Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#234895 04/11/07 08:52 AM
OP Offline
Oh loyal readers, how I thank thee for thine patience during my unfortunate hiatus.

Purplethink.com is back, and I hope to publish 1-2 times weekly as I did before.

Latest addition for your enjoyment is below:
http://www.PurpleThink.com

It's Not About Imus
April 10,2007

"Our moment was taken away."
- Heather Zurich, Rutgers Basketball Player

Sometimes I think we PurpleThinkers are on a permanent acid trip because things that appear so clearly to us are lost on the public at large.

Shock jock Don Imus took a joke "way too far" on April 4, 2007. He called the Rutgers basketball team a bunch of "nappy-headed hos." Wow! This is obviously in very bad taste and nobody in their right mind would condone this behavior.

NBC and CBS were right to suspend Imus and further action should at least be considered. Many in the African-American leadership, including Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are calling for Imus to be fired. Interesting.

Regardless of how this plays out for Don Imus, it's a very sad tale. However, most sad is how those self-appointed leaders of African-American community continue to reinforce a culture of dependence among the Black population.

There is no way that an idiot like Don Imus is capable of taking away the extraordinary accomplishments of the Rutgers Women's Basketball team this year. As an underdog, they took the Big East championship and shocked all the b-ball pundits by playing for the national championship. The only way that the 14th ranked radio personality in the country, with a limited audience and even more limited credibility could take anything away from these women is if they let it happen.

By holding a 45-minute teleconference and making statements like, "we'd just like to express our great hurt," and "we were stripped of this moment" the Rutgers basketball team grants Don Imus authority over their lives that he otherwise wouldn't have had.

Then came the big whammy. Junior Matee Ajavon said "I think this has scarred me for life." Amazing! That a relatively obscure radio host that had never met any of these women can scar them for life with an off-hand comment is absolutely astonishing to me.

Nevermind the Black comedians and rap stars that make a living using language far more demeaning and violent to Black women. Guess Matee never heard these recordings. Or perhaps Al and Jesse just have never drawn her attention to these "artists." That's a good thing given Matee's obviously fragile state of being.

Of course, I see this for what it is -- melodramatic nonsense spurred-on by those who would profit from further racial division. I'm sure Matee and her entire team are strong, self-reliant, intelligent women deserving of everyone's respect. Shame they do such damage to themselves and young African-American girls that look to them as role models.

This in no way excuses Don Imus, nor is to suggest that the comments should be ignored. Rather, it should be met with simple calls for accountability - the end. Imagine the power in a simple statement from the Rutgers team stating,

"Our accomplishments speak for themselves. We are above this irrelevant nonsense and decline to lend further credence to this story. It says nothing about us and plenty about Don Imus. We simply recommend NBC, CBS, and their sponsors seriously look at the character of those with whom they choose to do business."

Powerful indeed -- class befitting the true character of this team.

Marching on Chicago and holding tearful press conferences further embeds into the African-American consciousness that Blacks can never succeed and be accountable for their own future because there are idiots out there.

Guess what? There will always be idiots out there!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Otter,

Well said!! Here's a piece from Jason Whitlock in the KC Star this morning along those same lines.

KC Star

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
OP Offline
Cool KC -- you have a great editorial writer out there (and not just because he agrees with me). He obviously has a following as I can see from the comments and he deserves it.

It is disgusting. Al and Jesse (and a number of others) are self appointed leaders pandering to the one thing that keeps them in power, the racial divide. They sit there searching for any little thing to trip their trigger and make a case that they are indeed the spokespeople for a whole set of people. Along comes Imus, long known for being a pot stirrer. The trigger gets pulled and it's news. I am also disgusted that anyone on the team would let this idiot ruin their lives. It's all about accomplishment, stupid, it's not about race, no matter how the idiots on both sides see it.
Am I going purple?

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
OP Offline
Resistance is futile -- you too will be assimilated

C
C
Spot-on, Otter (and Bobber). The news is what they make of it. Had Eddie Murphy uttered the phase, it would have elicited grins.

Imus, that idiot, keeps stepping on his d**k trying to get over it. Sharpton, as usual, is just enjoying the face time. Jesse (the other one) is probably mad he waited to jump in front of the cameras.

I was going to get a life, but this was easier.
I have witnessed brutal gang violence here in the LA area for 23 years. It's amazing to me when an inoccent child, or bystander is killed in a drive by in a black community that Al or Jesse never show up.
Their hypocracy is astounding.
Don Imus is an idiot.
Most people in today's society, black, white, brown or purple, are too busy getting through life to even worry about making a big deal about race issues anymore.
The double standard abounds...

T
T
imus on his way out???

major advertisers are dropping like flies. proctor & gamble, staples, bigelow tea, and now gm. follow the money!

RMT Offline

She's "scarred" for life and Imus, CBS and NBC will be hearing from her lawyer shortly.
Side note..
In today's paper here in the Pocono's there is an article about our local( popular) radio DJ who was just fired this morning for stupidly using the same phrasing as Imus.

Otter, thanks for posting this! Imus is a dope for saying what he did but some measure of sanity with all this would be nice.

S
S
Originally Posted by RMT

some measure of sanity with all this would be nice.

And you guys are discussing it on a Belize message board!
Thats sanity???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,036
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.