Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by seashell
I recently heard (or read) of a woman that had her hand severely bitten by a moray, on a Galapagos dive. I guess that was PADI's fault too. smile

By the way, thanks Gaz. GREAT description! You got my heart rate up.

Yes the Galapgos is crawling with Morays and its a very good idea to wear gloves, you dont normally see the Morays as your staring up at the Sharks and all the big stuff happening aorund you, I remember on a dive at Darwins holding onto the rocks in the current with all the Sharks I felt something move in between my legs looked down and almost jumped out of my skin as your a littel on edge anyway cause of all the sharks and current etc. I had 2 Huge Morays swimming inbetwen my legs definatley not shy.

I looked down a bit more often after that LOL

Gaz

Originally Posted by Peter Jones
All I'll say is that Undercurrent is the most reputable diving magazine in the world.

Not sure I would go that far but they are ok, but unfortunately they only give one side of the story and I am sure the husband is looking for a payday all to easy to blame it on the crew, Padi whoever booked them. every person except the one that should of known there limitations

I would like to see the whole article as it difficult to see who could be at fault from the little titbit that you posted Peter

i dont subscribe t undercurrent

Gaz

LOL!!

Well, Gaz, as you know, doesn't pay to be too worried about what happens under water, as long as we can still breathe until we get to the surface.

I've had nurse sharks swimming and bumping between my legs just off of San Pedro, go figure. Just happened last year after all these dives.

And then a couple of years ago in the Blue Hole, I had a local shark decide to come over and sniff me out. Well, heck, that was, um, exciting . . fortunately, it's not like I was a virgin since I'd already had a serious attempt for a date with a shark in the Cook Islands.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

P
OP Offline
P
Well, read the article. It's not an editorial but a reprint of the husband's report, but Undercurrent wouldn't have printed it if they hadn't agreed with it. I copied that bit because it's something I happen to agree with.

I haven't dived in that particular place (too many $ for me) but the point isn't about the staff on that particular dive - it's that it's too easy to progress in recreational diving these days. It obviously isn't saying that all DMs and Instructors are below par, but that the entry requirement is too low and too little experience is required.

On a check dive for a liveaboard in the Red Sea once I had to rescue the guy who was meant to be assessing me. Turned out he was a new instructor with only slightly over 100 dives. I wasn't even a DM at that point, but I had 700+ dives so was more able to cope when something went wrong. He had never been prepared for the situation and he panicked. If I had been a low-experience diver I'm not sure how that would have turned out for him.

Well, son of a gun, sh*t happens. The poor kid DM . . .I guess he learned some great lessons along the way. Imagine that.

On the other hand, why on earth, after 700+ dives would ANYONE bother to become a divemaster.

hee hee

smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,205
Posts500,037
Members20,476
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.