Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Well I only have $50, but I'm relying on a Gov Handout for the rest smile

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
reaper Offline OP
OP Offline
Well you bid, so I expect a check to Holy Cross for $375. You and Ernie can hold hands in the plane if you get skeered!

Looks like the school needs more help now than ever!

On Wednesday, Francis Wilson of Holy Cross Anglican School spoke publicly of a letter addressed to her from Marlene Leslie, General Manager of Anglican Schools. The letter sent shock waves throughout the island, especially to the board of directors of Holy Cross and parents of students that attend the institution. "The authorities are concerned [�] with the physical condition being as it is around the school. They are concerned about the health factor. Believe me it is a time bomb. They are seriously talking about closing the school or re-locating it to the old medical facility after re-furbishing," stated the letter. Holy Cross Anglican School rests on eight acres of swamp land donated to the Anglican Diocese by the Government of Belize in 2006 and lies in the San Mateo Subdivision.

Investigations have revealed that on July 5th, 2008, three-year-old Zoila Ack was at home in the San Mateo Area when she accidentally fell into the lagoon that surrounds her house. A previous wound to her foot became infected and after seeking emergency care at Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital, Ack died while returning to San Pedro.

On July 18th, 2008, water samples of the lagoon were tested and Thomas Flowers, San Pedro Public Health Inspector, wrote: "After vigorous testing of water samples taken from the San Mateo Area [�] it has come to the attention [�] that the ground water (lagoon) in that area is heavily contaminated. The water analyst on staff has pointed out that the contaminants are mostly fecal contamination indicating fecal waste pollution in that area. [�] It was noticed that there were no proper sewer systems in place [�]. Those who had primitive septic systems still run the risk of contaminants because of the high water table in San Mateo. [�] My recommendation would be to lobby either the Government of Belize (local or otherwise) or an NGO for help in this area." A water sample was taken from the Holy Cross Kitchen Area and the results showed that the treated school water was not contaminated.

An interview with Mayor Elsa Paz revealed that San Mateo is not only lacking a proper sewage system but it does not have the proper roads or infrastructure needed to put one in place. Road construction and infrastructure do not lie within the San Pedro Town Council's jurisdiction (road maintenance does). As such, the Mayor, along with Minister of Tourism Manuel Heredia began lobbying Central Government for assistance for the residents of San Mateo. An initial walk through was conducted at the Subdivision and included a visit to Holy Cross.

A follow up meeting was held at the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) conference room and included the presence of the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO), Belize Water Services Limited, Ministries of Education, Health and Works, as well as Marlene Leslie of the Anglican Diocese.

Since the school is in the San Mateo Area it is strongly believed that the school should be temporarily moved to prevent a health hazard to its students and faculty. According to Wilson, the water used at the school is treated and the grounds have been worked on to be filled. "The issue that needs dire assistance is San Mateo. Our school provides a safe haven for our students. Many of our students come from the subdivision, and, at least, while they are in school, are in a clean and dry environment, well fed, educated, provided with dental and medical care and tons of love," Wilson explained.

Honorable Manuel Heredia Jr. stated that the matter has been presented to Cabinet and it is government's strong stand that Holy Cross will remain open. Solutions to address the health hazards, as well as the living conditions of San Mateo residents are being discussed as of press time.

Six calls placed to Marlene Leslie were unreturned and The San Pedro Sun was told she was unavailable for comment. Calls placed to both George Lovell of NEMO, who was present at the meeting, and Minister of Education Patrick Faber were both fruitless, as well.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
reaper Offline OP
OP Offline
So Pug, was $375 a serious bid? Who are you jumping with for your 2 for one deal?

$400, won't be here at 12 noon Belize time. Off to get a haircut smile Bye

So the bids are a 2 for 1 deal? One price, 2 people jump?

Ernie tells me it is 2 for 1 so I will bid $425....

reaper Offline OP
OP Offline
Woohooo!!!!!!! Dita bids $425!!!!!!! Do I hear $450? $450 going once...

E
E
SELL IT !

reaper Offline OP
OP Offline
OK kids! Thanks for the generous bids.

DITA, $425 to Holy Cross! Thanks and I'll see you and Rambo in the plane!

Windjammer, I'm feeling especially giving today and know it will be your birthday in February...so...$400 and you have 2 jumps also!!!! And yes, we will sing to you again!

Belize in US, You stepped up and bid, so match either of the girls bids and you are in also!

All bidders will get video and stills with their jumps!

I'll see you guys in freefall over the reef...WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 111 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,044
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.