Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
OP Offline
I have a friend that is going to AC in the summer.
I thought it would be fun to tell her where your CURRENT favorite place is to eat, maybe say where it's located and what you loved about it.
When we went in Feb this year we were introduced to El Patio. It's on the same side street as Jambel's in between Front St. and Middle St. It was really good but I think our favorite was the taco lady close to Fido's with the big dome cooker. Man those taco were good and spicy!

Also, does anyone have any comments on The Sunset Grill?

Time flys - have fun!
We ate at the Sunset Grill 2 times in March when we were there and thought it was very good although nothing unusual on the menu. Service both times was great and we enjoyed it. Also enjoyed El Patio and several others. I think our fav was the italian (sp?) place near the airport, I can't think of the name right now but I had the BEST lasagna that I have ever had anywhere and the pizza's looked really great too!!!

S
S
That was/is Pasta La Vista, owned by Sherry the pretty lady that sings with Dennis Wolfe's Band

i love jambels jerk pit and go everytime i am down. i also ate at carumbas last visit and thought it was good. another place i like to go is elvi`s..but i admit, im not a fine diner, i like the simpiler places.

fish

L
L
I like the views at the Sunset Grill....tranquil and calm. Good food. Nice atmosphere. I have treated myself to lunch there twice, both times with excellent company and a nice glass of Merlot. Can't ask for much better than that :-)

I had carne esada (sp?) for the first time the other night, and it was really tasty. A little place acrossed from Jaguars. For 7$ it is a great deal, and open late, like midnight on a Tuesday.

I still need to try El Patio, I have been meaning to, but kinda forget it is there.

Thanks lakegirl, I am glad you enjoyed my lasagna. I adore Italian food, and of course, I get the added perk of taste testing the sauces every so often, lol.

Sherry

Where exactly is Sunset Grill?

S
S
Southwest corner of old football field

G
G
Wild Mangos

My "Favorite Current Restaurant" is wherever my friend "HavinFun" is cooking be it in San Pedro, Houston, Spring, Galveston, Deer Lake, my house or wherever! grin Actually sometimes forget to eat in SP smirk but when I do, I would say the Reef, Papi's, BC's, Jambel's, Blue Water Grill, Wild Mango's, El Patio, Casa Picasso, Pedro's pizza, oh my maybe I do eat sometimes. smile But where has all the Rum & Belikins gone? shocked

Jesse, Sunset Grill is the old Thunderbolt dock?

yep

S
S
Elvi's or Caramba for dinner and Rico's for lunch El Divino's was good this time but a bit expensive

Caliente. Great service, awesome food. Love the ginger rum shrimp. Eaten there many times, never been disappointed. cool

Last time I was there, there was a lean-to on the side of a store on middle street that was offering two tacos for a buck or something like that and only had a couple tables. Don't remember the name but by far the best food on the island. I'll be back on Saturday so I'll see if it's still there. It will be my first stop.

If you want great food, island flavor, my list would be (in no particular order) Estel's (on the beach), El Patio, The Reef (on middle street), and Papi's (north, toward the bridge). And Caliente's is a definite favorite also.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Bobber - we think alike again! Mine (in order of favorites) are 1. The Reef, 2. El Patio and 3. Caliente's!

Of course, anything with lobster will be fair game in June!

I ate at El Patio and Caliente's this last trip down. Both were very good! As far as a favorite, that's really tough!

Caliente is my favorite!!

P
P
I like Wild Mango's, Tabu for breakfast or lunch, Estels,Cannibals, Blue Water Grill and the nachos at BC's. But of course for me not trip to SP is complete without DandE's frozen custard.

And don't forget about the vendors... we ate with different ones on several occasions... always great! So, they tore down the vendor "mall" there next to the park? Wow, well I'm glad we got to experience them, but then we found great food with the street vendors too! Never did have bad food for the whole time, I say its all good!

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
K
K
Caramba and Jambel are my two favorite places. You can't go wrong there. I also like Ambergris Delight, but they're nothing special.

Crocs are BAAAAAAAAAAAD
OP Offline
[quote=Windjammer]My "Favorite Current Restaurant" is wherever my friend "HavinFun" is cooking be it in San Pedro, Houston, Spring, Galveston, Deer Lake, my house or wherever! grin

Why thank you, my friend!!!! blush I did make some mean Black Chicken when we were in SP in Feb - why didn't you eat the chicken foot?!? sick
Thank you, everyone for your replies - so far - keep um coming smile

Time flys - have fun!
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
6string - they've all just been demolished.

S
S
Been enjoying Monkey Bites and a small local place just North of Banyan Bay lately.

S
S
Antojitos! My favorite! Saturday Noon BBQ... Chicken, Beans, Cole Slaw, Tortillas, BZ$7!!!
Best buy on the island!!!

S
S
Jeez, I was trying to be discreet.

S
S
Time to "OUT" the fav place!!!

We ate out a lot while there. Both Norm and I thought the Sunset Grill was fantastic...... the steak was absolutely the best i have had!
We also liked Mango's and Pasta La Vista...... had to agree on the Lasagna...

looking for special place to retire.
40 years breeding Multiple Best In Show Old English Sheepdogs
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jesse
Antojitos! My favorite! Saturday Noon BBQ... Chicken, Beans, Cole Slaw, Tortillas, BZ$7!!!
Best buy on the island!!!

Jesse - where is this place?

I also heard that Crazy Canuck's does a whole pig - do you know when they do this?

Many thanks for the replies : ) Send more, please : )

Time flys - have fun!
S
S
Antojitos is just south of Marinas and across the road...before Banyan Bay.
The folks at Monkey Bites did a Sunday Pig Roast at Canuck's a couple of weeks ago...a great success!
Last Sunday they did a lamb roast but also had shrimp and other choices.
I hear that they're planning something every Sunday now.
Check at Canuck's.

Sounds like the student Town Planners at the U. of Gringoland had their way...and demolished our precious food court. My favorite restaurants are Caliente's and Elvi's Kitchen. They both make me feel at home...only much better!!

Gone fishing!!
I agree with alot of you, they are all good, never had a bad meal anywhere. Next trip though I will go back to Pasta La Vista for the wonderful lasagna (maybe 2-3 times!!!) Can Sherry ship me a couple of pieces to Michigan!!!!

OP Offline
smile Bump

Last edited by HavinFun; 04/14/07 09:18 AM.

Time flys - have fun!
we did the pic at Canuck's a couple of weeks ago. It was FANTASTIC!!!! They said that it was origianllay done for someone's wedding, but mand, this was fantastic! Enogh food on yur plate to never eat it all! They had cold slaw, potatoe salad, corn, hot dogs yo kname it!

They said tey hoped to be able tcontine this........... we hope they do as well!!

Ali * Norm

looking for special place to retire.
40 years breeding Multiple Best In Show Old English Sheepdogs
For those keeping score:

iiiii El Patio
iiiii Caliente
iii Sunset grill
iii Pasta La Vista
iii Jambels Jerk Pit
iii Carumbas
iii Elvi's
iii Wild Mangos
ii Blue Water Grill
ii Reef
ii Papi's
ii BC's
ii Estel's
i Ambergris Delight
i Mangos
i Canuck's
i Monkey Bites
i Antojitos
i Cannibals
i Esada
i Tabu
i Casa Picasso
i Pedro's
i Rico's
i El Divino's

L
L
There really are some decent eateries here in San Pedro, and I am happy to have my place named in such good company. I will say it again though, the clubhouse sandwich at Celi's, taken to the Holiday Hotel beach veranda is excellent lunch for 10$. But I am going to try El Patio for lunch today.

Definitely Celi's for the fish burger!

fish burger? Sounds interesting... I'll try it when I'm down next!

My family just ate at El Patio and I must say... wow. Best food on the island yet.

OP Offline
Hey! Thanks for the stats so far, deadserious!
Anybody know were the best fish tacos may be found?

Time flys - have fun!
Hon Offline
Best fish tacos IMO are at a little hole in the wall place called Waraguma on Middle St.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
OP Offline
Thanks, Hon
You know we saw that place in Feb. It smelled really good and was very crowded - of course it didn't take to many people to fill it up : )
I will have to try it when we go back and will tell my friend too as well.

Time flys - have fun!
Another nice addition to San Pedro eats is the Pupusa lady in front of Warmongers on Middle Street. Pupusa's are wonderful to take home to enjoy over TV. They originated in El Salvadore. In San Salvadore...Pupusaria's line up for a block to compete for business.

Gone fishing!!
BT, what is a pupusa? Animal, Vegetable or mineral?

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
M
M
They are a corn cake usually filled with a cheese or meat filling. Usually served with a vinegar cabbage on the side. They are outstanding. keith

Sun&Sand: Pupusa's are like dough filled with your choice...my favorite is pork...and fried over a convex skillet. They are serviced with salsa and shredded cabbage. It is a joy to watch the making of Pupusa's. Bill

Gone fishing!!
Oh yeah the pupusa lady!! We ate with her once too, very excellent! She makes them things like all day long! The place is so small, what maybe 4 or 5 tables... I couldn't believe she could serve so many. They were great, and it was really cheap too. I regret that we didn't eat at El Patio now... walked by a few times.

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
El Patio has always been one of our favorites, and surprisingly it seems no one mentions it much until this thread.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
OP Offline
What is a convex skillet?

Time flys - have fun!
L
L
I ran into a number of board members when I was at El Patio on Monday, the service was good and so was the food.

Found El Patio on last trip down. Absolutely fantastic lunch spot! Try the grilled fish fillet with, of course, rice and beans and coleslaw. Will try for dinner next trip.

HavinFun: A convex skillet is simular to that of a concave skillet...only opposite wink. Bill

Gone fishing!!
I hear they are building a new restaurant, right next to where they are located now. It is supposed to be on two levels and sounds like it will be very nice. Does anyone who is there know anything more about this?

If this thread is any indication, they will need a new place for all of the business they will be getting!

Arriving 5/5 Pasta La Vista & El Patio are on the must do list.
Look forward to dinner at Rendezvous Restaurant also.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bill Thornton
HavinFun: A convex skillet is simular to that of a concave skillet...only opposite wink. Bill

Duh! : ) must have been havin a blonde day!!!!

Time flys - have fun!
V
V
Wild Mangos!

I enjoy El Patio - but liked their former location near Coconuts. My choice on their menu is Rosemary Chicken with their steamed vegetables.

I also love Jambels - also prefered their old location - dining on the roof top was always enjoyable.

My fave of favs now is Rojo Lounge - wink CaptJeff

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
S
S
I had THE BEST grilled cheese at El Patio (and I eat grilled cheese almost everywhere I go- somewhat of a conniseur) LOL. Seriously, we had great food at Wild Mango's and El Patio. Hubby enjoyed the Jerk Pit (a bit spicy for me) and Fido's NORTH was good too- Fido's South is a bit lacking in activity (could be because it's so far out of town?). We REALLY enjoyed the pupusa's at some little stand that was only open at night on Pescador.

do I have to get shots to go there? 8o)
S
S
Sunset is excellent!!!
and come before sunset and feed the Tarpon...amazing!!!

Yes, Sunset is great.

Tarpon are eager to be fed.

Dare To Deviate
OP Offline
smile

Time flys - have fun!
R
R
Just back from 1st trip to AC. Won't be my last. The only place that we didn't love was Cafe Picasso's. Met the owners. Very nice people, but the food (pasta) was very medicore and probably wouldn't last a month in a restaurant back in the states (at least here in Balt).

Other than that, I figure you could randomly stumble into a place and have something fresh and delicious.

We were a little south so had brunch every day at Monkey Bites. Really loved it. Try the Snapper Snack Tacos. Definitely different but great.

Flyyyy, Eagles, Flyyyy
I have to agree with you Robster. After all the talk we were also disappointed in Cafe Picasso's. Great Martini's but the food was mediocre for the price without any atmosphere. Rojo's has my vote for a special night out with great food and atmosphere.

We will have to try the Sunset Grill on our next visit in Oct.

Will third that opinion. Lots of hype in the past about Cafe Picasso. Very small portions of nothing special food, almost diner. That was third and last try there for us. Blue Water Grille our favorite. Rojo's number 2. JMO!

OP Offline
Bump : )
6 weeks to go!!!!
Thank you for the input - I'm going to try some your of the favorites when we are there in July.
Does anyone have any more?

Time flys - have fun!
I'm more prone to doing lunches in town and fixing dinner at home. I have found lunch and dinners to vary greatly at each restaurant. For instance I love the Sopa de lima at Calienties but it is only on the lunch menu.
Hacal Kik and El Fagon are both great local places. Hacal Kik specializes in baked goods and El Fagon has the traditional open kitchen in the yard.
Carrumba's and the Reef (just across the street) both serve good dinners at a reasonable price.
The Sunset Grill is very good for a bit of upscale dinning. Good food, good service, excellent table settings, glasses of water continuously refilled (instead of a bottle plopped on the table) and a school of BIG Tarpon feed as you do.
The Chamber of Commerce meets at lunch time at the Blue Water Grill and their food is good - I think better than their dinner menu - although they do make an excellent pesto pizza at dinner only.
OH - I KNOW - this opened the door for Peter to tell us that the best pizza in the whole wide world is at Pedro's Inn. OK - hold onto your socks - I actually went there a couple of weeks ago with Steve from the internet café and had to admit the pizza was excellent. In fact so good I also ordered one to go.
Beach'n Kitchen - about 1 mile north of the bridge serves good breakfast and lunches.
We had a tradition here on the north end - the night people arrived we dropped the luggage at the condo and went to Hamilton's for dinner - sure beat going back across the pull ferry.
Well - alas - the pull ferry is gone and Hamilton's is closed. Boo Hoo. However, Sweet Basil is now open and I have been taking my guests there. The food is wonderful! I'm so sorry they seem to have very little business. We so desperately need places to eat here on the south end of the north end. (Elbert - how's that for a disclaimer?)
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
Duane is now cooking at Antojitos, my favorite for lunch under $10BZ!!! (and close to work)

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Where is BC's?

BC's is on the beach...between Sunbreeze Hotel and Ramon's. Its a palapa hut bar.

Gone fishing!!
We Went to Sweet Basils for lunch on sunday, food was the same as I remember before it closed a couple of years ago. (very good) I am suprised that with the bridge in place that they are not doing more buisness there

Does anyone know if Taste of Thailand is open

S
S
Closed.

Does anyone know what will be closed for the off season? (Sept-Oct). Vivian at Rojo told me they will be closed all of Sept and possibly will open the last week of Oct. I am going to miss my frozen mojito!

VH closed Oct 2-25

Thanks Barb, at least we won't miss Dinner at Portofino.

The food at Portofino is excellent!

ScubaLdy, Hacal Kik has shut down.....no longer in operation.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Really??? That's too bad!

They where great when they started ,wonderful breads ,muffins cakes,yummy stuff !!! then the lots of staff changing,next closed, no mas??..Another living the dream plan that turns into a nightmare.I thought the ladies who owned it still have the resturant around the block two sisters .??

Last edited by captjeff; 06/22/07 02:22 PM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
S
S
No, they left there (El Fogon)too and their older sister, Susanna and her husband, Norman Eiley have taken over and are doing a great job. Norman does Pibil every Sunday and he's the best!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 75 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,480
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.