Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#207971 06/22/01 12:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I'm sorry it's taking so long for me to post. I know that several of you are waiting patiently to hear of the adventures.
My husband and I bought a house about 3 miles south of San Pedro, "furnished", in very good condition.
The closing was set for June 1, so we shipped 15 boxes of household goods on May 10, with the instructions to deliver these to the house on May 30, our arrival date. We were to be on island for 7 days. We shipped everything, including a tv, microwave, charmin, towels, bedding, kitchen supplies, etc. We also put our dive gear in the shipping, so we wouldn't have to lug it on the plane.
Needless to say, when we arrived, I got the keys from Tricia at Southwind Properties (I highly recommend her!), and went directly to Expresslane to check on our cargo. We were told that our "stuff" was in BC, and would be on the morning barge the next day. I borrowed sheets, we had one towel with us, and we headed for our house. It was like camping out for me that night, which I loathe. I sleep with the tv on, so this was torture. The next a.m. we got up early, filled with anticipation. By noon, we had to leave to go to BTL, BEL, WASA, Coral Cable, etc.(this process went pretty smoothly, although slowly. Just take money with you for deposits, etc. And they do let you pay forward. Note: I tried to get a PO Box for our mail to be sent, but none are available and there is no waiting list. I have a friend who offered their number and they are going to forward to us... just an idea) I couldn't call to check on our boxes, the phone was in them. Stopped by Expresslane, and was told there was a miscommunication, our boxes would be on the next am barge. This was Thursday. Butch had to get his Belize drivers license (we bought a golf cart--check with residents, they can help you with the intricacies of this procedure). That was interesting. Some was just so basic, "A radiator cools the engine", (not that a golf cart even has a radiator), but some was about parking restrictions and one way streets in Belize City. (he passed the test...). Friday, we got up early, sure that our stuff would be delivered any minute. Yeah right... late afternoon, Butch went into town and was told that they were sorry. The boxes got held up because we had to get a permit for Charmin! OK, stop laughing. That's what they said. 6 lousy rolls. But we were assured that, even though they didn't work on Saturday, they had arranged for us to get our delivery at 6 a.m. Sat. Promise. We got up early, and sat there until noon. I was furious. (Butch had bought a phone on Friday), so I called Expresslane and left them a not-very-southern-ladylike message. I then called the Belize office, no answer. I tried the Miami number, no answer. We went into town and went to the barge dock and waited... (Jambel (sp) Jerk is right there, so it wasn't bad duty...) A barge came in, no boxes. The guys on that barge told us it was probably the last of the day. So we went back home, fuming, and took a siesta. About 5 pm, I heard a noise and woke Butch telling him that someone was in our house! Well, our boxes had arrived! (Butch gave them a large tip for working on Saturday, and they repaid us by stealing Butch's cigarettes, his .99 bic, and the sterling lighter cover that his now-deceased daughter gave him.)
I spent the rest of that night unloading boxes, putting away, and decorating. What fun! Sunday, I woke up and could finally get into Belize mode.
We were fortunate to meet some more wonderful people. I took a 6 pack of Bud to Dallas Dave, and had the opportunity to meet him and spend some time with him and Lacey. We met Carpenter Dave (the bartender at Crazy Canucks) and builder of many things (he did work at Mango's). Met James from Mangos, and his friends who all had great accents! Ebby (sp) took us out on his boat to relax one afternoon. It was beautiful. Met many boarders! Munichchick, and others all met at BC's for Debbie's party, and then went to the Palapa to hear Barefoot Skinny jam. Debbie finally showed up! She is just a sweetheart,( but Jane, she was thinking about you). We ended up staying an extra week, did some snorkeling, ate alot, drank alot... If you missed the orgasm joke at Fido's on Monday, you really missed it. Barefoot Skinny blushed, and I don't much can make him blush.
All in all, the process was about what I expected, not as expensive as anticipated, but definatly worth it. We are hoping to go down in September for a couple of weeks, then again in January.
Although this doesn't relate to the move, I want to share this with you... (several of you have asked, and it's no secret). My son, Cheyenne, (16 years), passed away from cancer in January. I needed to get away, and we went to Belize. Both of us just fell in love with the place and the people. We saw this little house, and it called to us. Being on the island, both in February and this trip, it makes the pain a bit easier to deal with. I don't see my son in all the familiar places.
So, I know that some of you are heading down soon, if you have questions, feel free to email me. I know that you will be amazed, frustrated, awed, aggravated, etc... but remember that it will be worth it in the end.
Vicki
[email protected]

Vicky, can't say that I know the pain you must be in, but I can say that you sound like a pretty strong woman. You take all the time you need wherever in the world you want to take it to heal. San Pedro sounds like a sure bet. You are in my prayers and I know that the big air traffic controller in the sky is watching out for your son. Hopefully this isn't too religous for you. Take care, Becky.

p.s. - sorry I spelled your name wrong, I was thinking and typing too fast.

Ibanole...did ya'll move for good or are you back in the states? Rick and i have a lot in Tres COcos, north of the cut! your info answered some questions for me..thank you! When will you make a permanent move, and what will ya'll do/work??? on another note, so sorry for your loss....he is at peace and as someone once told me.."True JOY is felt when we finally shed our physicasl bodies"....he is JOY!!! PS>>Tricia and Rashell at Southwind are the BEST!!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I don't know if I will ever move down full time, (I will probably spend fall in the states, football season and shopping time...). Butch, on the other hand, is ready to move down now, but has some family issues to deal with. Are ya'll moving down?
Butch will spend his time in AC working on his saltwater aquariums, and doing commodities on the computer. That's what he does here, so it will be no change for him. I have a little something in the works, but it is still a secret. Hopefully an announcement will be coming soon...
Do ya'll know that Barefoot is going to be in Dallas soon? I understand he will be away from AC for a couple of months, some time in Dallas, some in Vancouver, and some in Colorado with Lacey following their Mother's wishes.
Thanks for your words...
Vicki
PS: I didn't tell of my real adventures... Butch caught a boa constrictor in our yard, and killed a tarantula (he didn't know it wasn't poisonous, it was walking across my living room floor. Bad move...)

KC Offline
Vicki -- Thanks for the report! I've been waiting to hear how it went for you. Even with all of your troubles... I could stand it all except the snake and the tarantula. If I EVER wake up and find either IN MY HOUSE you will have to bury me in Belize, cuz I know my heart will fail.

I am excited to hear "your little secret!" Get it together soon, so you can share!!

Great to have you back on the board!

Kathy
PS: Do you have a computer yet in SP? I definitely need a computer there...

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
yes, we will be moving...have to have house built first. Have my own little secret in the making also. Want to do alot of volunteer work also...tudoring, saga society, and maybe offer a small gymnastics class on Saturday mornings, or even in the elementary school. A Boa huh. I have alot of concerns about my dogs/crocodiles...add boa's to that list now!! lol We make a business trip in July, a quick one, to meet w/some people...longer trip around Halloween...maybe will see you then! C

Vicki
Which home did you purchase? You say that your about 3 miles south, I believe I may be a little south of you. I am haveing Graniel build a house for me now. Perhaps we are neighbors. Mine is the concrete home with the pier, next to the white stucco one ( Ric & Kathy's ) Hoping to move the end of the year.

1bzman
L
L
Hi, We live at Casa Plata. It is on the beach. If you take the road to the beach from the Wasa plant, we are the white one, so you are in our neiborhood. We will be back on the island in Aug. We generally spend about 6 or 7 mo. on the island. If we can be any help to you, answering questions etc. let me know. Laughed at the boa story. We went in to the bathroom one night to find one wrapped around the toilet. I won't even tell you about the time of the crab migration, but watch your butt when you sit down!! Welcome to the neighborhood, we'll look forward to meeting you. R.B> and Judy

R.B. Mernitz
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
We bought Marlon's house. It's right in front of the Carib Island Resort, white with green trim with angled roof. Adorable little house. Everyone laughs when I call it little, I guess it's average for Belize about 1100 sf, but my house in the states is about 6800, so it's a big difference to me. We are thinking about building, but maybe downsizing would be the best thing for us.
I doubt we will build unless I move down full time...
Glad to know we have boarders for neighbors. Keep in touch!
Vicki

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 187 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,035
Members20,474
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.