Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#187599 01/23/06 06:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
There WAS no Cancun 40 years ago. It was created by the Mexican govt. who knew what the $$$$$$$$ of tourism meant to their economy. They will have developed their entire coastline within the next 10 years max. and just ONE of their last endeavors is the development of the Quintana Roo---coastline as one of the latest and newest bastions for tourist $$$$$$$$$. Their are numerous Mayan attractions inland, as well. Ask SIN--he knows.

#187600 01/23/06 07:32 PM
P
P
Political pie in the sky maybe, but I heard a prominent politician recently say the road between Mexico and Ambergris Caye had already been started - I'm not sure if that was physically or the planning - and that the starting point was not at the San Pedro end.

Just ten years ago along the Mayan Riviera there were few to no hotels outside the towns, the coast is solid hotels down to where, Tulum now?

It is a matter of time, the only question is how much of it. Too much money in undeveloped land that is cheap by Caribbean beachfront standards. Do the numbers on 26 miles at (a probably conservative) US$1500 per front foot and it's well over US$200 Million on just the beachfront. That's either a lot of money not earning a return or a lot of retirement lots for the baby boomers!

#187601 01/23/06 10:07 PM
[Linked Image]

Looks like Mexico has already started on the 6-lane suspension bridge to the mega-highway going south into Ambergris Caye, joining up to the proposed Ambergris International Airport with its 3 mega-terminals with easy connections to the planned Hilton, Marriott and Sheraton 500 room ultra-resorts each with its own 18 hole PGA golf course.

Meanwhile here in San Pedro I'm washing my tennis shoes because they got covered in street mud from today's rains. I didn't even take my rental golf cart out of the yard because I have no wish to destroy my brother-in-laws (Cholo's) golf cart by attempting to actually DRIVE it on these ridiculous roads.

#187602 01/23/06 10:45 PM
C
C
yeah but thats what makes AC unique, and unlike any other island in the Carribean, i don't think that there will ever be a highway to mainland MEX the "true locals" (sanpedranos that have been liviing on this island for there entire lives) won't let that happen.

#187603 01/24/06 02:10 AM
Chris,
I have seen the bridge and can't wait to cross over..ok, but you went before

#187604 01/24/06 02:14 AM
Why Can't there be an airstrip? Is that a worse thing that a road/bridge? Just curious..

#187605 01/24/06 07:59 AM
lacysbeach, the photo above (taken yesterday) is of the channel in Mexico close to Ambergris. So is the subject of this thread. You're thinking of the bridge over the San Pedro "river" which is almost done.

For an airstrip to go in where the old one still is up north needs a reason. You know, a town, some people, that kind of thing.

#187606 01/24/06 08:53 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Glad I started this topic, as it has brought many questions, and a lot of interest, as well as some answers.
Chris, thanks for pic, will try and get up there in next few trips.

#187607 01/24/06 09:23 AM
Are the Mexicans going to put a bridge over the channel? I thought it was blasted to allow larger ferry boats and possibly cruise ships more access.

Good point about there not being a main road deeded on northern Ambergris Caye BDBelize.

The government isn't going to spearhead a road and bridge project in this area.

It's taken AC over 25 years to put in the imminent bridge, who on earth would want to start the bridge to Mexico?

Folks that own land on Northern Ambergris Caye (north of Rocky Point) bought there because they want to get away from the hustle and bustle of San Pedro, do you really think they will give up parts of their property for a road that will hook up to Quintana Roo??

Lacybeach, there is already an airstrip on North Ambergris Caye.

The big differnce between Belize and Mexico is that if the Mexican government wants to own the beachfront that is held by the private sector, it goes out and gets it. On the other hand, because of the laws of Belize, the GOB will not be able to go out and snatch private land away from the owners, it would need to buy the land at fair market value. Soooo, that ain't gonna happen. Therefore it is highly unlikely that the government of Belize is going to spearhead a road or bridge.

#187608 01/24/06 09:26 AM
C
C
The canal is a military installation built by the military.
It was built to give the navy access to the Caribbean without having to go through Belizean waters.
The canal will only accomidate shallow draft boats. Access to it through the Bay of Chetamal is also very shallow. There is little intent at this time for commercial/tourism traffic.
The reef wasn't damaged during construction.
Building the Basil Jones airstrip into an airport able to handle commercial traffic is a financial undertaking that neither the GOB, private sector or both combined could bare, not now, not in the near future.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,034
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.