Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi, first post, but I've enjoyed lurking for a while. Coming to AC in a couple weeks to look at Las Terrazas and Belize Legacy Resort properties. Any info about those places would be helpful (pm if you prefer), but mostly I'm curious about a statement in the Fishing section of the site: "Almost nobody fishes from the beach on AC, but then almost nobody fishes, period, out of AC."

I was going to bring my saltwater fly rod and bonefish flies and just walk the beach in those areas I mentioned, but is the statement above true? I don't have time to hire a guide this first trip, and don't care if I catch anything or even see anything, but I find it hard to believe that no one fishes from the beach in AC. I realize that the best flats are only boat accessible, but surely there are some areas around those two resorts that have wadeable flats? Thanks in advance.

skippy

Skippy, If the info you received from Las Terrazas was ""almost nobody fishes, period, out of AC". I'd look elsewhere for advise. There are beaches far north that have good fly fishing. However, most is done with a guide south, west and north of San pedro. Fly fishing is great for bones, permit and tarpon. I plan to arrive with my fly fishing partner Thursday PM.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
T
T
Skippy I would suggest that you look at The Phoenix as well. I looked at Las Terrazas and it is a beautiful property. But I bought at the Phoenix because the location is excellent and the property equally as nice. Being in town is a huge plus to my wife and I. The reason we fell in love with ambergris caye is the town of San Pedro. Good luck in your hunting.

One of the largest fishing flats on the east side of the island a located about a mile north of Las Terrazas in the area known as Flying Fisherman!

Bone and flats fishing are very, very popular activities here. El Pescador Hotel is practically dedicated to these sports/hobbies.

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the info! Actually, that comment about nobody fishes from shore in AC is by the author of the Fishing section of this site. Maybe it's an old article?

I will indeed check out the area north of Las Terrazas, and try to book a showing at Phoenix. Thanks, everyone.

I've seen bone fish caught right in front of Coco Locos and in the Boca del Rio area. They may not be as abundant as in the south end but they are there.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
S
Journey's End Hotel, walk north along the beach and there's a stretch a few miles long with plenty of Bones.

Caught bones in February wading the shoreline, mostly just north of Captn Shark's bait shop. Was using a 6 wt fresh water fly rig. Stayed at Banana Beach. Also saw bones cruising the cut and had a couple of good ones on just off the park.
Fished the edges of sea grass & sand patches in waist deep water.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.
S
S
FYI, Captain Shark's bait shop is no more. Use Wet Willy's if you're asking around for a reference point.

B
B
anyone know if you can purchase local flys there or buy/tie in states

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 271 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.