Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Lucy44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by mymyheyhay
I'm taking my mom down some food items and taking some school supplies to CC. Should I declare this stuff or just play dumb? Do they look in ALL suitcases or is it random? I haven't been down in quite a few years.

The couple of times I've flown in, I declared the school supplies. I had no trouble and paid no duty. They did have a cursory look in our bags though.
I think I told them they were donations for the schools, which they were. Perhaps most school items declared as a donation might be allowed in without duty. Just don't call them "office supplies." I hear they charge plenty for those.

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, racism and narrow mindedness" - Mark Twain
lil'red #311355 11/18/08 08:46 AM
G
G
My husband Datallmon, is a business person and flies in and out weekly. He may bring things or not, but when he does he picks something to declare and it makes them happy. I have imported paint, kitchen appliances, lighting for my house, and have found people in Miami will send a "preferred" invoice, if you get my drift. I have been honest and have paid through the wazoo. Also shipping through Hyde is much cheaper than air freight, and did you get from Jesse's post...you pay duty on the freight on top of the item. Also get a good agent. I like Mike Torres.

GwenA #311383 11/18/08 11:06 AM
P
P
In my view anyone that smuggles goods into the country, especially for commercial gain, loses their right to complain at the countries lack of services and infrastructure.

Phil #311386 11/18/08 11:14 AM
Thanks Phil - glad to know I am not the only one that feels that way.

Why do they think stuff is expensive in the stores? It's because they pay taxes & stamp duties and still need to be able to make a profit.

And if we don't support our local stores they will stop stocking the luxury items that we enjoy.

great, now i feel just terrible. i'm going to return the $60US worth of computer parts that i thought were duty free to begin with, and go splash out $300US for the same parts! just so you know i'm doing my part!

edit: i saw a dealer advertising a Kawasaki motorcycle i was interested in. a KLX450. this dealer wanted nearly $21,000BZ for it.
every other country in the world sells them for around $6,600US.
now, these dealers in those country's need to pay duty and make a profit as well right? i just don't understand.
if they sell one i would be amazed.

Last edited by Barnacle; 11/18/08 12:08 PM.
I think computer parts are duty free - but you still have to pay gst of 10% as well as the 2% environmental tax.

Vehicle import duties are high somewhere in the region of 52%.

OK,, that's 12% tax. how can they justify almost 400% markup on computer parts?
it's no wonder allot of Belizeans can't afford anything above the basic chinese junk.

T
T
No need to smuggle Chocolate!! some of the best chocolate I have ever eaten is made right here in San Pedro by Kakaw.

I can't even touch a snikers or such any more becuase it just tastes like wax lard and sugar.

100% natural 100% organic 100% good.

I ate one yesterday and I have to agree.
yummy and its a 100% Belizean product.
i like that

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #311412 11/18/08 01:06 PM
M
M
When I'm home or when I'm away, I always try to buy local. I will do the same in Belize. I usually like local better, and I like to support "the little guy". But mom HAS to have Lindt chocolate. She even gave me a cocoa percentage! She wants 10 bars. Her little craving from being away from the states I guess. I will tell her about Kakaw though. Thanks for the info.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.