Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
If you want to read first hand just how much the kids recognize and appreciate what they are getting from going to Holy Cross School just read this blog entry. They are very appreciative that people care for them and take time to show it in many ways.

http://holycrossbelize.blogspot.com/2008/04/dear-friends-of-holy-cross-there-are-so.html

After taking Suecate and her family through San Mateo yesterday afternoon and seeing how much water was in their yards (and it has not been particularly rainy lately), I know the kids will be just thrilled that Dita Ed and everyone stepped up to make this playground a reality.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

P
P
There was a meeting in Belize City about this issue of donations. The country gets a lot of items donated, which is very nice. BUT many of the items are used and are donated because they original user is upgrading. So big items and electronic items get here, may or may not be valuable or usable here and end up in our waste stream that is just beginning to get managed and is overwhelmed. Items like computers and large plastics are toxic and seep in to the ground water. I am not saying to reject donated items but to be smart and make sure that what is coming makes sense.

I fully agree and I totally trust Dita and Ed's judgment.

They have put a lot of personal energy, time and effort into getting this together and getting extra donations to go along with it. Dita and Ed have been to the school, they know what a good cause it is and how much the kids appreciate the help. I know for the amount of work involved, they would not be doing it if they did not feel the playground was in good condition.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

I think Dita, Ed and their friends deserve major kudo's for their hard work in making this happen. The kids will be so beyond excited when it arrives! Big kudos to tacogirl on the SP end for the wonderful job she's doing (as usual!!!). You guys are making a difference!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
I worked in the non profit sector for much of my career. The issue of useful donations is an interesting one. Extensive research on donors, fundraising and charity marketing has shown how important it is to accept all donations, whether useful or not as refusing donations puts off the donor. A couple of examples:

When I was director of an animal shelter and vet clinic, an appeal had been made for newspapers as we used them to line cages and for bedding etc. The response locally was overwhelming. It got to the point that we were being given far more newspaper than we could actually use. We eventually decided to pay for monthly rental on a skip (I think North Americans call them dumpsters) to hold all the newspaper and we would then pay someone to take the surplus to the dump at the end of each month. Why? We worked out that the nominal cost of renting the skip and disposal still left us in great profit because of the good will generated. Every Christmas, all those people who donated paper would arrive with a cheque in their hand. While with the same organisation, we were approached by a gentleman who wanted to bury his dog in our pet cemetery. Unfortunately, we had no room for burials anymore and had built a crematorium so that there would be enough space to accomodate deceased pets. This gentleman was bereft and begged us for help. He offered us a measly donation to assist, but we bent the rules and buried his dog. Turned out he owned a bank. He gave us 100,000pounds towards a rebuild (and yes I know that is shocking when you think about the money available for charities in Belize) in donations and left a great deal of money to the charity in his will.

Community goodwill is the single most important factor when keeping a charity alive. Donors and supporters have to feel needed and appreciated or they drop off like flies. I witnessed one non profit here turn away a donation from a local business because it wasn't up to the standard of donations that they wished to receive. Unfortunately, they have now lost a future relationship with that business, which wanted to become a supporter of the charity and would have donated money and other items had they not felt 'put off' by the organisation.
While it is nice to think that donations are altruistic, they are not. People get a feelgood factor and if they are lucky, a tax deduction. When people try to help a charity and are told 'we don't need that kind of help', they tend to not bother again in future.

Non profit fund raising is all about developing and maintaining relationships with supporters.

Quite frankly, even if this playground was falling apart, as a charity director, I'd be grateful, I'd make my gratitude known and I'd do everything I could to enable the donor.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

P
P
I agree with what you have said except when you are talking about very large plastic items and electronics. Belize is a small country getting a lot of cast off donations that can , potentially, negatively impact the ground water. It is happening on a more macro scale than one organization. And if the playground is falling apart, why is it OK for children to use it ??? Before anyone goes on the attack, I am not saying the playground is falling apart just responding to the last sentence

I never suggested that a broken playground would be suitable for use. What I did say was that as a charity, even if a donation was broken or unsuitable in some other way, I would still be grateful that the donor had thought of us and made an effort because the goodwill generated through developing the relationship has greater value than the donation in most cases anyway.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Pam, who said the playground is falling apart? It appears that your stance is to turn down a donation without a thought to the intended donees' appreciation and use of it. I'm sure the donors are thoughtful in determining its condition and safety factors since it is intended for children. They kids will love it if it makes it down there.

P
P
Please take the time to actually read my entry.

Amen Colly - well said

I often watch how much the kids enjoy play on the playground in central park and it makes me happy that Dita, Ed and everyone else who helped out stepped up to help get another one to the Island - especially when it is going to an area where the kids can really benefit from a nice place to play - many of them do not have suitable yards to play in.

This playground is going to help them appreciate and enjoy going to school that much more.

It also teaches them the value of helping others by experiencing first hand how it feels to be helped and have their health and wellbeing thought of by others.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.