Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Originally Posted by lovey and thurston
The things I wouldn't trade:

Knowing if I had a problem, someone would probably have a Fund raising barbque, blood drive etc. if I really needed their help/

..and, lovey, that was the bottom line issue for me...what if, g-d forbid, thurston (or for me, bruce) had a heart attack while there....

Hon Offline
Girl, you are in for a culture shock! Some people handle it well and others, not so much.

My 4 cents worth...don't plan to come down for a year. Make your plans for 1 -3 months to get a feel for the place. Almost everyone on this board, including me, loves San Pedro but I know several people who visited once and will never set foot on the caye again. It's not for everyone.

Think about leaving the Newf at home for the first visit. The climate, especially in the summer or early fall, would be hell for your dog. Don't underestimate the risk of possible serious health complications that a complete lifestyle change can have on Storm's (my granddaughter's name, btw) health.

Finally, (and I am typing this in the nicest possible way) I think your expectations are totally out of whack with the reality of living in San Pedro. Can't live without an Escalade and OnStar? Need a UPS man? Afraid of iguanas and wildlife (there are huge saltwater crocodiles too, you know)? You need to stay in North America, darlin'.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
S
S
Michelle may not understand that Ambergris Caye is a small island and not on the mainland of Belize. Like any island, everything is essentially imported and therefore more expensive (if you can even get it).

It is also a little laid back, unpretentious, beach town / fishing village and our feet, bikes, boats and golf carts get us from here to there just fine. There are a few real cars, but I for one wish they weren't allowed. These automobiles aren't necessary, except perhaps to haul things other than persons (and spoil the ambience).

There are a few fashionable people on the island (mostly the tourists and a few well heeled locals), but overall very relaxed.... we even have "stuff swaps" at Pedro's on occasion and exchange clothing and goods we don't use (we have really scored at these!). It's a hoot and much better than consignment or goodwill because you actually know the previous owner!

That said, I have always held the position that it is always better to "run to" rather than "run from" (pertains to love, career, and residence of choice). Look before you leap -as there are many great places to retire to. Just take the time to find the right "fit". Check out Placencia, Belize - it seems to be a great place also, just a little difference feel.

I still miss my Jag, but she wouldn't like it here and that's ok. I have all of my animals and they love it! smile

OP Offline
Thanks, but the "CROC" thing did it for me. I thought the person was joking at first. I had already read up on the Iguana, and figured them really not to be a big deal.
But my fear of Crocs is so bad, that finding out it was true they were there in Belize, I actually became nauseous. Severely. I have never had any desire to see Florida, and refused to go to Knott's Berry Farm when they had the Alligator House next door to it (fearing one could get over to the amusement park).

I have a 20 year old African Spur thigh Tortoise named Elvis who weighs over 100 lbs - I am not afraid of all reptiles, but the fear of a Croc getting my dog brings me to my knees. Those things just creep me out! Oh, no no way.

Guess I am back to looking into getting a place where mom is (who hates my dog) in Palma Nova.
Ok, Spain is nice.

Mom - Crocs - Mom-Crocs - Six of one - Half a dozen of the other smirk

Michelle

Michelleinlaguna.pixplug.com

(sorry, @pixplug - was incorrect)
S
S
We still love you!

L
L
Spain rocks - that is a place I could live for awhile!

hardy har har hahahahahahahahahaaha! but yes, it's all good advice, for the most part.

I hate birds . . .do they have birds there??? shocked

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
H
H
You probably wouldn't hate birds so much if you hadn't been given so many! grin

Originally Posted by michelleinlaguna
So you have NO personal vehicles at all other than the carts?
No one takes their car or truck down? What happens for long trips you may want or need to take?

I got a monorail pass from Colly and it is better than the subway!

But why eat my vegetables I already know that I am short!
www.carbunkletrumpet.wordpress.com
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.