Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
S
They've been here for a long time and 2 are Belizean.

Has anybody tried actually talking and reasoning with the owners of these operations ........ it is possible (not probable but possible) that they don't know the degree to which they ruining the very place they have to sell?

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I was stopped today by a Belizean on a golf cart pushing timeshares at Capn. Morgan's. When I said I lived here he drove of without another word. It's the third time in the last few days - it's definitely getting worse.

As Jan said, these land sharks are hungry.

Chris and I haven't been hassled too often - once they realize that they are dealing with somebody that WILL report them they back off very quickly.

You can challenge them for the their name, number and resort and tell them that you will be reporting them. The word will spread amongst them quickly and you won't be bothered - as much.

We all agree that the rules and the law needs to be enforced, it is unfortunate for us that the security forces are in full gear working with the campaiging polititions.

What if we get tshirts printed that say - I SAID no thanks! And on the back it can say - If you bother me again and ruin my experience on this island, I won't be back. And you will be out of a job.

Probably wouldn't take more than a week or 2 of our guests wearing those for the message to sink in.

If that is too expensive, maybe badges or one of the rubber bands that guests can wear on the wrist.

I heard one of those guys telling an older couple that he had 3 kids and he needed the money he would receive if they went to the time share presentation to pay for much needed school supplies and shoes. It was ridiculous. If they can't cajole they try the sympathy card and if that doesn't work they bully!

The photo taking thing works for me. As soon as I started taking pics of these guys that stopped operating within sight of our office.

The booth at Wild Mangoes is shutting down soon - their lease isn't be renewed. If other businesses followed suit (but they won't) then it might calm down a little.

When I went to Playa del Carmen last I stayed in a resort that sold timeshare. Nobody accosted any of our group during the visit. A small envelope was pushed under the door of the room inviting us to participate in a presentation, but that was it. On the beaches and streets some opc's eyed us up, saw that we were going to say no, and simply smiled, waved and bade us a good visit. That was it.

Somebody has the right formula - we need to get it and come back armed with the secret to ridding the island of obnoxious time share sales practices.

I know everybody needs to make a living, but hassling and harrassing our visitors to the point that they are afraid to walk the beaches and drive our streets is unacceptable.

Diane, many of these sales people are Brits. Because we are a member of the commonwealth it is quite simple for them to obtain work permits. It is a reciprocal arrangement for Belizeans that live in the UK.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Amanda would call the mayor. I think she would be more responsive to your call and it seems to be the most direct method having her trigger the police to pick them up for a conference on ethics and manners at the police station.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Its been done - but the cops are spread too thin working on security details and training camps in regards campaign issues. Elections are on Feb 7th, then we should be able to get the town board and police department lined out again. It is a high priority and the new chief is aware & concerned about the issue.

S
S
I was told that 2 timeshare persons were arrested on the beach just south of the high school this week.

The latest trick though is not to make the pitch while the tourists are standing on the beach but to drive up and offer them a ride and then pitch them once they have them on the move (this I witnessed.)

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Yayyyyyyyyyyy

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
That would be a cheap alternative for taxis; call your timeshare agent when you need to go somewhere and use earplugs during the ride.

Lan Sludder just posted a complaint about RV on the "other" message board. He said Reef Village RV timeshare sales people harrassed him on the road outside the condos themselves. This was a couple of weeks ago - not good to alienate a tour-guide-book writer ------- somebody needs to have a nice chat with Jules or Jeff on this.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,033
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.