Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#342016 06/21/09 11:47 AM
P
OP Offline
P
A few times recently, including just now, I've selected this forum from my Firefox Favorites and up came "VBuzzer" instead. The second time I selected AC I got it.

What's happening?

Sounds like operator error or weird host file if windows

P
OP Offline
P
It wasn't operator error by me, as I've never selected VBuzzer and don't have it in my favourites. It was using Vista and Firefox. I've had similar things happen before, both in Belize and the UK, but never VBuzzer before. It wasn't just the "home" page of VBuzzer, but a "Belize-ised" sub-page.

Maybe a virus taking over your hosts file?

P
OP Offline
P
I hope not and believe not, but I'll do a full scan tonight.

just open your hosts file and see if there are any entries.

The path is something like:

system32\drivers\etc\hosts. (no extension)

P
OP Offline
P
Two entries:-
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

Anything there to worry about?

My virus scan (with Bullguard) was clean.

no. That's the way it should be.

S
SJC Offline
S
There are several things that could be happening and they range from annoying to serious infection.

Possible causes

1) Double-Clicking. Vbuzzer looks like a type of company that may advertise on this site. Its possible that this site was loading and you clicked some where on the page before it was done and went to the Vbuzzer site. This is not likely as you said its happened several times

2)Local Cache problem. Website are often cached to speed up browsing, the address reside in cache and its possible that you have a bad address there. You can clear the cache on Firefox by going to Tools, Options, Privacy tab then clicking on Clear Now. You can deselect everything except Cache (or select everything except Saved Passwords if you want)

3) Local Install issue. I looked around and I dont see lots of complaints about vBuzzer spyware or hijacks but there are several VBuzzer apps that can be installed such as a messenger. you may have one installed on one of the apps settings is to set your page to re-direct to VBuzzer. This is not a problem, just annoying.

4) Try checking your Homepage. Tools, Options, Main, Home Page. Many apps change this for you without you knowing. If you reset it and it comes back you have an issue

There are lots of other causes but these are a few. Also the fact its so random makes it hard to guess. Most of the time if its something above it happens all of the time vs just at random time

P
OP Offline
P
It happened twice in the space of an hour, but hadn't happened before and hasn't happened since. I have had similar issues once in a blue moon in England. I've checked (had already checked) everything you've suggested and everything seems to be in the clear. But it's not doing it now anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 152 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.