Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#26954 09/17/00 09:00 AM
OP Offline
Ever been to the Grand Canyon? Ever wonder what it would feel like to fly?

Diving for me is the most wonderful, relaxing, peaceful thing I've ever done in my entire life.
The hard part is learning the do's and don'ts and learning all your gear and their purposes.
The funpart starts under water!

The reef here is like big canyons...huge walls of reef like the Grand Canyon, with deep cuts and gorges....sandy bottoms.

I like to hang right in the middle of the cuts...weightless...hold my arms out and pretend I'm flying...LOL Totally relax....and just listen to the sound of your breathing....nice and slow!

Every care in the world is lifted off you!

Swimming from the sandy bottoms....up the walls of the reef...admiring hundreds of the most beautifully colored fish...tiny little jueveniles....and big ones too. Like swimming in an enormous salt water aquarium!

The life is so diverse....you could hang over one small area for 30 minutes and still miss something.

It hard to imagine when looking at that flat reef line from the shore....just how huge that underwater world really is.

Most people never know or see the world under the water. It's a heavenly place!

I only wish I had enough tanks to stay under for ever....LOL

If you allow yourself to really relax....and take your time to enjoy every detail....it becomes like a drug. You want more and more!

ADDICTIVE! [Linked Image]

Go for it Mom....I'll go diving with you!
You can be my buddy....LOL

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 09-17-2000).]

#26955 09/17/00 10:07 AM
It really is like flying.
the closest i ever got. My daughter thought it would be claustrophobic, but sure changed her tune. Its like the opposite.

its amazing how much you can control your movement with just your breath. and if the current is behind you, you just float. like the guys in the space shuttles.

but the life around you is so incredible. i never knew there was more under the water than over it. animals, plants, rocks, canyons, it truely is incredible.

Its like being born into a new life.

#26956 09/17/00 10:12 AM
OP Offline
YEP!....my sentiments exactly!
Very powerful!
Almost like a religeous experience....LOL

#26957 09/17/00 11:31 AM
P
P
Yep! I agree.

Especially when you spy those lobster feelers just sticking out from under that ledge. You put on the brakes and glide down to get a sense of how big he is. He's a monster! You're seen and he retreats into his hole slightly. Not to be disueded, you reach in after him. Gently working your fingers and thumb down his feelers towards his head (take it easy, Bill!), over his horns and grab hold. Now's the important part, you must GENTLY work him out of his home (in case he's really a her!) so as not to break any appendages or disturb an egg clutch. Success! Measure him and bag him. Lobster for dinner tonight! "Fly" on to the next one - for your wife. Many times I think, "This is better than sex!" Of course, many times I am an idiot too.

Parrothead

#26958 09/17/00 11:32 AM
Oh My! Thanks a million for making my Sunday morning. You guys are the Best. Your have described, just what I was imagining it to be like. I got that insight, from just snorkeling. now you have comfirmed the feelings and beauty.

I am off to buy a Diving book, to learn the mechanics at least. I am also doing some pool excerises like flipping into the the water
backwards. Water was my enemy I thought for so many years, now it is my friend.

Going to S. Padre Island this week to check out a Dive Instructor I can relate too.

Thanks for being so supportive, dear daughter. Now I have to do this.

Dare To Deviate
#26959 09/17/00 03:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
ss, that was really beautiful! almost makes me want to think about it. i wont do it here, though. the only place to check out is a freezing cold dark quarry. the cool thing about getting certified in belize is the excellent belize dive flag log book ya get! (saw a friend's). good luck, chloe!

#26960 09/17/00 03:35 PM
Thanks Jane.

Dare To Deviate
#26961 09/18/00 10:56 AM
Question.
I am a "voluptuous" woman, and tend to be VERY bouyant. I dearly LOVE to snorkel and have for years, but have avoided diving for several reasons over the years....ie: landlocked, $$$$$$, no one to do it with, etc. etc. Now my son wants to learn, and I've toyed with the idea of learning with him. Will the fact that I'm more bouyant than most make diving more difficult????????

#26962 09/18/00 11:04 AM
My understanding is, they will put a weight belt on you. Now what is you excuse daughter?
LOL Took me forever to learn to swim, because my butt would pop to the surface, leaving my head in the water, finally I learned that was a good thing, just lift your head out of the water. I too, can float and snorkel forever.

Dare To Deviate
#26963 09/18/00 11:16 AM
OP Offline
LOL @ Debbie....join the club. I'm one of the "voluptuous" too! [Linked Image] You just have to wear more weight...which is a bitch until you get in the water...LOL...then you don't feel it. I save my weight belt for last.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 148 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,031
Members20,471
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.