Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21915 04/09/00 07:28 PM
C
Charlie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi, I've enjoyed reading different posts about Belize and what to do and where to stay. I am thinking of going to Belize sometime this summer. What are your thoughts on traveling by myself? (I'm female, BTW) Will I be bored out of my mind? I don't dive, but I have snorkeled, although it's been quite awhile. I'm thinking specifically of Ambergris Caye. I want to relax, but I imagine at some point, I will want to do something other than hang out on the beach. I've traveled by myself before, and I know that most of your experience depends on what you put into it. However, I would appreciate any thoughts you have on doing this by myself - re: safety, places to stay, things to do, etc. Thanks a lot!
Charlie

#21916 04/09/00 09:10 PM
I have met many gals traveling alone, staying for a couple weeks in San Pedro, and they were having a great time.

Snorkeling is great fun, i taught my kids in the hot tub the night before, then you are ready to roll. You'd pick it up right quick, it is nice to have a mask that fits your face precisely, though plenty of rentals are available.

I really enjoy kayaking the back side: //AmbergrisCaye.com/seaduced/kayaking.html

and heading over to Lamanai: //AmbergrisCaye.com/tanisha/lamanai.html

theres some great dancing at night downtown, its awesome to dance til ya sweat yer head off, then dive into the ocean, and come back in for more dancing. When I'm sweatin' to death on the dance floor here in Oregon, I always wish I could hit that water outside...

I love touring all the escellent craft shops also, Iguana Jacks, Katrina's Eden Art by the airport, Belizean Arts at Fidos, the jewelry shops, the local art is great.

And then just hanging out on the beach, keeping wet and enjoying some good weather, killer limeades and some good reading.

#21917 04/09/00 09:27 PM
Hi Charlie,

I think you will find plenty to do on Ambergris Caye. There are many fine eating places and lots of beach bars for good conversation, and in many cases entertainment almost every night. You will be as safe as anywhere and better as long as you use basic common sense. I have met people (male & female) who walked the roads late at night and had no problems. Most Belizeans are very friendly and only too glad to help if you ask.

If you want to have a quiet place to stay, I suggest you get away from town and find a good hotel or resort from a half mile to 2 miles south of town. Taxi fares are very reasonable on the island, and bicycles or golf carts are readily available.

There are many good resorts and hotels available in this area including the Belize Yacht Club, Coconuts Caribbean Hotel, Caribbean Villas, Villas at Banyan Bay, Tropica Resort, Banana Beach Resort, and Mata Rocks.

Most mainland tours and reef snorkeling trips are available through your hotel from the front desk staff and cost no more and sometimes less than setting it up yourself.

Enjoy your vacation. Belize is one of the most diverse countries in the world for things to do. If you are bored in Belize, it is no ones fault but the person you see in the mirror.

**Jim
#21918 04/10/00 07:51 AM
Charlie,

Not sure why, but Belize attracts quite a number of single female travelers. In fact, as I travel around Belize I usually see more single women travelers than men, and others have remarked about this, too.

Everyone I've talked with or heard from on this subject has said solo travel by women in Belize is no problem. Use common sense precautions, of course, but Belize does not have (at least to the same degree) the machismo mentality of much of Latin America, which can be a pain for single women.

I'm often in Belize alone, and I enjoy staying at hotels where there's an opportunity for guests to mix -- just for conversation over drinks or at dinner. There are a lot of jungle lodges where that's possible or even encouraged, but fewer opportunities for this on Ambergris Caye. I think it's because most of the hotels are a bit larger (though still small), and more like traditional motels or hotels than a lodge, and people tend to dine out rather eat at their hotel. Still, it's pretty easy to meet people, both other travelers and locals.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#21919 04/11/00 08:49 AM
O
O
Charlie: On each of our stays we have met Single Women and Men. You might get some ideas by visiting my Web Site where I have in Parts 2 and 3 chronicled in text and pictures our visits. Go to http://oldgatorsnest.addr.com

The Oldgator's Homepage
http://oldgatorsnest.addr.com
#21920 04/12/00 03:14 PM
C
C
Charlie: Just returned last week from Belize. Spent 6 days at a Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio and 7 days at Ambergris Caye. I traveled solo and had a wonderful time. I met lots of interesting and friendly people who were traveling or worked at the places I stayed and visited. I was also the only female traveling alone that I met. I would highly recommend it. I visited ruins, went horsebackriding, canoeing, swimming in rivers and caves on the mainland, and snorkeling and relaxing on Ambergris Caye. Have a wonderful time.

Cindy

#21921 04/12/00 08:27 PM
C
Charlie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, everyone for the great advice. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. The other two options are a Maine Windjammer cruise or possibly Tahiti. Still thinking. But Belize does sound like a great possibility! Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 70 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.