Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 113 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 112 113
NEMO BULLETIN #3-HURRICANE DEAN
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=245472#Post245472

In spite of all, be thankful that predictions and advance warnings have come such a long way . .we were caught in Playa del Carmen in 1988 when Gilbert came ashore. We had no notice from anyone until we were told we couldn't return to Cozumel because the ferries had been shut down. We rode it out inland in Vallodolid. Looking back, one of the the most intense experiences of my life . .at the time, I feared for my life. We were so saddened by the suffering that occurs when man is pitted against forces far out of his meager control. God protect you all . . this too shall pass, and we will be down in November, no matter what.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
Just found an excellent site with detailed info:
http://crownweather.com/tropical.html

[Linked Image]

I made the trip to Cozumel shortly after. The damage was crazy, crazy. The top of the reef looked like someone went through with a chainsaw and cut it off 10-20 feet below the surface, and left the debris all over littering the ocean.

After living through a few tornadoes, and seeing the damage that they do, I see simular types of scenes.

Bottom line, Nothing is bigger than the weather!

Stay Safe!

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
Wendy,

I am afraid NEMO is taking these steps because on mood on Ambergris is panicky. Journey's End and Captain Morgan's had already evacuated on Friday, yesterday I saw several businesses pulling the boards from their docks (way premature), and the Ferry has discontinued scheduled transportation to the North of the Island as of 3 pm today.

Not having had any warnings last year may be contributing to the mood, but I am afraid that some individuals in town are scaring newcomers with made up stories. Stay with the facts and keep your head cool, because panic can be far more dangerous and costly than the storm itself!!

Jan van Noord

FROM NEMO 3pm Sun

NEMO had a meeting this morning in Belmopan and subsequent to that the San Pedro Emergency Committee and Caye Caulker Emergency Committee were also meeting and continuing to monitor the activity of Hurricane Dean. We do not foresee going into Preliminary Phase before 6am Tomorrow morning.

The metrology department is putting the forecast track hitting land at just north of Majahual which puts Tropical storm force conditions as far south as Caye Caulker by Monday Midnight. At 11am this morning We put an advisory to the residents of both islands: If your home can not withstand tropical force winds of up to 60 MPH and you are living in very low lying area please evacuate to the Main land. To hoteliers please if your hotel cannot withstand tropical force winds of up to 60 MPH and if you cannot guarantee the safety of your guests please advise them to evacuate.

However the residents and tourists have been leaving the Islands steadily. We will have some numbers of the amounts of Evacuees after our meeting at 6pm this evening.

Marty #245481 08/19/07 09:15 PM
AT 8 PM EDT...0000 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF BELIZE HAS ISSUED A
HURRICANE WATCH FROM DANGIGA NORTHWARD TO THE BELIZE/MEXICO
BORDER...AND A TROPICAL STORM WATCH FROM SOUTH OF BELIZE CITY
SOUTHWARD TO THE BELIZE/GUATEMALA BORDER.

Marty #245482 08/19/07 09:23 PM
E
E
Wendy, remember Keith ?

Marty #245483 08/19/07 09:31 PM
hey miss lena, nice to hear from you. love your blog. we need to have lunch again, this time in Belize!!!!! Maybe in November when i am down next? was in dangriga briefly recently, came up from the south. bet we were really close. i was with katie valk and her delightful doggies

Ernie B #245484 08/19/07 09:36 PM
Ernie,

Keith was a late (Sept - Oct) tropical storm that originated off the coast of Honduras, and became a hurricane at the last minute. Dean on the other hand is an early hurricane that originated off the coast of West Africa. There is a big difference between the two.

Jan

[Linked Image]

Page 8 of 113 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 112 113

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.