much you order and what what you eat ????grilled lobster dinner is around $25/30 perperson us in nice air cond place .also how much you drink ,last trip had fried chicken, rice and beans ,cole slaw lunch at the reef in town ,not fancy ,sand floor, no a/c no fan $4us plus tip not a bad deal..so you see you can go for less if thats you???? nobody knows you, but you!!!!! and your honey !!!!!.. when in belize prices will be in belize dollars two to one us,but quoted you in us$$$ as it will be better to understand prices..hope I gave you some to think about and prices are approximate prices you may eat more or less then more probably less as I am a good eater..Have a great stay..

Living The Dream Every Day!
#126938 09/01/06 04:33 PM
Stay at VH without the package (maybe for less days). Best of both worlds. You get one of the best resorts, service, etc and can eat at all the great independent restaurants. Corona del Mar does not begin to compare with VH for ambiance, amenities, service, etc. Nice place but very average....

#126939 09/01/06 05:07 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you all! I have decided to stick with VH, despite the cost. I figure since we are already going broke over the wedding, might as well top it off with the best honeymoon. It seems like everyone thinks it is worth the $$

On anothetr note, I am a US teacher looking for overseas penpals for my students (ages 13-14) who are students with behavior issues and learning disabilities...any ideas if there is a school on the Caye interested?

;0)
#126940 09/01/06 05:28 PM
Don't know about the Caye, but this message board should offer some potentials. :p

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.