Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#140936 01/03/02 06:41 PM
OP Offline
Heard that he was removed from original home and relocated to another place on AC, because he was eating too many dogs! Paper said that "he" is 7 ft. long, but the croc we were "introduced" too, also named Satan...was about 14 ft!!! Anybody know if he went back to original home??? Seems my past concerns about our dogs and the crocs, once we get moved, are very valid??!! C

#140937 01/03/02 08:57 PM
R
R
Hey Cheri;

I'm not saying that "crocs" are problem on AC, but "crocs" are a hazard that can be encountered from AC north to Cancun, they live in the back bays and lagoons, they inhabit ponds and lakes on the golf courses here and in Cancun. I've seen them on the new road north of Xcalak and I've seen them swimming in just off shore here in Cozumel and on the golf course, they also frequent a couple of the hotel pools. Reported attacks are few, however a "spring breaker" was nailed on the foot by a small croc when he went down to the lagoon to relieve himself, he kept his foot. A large one like your "Satan" is normally very territorial, when the natural food supply is high, they usually stay close to home, it's when there is a shortage of this natural food that they tend to move around. Younger males move around when crowded out of water their holes by larger males or when seeking a female for a night of romance on the beach. Females are very protective of their nest and their young just after hatching. House pets and children playing in or near these water holes or nesting areas are the ones that get in trouble. Leashed pets shouldn't be walked in these areas either. I watched a gator in Florida stalk a leashed poodle, on a low pier, for 15 minutes before the dog's owner woke up saw the gator less than 10 feet away. Always be aware of where your dog is and his surroundings.

FYI; Cancun, a few years ago had a "jag" called "Beach Boy", his prints were seen several times on one of the beaches.

[This message has been edited by Rocio (edited 01-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Rocio (edited 01-03-2002).]

#140938 01/04/02 12:27 AM
D
D
the crocs on ac are also a rare breed of saltwater drocs. i think there are less than 1000 left. i do know they are an endangered species. if they are relocated they usually find their way back and if not another one will move in. where was satan moved to? to bad to bother him, if teh taxi drivers and tourists did not insist on feeding him and such then he wouldn't be as bad an issue. there is a 'croc man' on the mainland, steve i thnk. last i heard he was planning on coming to sp to gove a talk about all of this. has anyone heard anymore about it?

#140939 01/04/02 12:35 PM
Satan the croc passed in front of our house Wednesday morning at about 6:10. My dogs were going ape. Luckily for them we have a fence.

Satan was making his merrry way north from the Wasa lagoon, where there are more than 30 crocs, all territorial and not at all happy with Satan's presence there, back to his lake opposite Banyan Bay Resort where he was the only occupant.

There is no way you can move a croc 1/2 mile and not expect it to go back to its start point. Unfortunately for Satan the future does not look bright as there are families with children living along the lake.

A footnote: my wife got up to check out why the dogs were going batty. She saw the croc. Two minutes later when her heart had started beating again she informed me.

#140940 01/04/02 01:37 PM
does anyone have steve irwin's number at the australia zoo? he is my hero. i have watched him catch "saltys" on animal planet many times. he's an expert.
gay

#140941 01/04/02 02:41 PM
M
M
rickcheri --

I think that Ali Gentry at El Pescador lost a couple of dogs to crocs. Very, very sad. You probably want to figure out some sort of precautions.

Mike

#140942 01/06/02 10:45 AM
OP Offline
Our dogs are pretty big..2 chow chow's, one 45lbs., the other 62 lbs. Was wondering if the crocs are ever deterred or intimidated by the size of the prey they are looking at??? C

#140943 01/06/02 12:28 PM
Don't think size is any deterrent, see them pulling down cow sized Wildabeasts in Africa on Discovery channel all the time! Those Mamas weigh hundreds of pounds!...Richard

#140944 01/06/02 01:44 PM
C
C
Steve Irwin is a real life Tarzan. He is pretty darn cool. A little over dramatic, but very cool.

Rickcheri, you have chows in San Pedro? I have a couple Shar-peis and I wasn't sure how they would take the temps and humidity there. How do your Chows do?

Coe

#140945 01/06/02 03:47 PM
OP Offline
oh Coey....we don't live there yet!!! I WISHED...ANY interested investors??????? .lol but am getting ready to....have more questions, even after all these years/trips!!! still questions, but the crocs have been a concern of mine for a couple years now! Too many friends who have lost dogs!!?? How often do they reproduce???
How many eggs etc....any children hurt yet??? C Is "Satan" still re-located???

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 01-06-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 209 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.