Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#325871 03/01/09 10:07 AM
G
GwenA Offline OP
OP Offline
G
As an owner of beloved pet cats (and a dog), there aren't decent cat products on the Island. Currently there isn't scoopable cat litter. If one is supposed to keep their cats indoors so they aren't killed by dogs or poison, this is a necessity.
There is only Whiskas dry food which is only 31% protein and has no urninary health qualities. If one is to have a healthy and long lived pet cat they need quality food. It is gruesome to have a cat die of bladder and urniary problems. We have some canned foods, but they aren't the best, and get expensive fast.
SAGA and FOTHS is doing great things to help the underprivileged animals. But, if the healthy animals get adopted to good homes, they need good pet products, and owner care to have a long and healthy life. Lets work to get some good food and litter to keep cats safe. I have complained to store owners, but it doesn't seem to work.

I get my supplies out of Belize City.

Island Supermarket carries Purina cat chow.

Pampered Paws usually carries some of the Iams special diet foods.

Have you checked some of the hardware stores for kitty litter? Sometime you can find unexpected stuff in the strangest places.

Complaints to the shop keepers is just a waste of time. Telling them what you would like, showing them an example and informing them where they can get the products tends to reap successful results.

If you want specialty foods it isn't really that hard to import the stuff. You want to order in some type of bulk since BAHA permits are $50 per shipment then you have duty and shipping costs, broker fees etc. Still, at least you can get exactly what you want, and it is still usually cheaper than the store will charge because obviously they need to make a profit.

S
S
Just an fyi that we have discovered that the clumping kitty litter doesn't work well here due to the high humidity levels. The regular kind works much better...

Also, Island Supermarket usually has different varieties of cat food (brands / food items carried in general are not consistent either). When we see certain items we know we like, we grab it up.

S
S
It's all a conspiracy by the Dog People!

S
S
I caved in a bought some of that crystal litter. Way better than sand, clay or any of the others I've tried. Will probably stick with it if it continues to last.

Really? I was curious about it. Is it truly worth the bucks?

which cat food does have good urinary health qualities? my cats seem to like (taste wise) Purina cat chow the best -- they are not that fond of whiskas but will eat it. i would chip in with others interested in doing some bulk purchasing of a good food as long as I know my cats like it (you know how finicky they can be . . .)

Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com
S
S
Judging by the complete lack of smell it does seem to be worth it. I'll have to wait and see how long it is before I have to change it before I can tell if it's economical.

Cats! We don't need no stinkin cats!

P
P
My cats like some varieties of Whiskas but prefer Purina. As to litter they go outside so I don't use it, but the health inspector would have to be very perverse and come right onto my property for the cats to get what he distributes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (Donald), 137 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.