Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Texas Cat,

We have also just celebrated our 20th aniversary in June.

And now as far as any tips are concerned...

(1) one of the "mistakes" that new divers make is to become very nervous and excited in the water; they breathe too fast and too shallow. Instead, relax when entering the water, imagine that you are in the swimming pool when taking your lessons. Concentrate on breathing in a slow, deep, and regulated manner.

Every new diver imagines that there is a

<font face="Impact" color="#990033" size="10">MAN-EATING SHARK!</font>

watching them and waiting to devour them! (My thanks to Stevenalice and my 18 year old son, John, for that!)

In 5 years of diving, we have only seen a couple of nurse sharks (and nurse sharks are very docile, wouldn't hurt a sand flea!), we even swam with one nurse shark in Cancun for 15 minutes; petting it and having our picture taken with it (divemaster used one of JaneinPa's large size baggies to keep camera dry).

(2) Secondly, when you are swimming along above the reef (though not too close to damage the reef); swim very slowly, this accomplishes two things: you don't overexert yourself and cause fast, shallow breathing; and more importantly, there are so many small creatures, such as banded shrimp, toadfish, sea horses (these are very hard to find), and many other critters to see on the reef that you will miss them if you go to fast. If your group is going to fast, ask the divemaster to slow down!

Our last trip to Belize (3 years ago) was after 20 dives and we were quite comfortable diving in the daytime, but that night dive really freaked-out Della - she held the divemasters hand for the entire dive. Now after 80 dives, she is ready to try this again. My only regret is that I waited so long to begin my scuba diving career!

You will really enjoy this sport.

[This message has been edited by patrick-e (edited 09-09-2000).]

B
B
Speaking of SHARKS, you can swim with them in AC at Shark-Ray Alley. When the boat pulls up there the rays and sharks (nurse sharks) come from everywhere. It is awesome!
We had done it once before in Grand Cayman, but I like it better in AC. You have to do it at least once. My first snorkeling trip in AC (many years ago), I jumped from the boat and landed right on top of a nurse shark (didn't actually touch it but almost). Scared me to death but the shark just swam a little bit away and settled back.

T
T
i'm afraid of sharks!!!!
pattrick-e do you and your wife like to party? we have 17 & 14 year old girls, we still can party & dance and looking forward to an escape to paradise.. how about you? you will know me by my blonde hair. i'm looking forward to meeting you & your wife.

OP Offline
TexasCat, We really enjoy relaxation on our vacation, and an evening out in paradise is no problem. We will surely meet you at Houston. I wish our flight was tomorrow, but still nearly 4 weeks away. By the way, Della is the blonde one in our family. If we miss you in Houston, you will know us by the large black canvas bag with wheels to carry our dive gear.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 75 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,206
Posts500,038
Members20,480
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.