Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35010 02/18/01 09:53 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I'll be visiting Ambergris Cay for the first time next year in Jan/Feb 2002. I just returned from Cozumel and came up with a brainstorm for our vacation next year! My plan is to stay in Cozumel for a week, then take a ferry to Playa De Carmen. Then drive or bus it over the border into Belize. Has anyone out there considered this or actually done it ?? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Rob

W
W
We took this route December 2000. Only we came from Cancun. We know the Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen area well. You need to catch a bus from Playa to Chetumal, Mx.(This is a 4 to 5 hour ride). The bus is very comfortable, they even show movies. Take a taxi to get to the border of Belize,(15 mins). They will take you across the border but it was too expensive for us. We travel light so we were able to walk across the border. When you cross the border to Belize you will be in Corozol. Take a taxi to the airport and then a 15 min plane ride from there to Ambergris Caye. You will need to start out early, because I think the last plane out of Corozol is around 3:30pm.

We use to be avid Cozumel vacationers. I think you'll like Ambergris Caye better. The diving and snorkeling are great. The people all speak english, and are so very friendly.
You too will BELIZE IT !!!

I too have done this ... from Playa. Just take the ferry over from Coz -- about an hour as I recall and six or seven bucks. It's about a 5 to 6 hour trip from Playa, depending on traffic and the class of bus. Cost should be under US$15. I think I last paid about US$9 but that rates have increased. ADO is one of the bus lines that makes the trip.

There are two terminals in Chetumal, the main terminal and the new market, and Batty and Venus will be your choices depending on where you are in Chetumal. You can take a taxi to the border, but it's cheaper to just take a Belize bus. You'll get off at the Mexican side, then reboard to cross the Rio Hondo to the Belize side, where you'll you go through Belize customs and immigration. The Belize/Venus bus to Corozal is maybe US$1 and to Belize City around US$7 (this is from memory -- I may be off a dollar or two.) The Belize buses are mostly recycled U.S. school bus or Greyhounds, though there are a few deluxe A/C express buses. The Mexican buses are quite nice, with reserved seats, videos, bathrooms, some even have refreshments.

It's a pleasant enough trip but it basically eats up a full day of vacation. It's not something I'd do very often.

I agree -- San Pedro is so much nicer than Coz it's not even funny. I don't care much anymore for the Carlos & Charlies/Planet Hollywood/vomiting cruise ships atmosphere of Coz.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks Lan & We_Belize !! Your comments have
been inspiring and greatly appreciated. I knew someone out there must have done this before. Can you tell me if the bus stops anywhere on the way to Belize ?? Also, since you guys are seasoned veterans of Belize, maybe you can give me some suggestions on places to stay ?? I rented a Villa in Cozumel last month and my wife and I really enjoyed it. I enjoy the diving in Cozumel, I just wish there was a few wrecks to dive [Linked Image]
I'll be counting the days till next year !!!
Rob

R
OP Offline
R
Oh yes, one more thing. We can take a plane from Corozol ?? If so, do you remember the price of the flight ? or do we have to bus it to Belize City then Fly/boat to Ambergris Cay ? Rob

I don't know what the current situation is but last time I took the bus from Playa it stopped only once, in a town about half-way to Chetumal. Forget the name. Might have been Felipe Carillo Puerto. Some buses are local and stop frequently, so get a first class or deluxe class bus. Once you transfer to a Batty or Venus bus in Chetumal then it will stop at the border and then, again depending on whether it is an express or not, a number of times between there and the terminal in Belize City.

There is no direct air service from Coz to Belize City or Ambergris Caye. You can fly to Cancun and then AeroCaribe from Cancun to Belize City and from there Maya Island or Tropic to San Pedro. I don't recall the exact fare from Cancun but it is around US$125 one-way and then (from international) about US$46 to San Pedro -- about half that if you fly from muncipal, which is what you can easily do if you come in on the bus, or you can take a ferry/water taxi for US$12.50.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
Oops, I see that you said take a plane from Corozal, not Cozumel. Yes, you can fly to San Pedro from the Corozal strip. That would be easier, and not too much more expensive, than busing it into Belize City and taking a ferry or plane from there.

One other thing you might want to look at is flying from Coz to Cancun to Chetumal. Flights (again, Aerocaribe) within Mexico tend to be cheaper and more frequent than to Belize.

Also worth considering is staying a few days in Chetumal and Corozal Town. Chetumal is a pleasant, inexpensive and untouristy little city, and Corozal is a pleasant, inexpensive and untouristy town.

Not to knock San Pedro or Cozumel but there are many out of the way places in both the Yucatan and in Belize that get overlooked, yet which offer a wonderful experience at a fraction of the cost of the tourist centers.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
R
OP Offline
R
Wow !!! Your a wealth of information Lan !!
I also just figured out why !!! I just checked out the site for Belize first magazine and your all over it. Since I am new to this message board and will be a new visitor to AC/Belize shortly. I would like to compliment you on your quick replys and information. It is nice to know that there are people out there that take the time to share their knowledge and experiences. I also look forward to possibly subscribing or purchasing some maps/books on Belize, part of the research is what makes it fun. Thanks again, Rob

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 101 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,032
Members20,472
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.